Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back in Black - Got a 997 C2 today to bridge the extended Turbo wait...

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007 | 08:38 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Default Back in Black - Got a 997 C2 today to bridge the extended Turbo wait...

As some of you may remember, I sold my ‘06 997S Cab in August and placed an order for a Turbo (March delivery). After much contemplation, I finally decided to do the European delivery, but for scheduling reasons I won’t be able to do that until MY ‘09, so we had to change the order today.

Since I was already suffering from withdrawal symptoms, I decided not to leave the dealership without buying another 997, so I picked up a new leftover ‘07 997 C2 in basalt black with stone interior (same as my Turbo order). Sticker was $80,735 and I got a discount along the lines of what was mentioned here a couple of days ago in another thread. It had 42 miles on it and the optional goodies are: bi-xenon, Bose, heated power seats, colored wheel caps, multi-function steering, floor mats, plus an unnecessary phone module but - woo hoo - NO WART!

At first I left my new car at the dealership because we are having really poopy weather here today, but then I went back and picked it up, despite the heavy rain. Oh man, it was SO SO SO GOOD driving a Porsche again. It’s just something completely different. Well, you guys know what I mean.

Some time soon I’ll take it to Hans @ Ruf in Dallas to have it lowered and spaced. I just want a slightly sportier look. I’m also getting the all-red rear lights, but as with my cab, I sort of like the orange blinkers, so I may keep them.

Because of the weather, I only took one picture at the dealership before leaving, but I will soon post more (probably after my Ruf visit). I’m so glad to be back in a 997, you have no idea!!!

Last edited by Soulteacher; 02-11-2008 at 02:29 AM.
Old 10-15-2007 | 08:59 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Sweet.

European delivery is something on my to-do list as well.
Old 10-15-2007 | 09:50 PM
seattle_sun
Pro

How do you find the C2 vs the C2S?
Old 10-15-2007 | 10:08 PM
neil.schneider
Drifting

Wow, what a story. Congrats on the ride.
Old 10-15-2007 | 10:09 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by seattle_sun
How do you find the C2 vs the C2S?
That's a good question, but I'm not sure, as I really only drove that thing home today because of the rain. Some observations, though:

One first impression was that the ride was softer (could be 18" versus 19" wheels, or just the tire pressure). Personally, I like the looks of the lobster wheels on the S better, though. Still thinking about trading wheels.

Not sure if I could possibly notice the 30 hp difference as I traded in my C2S in August already and have driven a Mazda Tribute since. So of course the Porsche acceleration was fantastic.

I, personally, don't track my cars and I'm not capable of pushing any Porsche to its limits (my fear sets in before the Porsche gets even close to its limits). So I don't think I will miss Sport Chrono or PASM at all. But that's just me. Maybe PASM because I like the 10mm lower position of the S, which is why I'm going to lower this one, too. But I definitely don't miss the wart.

Brakes: Yes, I think I felt a difference. The S brakes were monsters. But, again, today it was rainy and I did not go very fast.

So I guess these are my initial observations. Maybe I find more after this thing is broken in. Good question, though.
Old 10-15-2007 | 10:49 PM
AP997S
Pro

I'm puzzled . . . From a Turbo to a non S 997.
Old 10-15-2007 | 11:06 PM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Welcome back.....Hope all goes as planned for delivery of the Turbo
Old 10-15-2007 | 11:32 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by neil.schneider
Congrats on the ride.
Thanks, Neil.

Originally Posted by AP997S
I'm puzzled . . . From a Turbo to a non S 997.
Well, technically it's from "nothing right now and a Turbo in five months", to "something right now and a Turbo with European delivery in the near future"... but I see your point and it wasn't an easy decision. I'm still getting the Turbo, but I want the European Delivery, and good things come to those who wait... at least a bit... well, not too much... really, actually I don't want to wait...

Originally Posted by Holli82
Welcome back.....Hope all goes as planned for delivery of the Turbo
Thanks!
Old 10-16-2007 | 12:12 AM

Congrats on the new C2!

Any chance the 09 TT could be.........should I dare ask...Slate???

Last edited by 500; 10-16-2007 at 12:53 AM.
Old 10-16-2007 | 01:13 AM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 500
Any chance the 09 TT could be.........should I dare ask...Slate???
Not really, just insofar as it will have a clean slate and be slated for European delivery...
Old 10-16-2007 | 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by Soulteacher
Not really, just insofar as it will have a clean slate and be slated for European delivery...
lol...not like it's cut in slate...err...stone...
Old 10-16-2007 | 01:56 AM
PAULSPEED
Pro

Hi,
Surprised you did not go with a Caymen before the Turbo. The
difference would be out of this world. Still, you will
notice the difference. The 50HP plus will be fast. Hope you
get a chance to drive the high Switzerland hills. That might
be the ultimate Porsche ride.
Paul
Old 10-16-2007 | 10:37 AM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

Congrats! I really like the setup. It is a Porsche in its simplest form. I have a Silver C2 and like you hardly ever get it near it's limits. If I could make changes I would get rid of the wart, and 19" lobsters and perhaps get basalt black. Sound familiar? I would be very interested in your feedback on the car, as I enjoy your posts. Drop me a note before you come to Dallas, and perhaps we can get a few of the lads together for lunch.

Cheers.
Old 10-16-2007 | 05:24 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PAULSPEED
Hope you get a chance to drive the high Switzerland hills. That might be the ultimate Porsche ride.
I totally agree as I've been there with other cars. That's one of the things I want to do. And that's why scheduling is such a big issue: I don't really want to go up there in the snow.

Originally Posted by Alstoy
Congrats! I really like the setup. It is a Porsche in its simplest form. I have a Silver C2 and like you hardly ever get it near it's limits. If I could make changes I would get rid of the wart, and 19" lobsters and perhaps get basalt black. Sound familiar? I would be very interested in your feedback on the car, as I enjoy your posts. Drop me a note before you come to Dallas, and perhaps we can get a few of the lads together for lunch. Cheers.
Thanks, I will let you know! I'm with you... I like the fact that I don't have the wart anymore and - realistically - this Porsche is all I really need. But of course it's all about the wants, so I don't see myself giving up on the Turbo idea. :-) The wheels, by the way, are growing on me. But I need it a little bit lower.

More pics from earlier today (the rear was already so dirty, I'm going to spare you the view):

Last edited by Soulteacher; 02-11-2008 at 02:29 AM.
Old 10-16-2007 | 06:45 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Wolfgang - Nice move!
Glad you're back in P.

Quick Reply: Back in Black - Got a 997 C2 today to bridge the extended Turbo wait...