Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New shoes - Volk TE-37

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 08:31 PM
SB
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, tire rack only shows 18" wheels for '05 carrera coupe (non-s ). I called them to let them know that these wheels fit S as well, so they may update their web site.
I liked T888 very much. They don't have the ultimate grip of Michelin Pilot Cups, but the loss of traction is much more progressive, making you comfortable staying on the limit of adhesion....and sometimes beyond.

In one of the one of the first track session they felt greasy, but I believe it was either because they were new or because I was running 31psi hot tire pressures, which is too low for this tire. They like around 36psi hot.

In later sessions the tires felt rock solid throughout track sessions.

Serge

Originally Posted by surfingbuddhist
Those look great! Is this going to be your everyday wheel/tire or just track/autocross set up? From the pics I thought you were on RA-1's. How are the T888's? On the Tirerack site they only show 19's, right?
Old 08-13-2007, 10:15 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Serge, any idea how the Toyo RA1 compares to your R888? What are the offset's of these wheels?

thanks! Mike
Old 08-13-2007, 02:24 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

They look great -- super combination with the 888. The only positive with the 3-piece (like my Fikse) is component replacement. It just so happens that one of my center pieces was damaged in the balancing process and they ordered a new center and swapped it out (vs. getting another wheel). If I didn't get a sweetheart deal on the Fiskes, these are what I was going to buy. Great value -- super strong, light (my Fikses are in the same ballpark), etc.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:58 PM
SB
Instructor

Originally Posted by mdrums
Serge, any idea how the Toyo RA1 compares to your R888? What are the offset's of these wheels?

thanks! Mike
I have no experience with RA1 so I cannot comment on that.

Tire sizes and offsets are:

Volk TE37 wheels in 18x8.5 50mm offset 245/40ZR18
Volk TE37 wheels in 18x11 59mm offset 305/35ZR18
Old 08-13-2007, 06:03 PM
SB
Instructor

Thanks Ron... My only slight concern was replacement. However, because these we quite a bit cheaper, I can probably buy a couple of new wheels and still be ahead of the game. BTW, How much is a job to replace the outer lip on custom wheel like Fikse (hardware included)?

Serge

Originally Posted by RonCT
They look great -- super combination with the 888. The only positive with the 3-piece (like my Fikse) is component replacement. It just so happens that one of my center pieces was damaged in the balancing process and they ordered a new center and swapped it out (vs. getting another wheel). If I didn't get a sweetheart deal on the Fiskes, these are what I was going to buy. Great value -- super strong, light (my Fikses are in the same ballpark), etc.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:43 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Thanks SB...I am about to pull the plug on some track tires and wheels in the next week. I am just trying to keep it at around $3000 to not more than 3500. Both you and RonCt are running Toyo brand of tires which I have zero experiance with this brand. I am also looking at Michelin Cup's too.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:23 PM
intense_tracer
Track Day

SB,

Did your TE37s come with new matching lugs nuts or did you use the oem ones? Looking on the VOLK website, it states that "genuine nuts and bolts cannot be used" and I've also read else where that new lug nuts ones are needed since the nut seat angle is different from stock.

I'm looking to get these for track use. Is the low weight noticeable when compared to your stock wheels?

Thanks.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:48 PM
SB
Instructor

Originally Posted by intense_tracer
SB,

Did your TE37s come with new matching lugs nuts or did you use the oem ones? Looking on the VOLK website, it states that "genuine nuts and bolts cannot be used" and I've also read else where that new lug nuts ones are needed since the nut seat angle is different from stock.

I'm looking to get these for track use. Is the low weight noticeable when compared to your stock wheels?

Thanks.
I am using oem lug nuts. I bought my wheels from tire rack and they didn't say anything about lug nuts. When I first mounted the wheels, I looked at the lug nuts and they seem to match the seat profile perfectly. I've had only one event and everything went great. I didn't need to re torque the wheels between sessions. But probably worth a call to Tire rack to confirm.

As far as weight goes, I have different tires and therefore it is not an apples to apples comparison.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:08 PM
intense_tracer
Track Day

SB, great to know. I think I may go ahead and get these. My other choice was take off Carrera Classics 19in (for more of a factory look), but the TE37s do weigh about 14lbs less for the complete set. I'm waiting for a call back from TireRack, so I'll let you know what I find out too about the lug nuts. I'm planning on running the R888s on these, so can't wait to get them on.
Old 10-16-2007, 04:34 PM
intense_tracer
Track Day

Just wanted to follow up on these wheels. I just got mine in, and they are hub centric and they use the stock Porsche lugs (R-14 type). There are other non Porsche TE37s which have different lug types, so please check first. Here's picture of the wheel. (20lb front and 22lb rear)
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: New shoes - Volk TE-37