Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Experiences with Cabs - Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 12:54 PM
QKENUFF
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've now had my 07 997 S cab for about 5 months, and have a number of observations. Especially when compared to my Ferrari 360 Spider.
Some thoughts.

* The F-car is a better open top car from an aerodynamic (cockpit) point of view. It is quiet, low wind, and easy to have a conversation at 80 window up or down. The P-car by comparison is windy, turbulent, and very noisy. Road noise, wind noise and flapping seat belts. (and yes, I have the wind thingy installed) After 50 years of 911 development I would have expected better. With the top up the 911 is very noisy inside, I agree with the comment about the rear window being open. It needs another 10# of soundproofing somewhere.

* The handling for most driving experiences on the road is generally better in the P-car. The suspension is more compliant, the wheelbase is shorter, and the turn in is better. especially on mountain roads and switchbacks. The Ferrari is better at the limit in sport mode and at the track. It corners nearly flat and the weight savings and low cg is noticeable. For 99% of the time the P-car is better on ride and handling.

* My 360 has an aftermarket Marinello X-Ost system, and the sound is unbelievable. Nothing sounds like a Ferrari, but my wife wont let me get the AWE for her 997 (Booo Hooo !)

* The electric top in the 997 is a better mechanism, and works perfectly and quickly each time, but the cowling and 4-stage pirouette that the Ferrari goes through is a prettier finished product. The Ferrari is much quieter in the cabin with the top up, even with the high volume exhaust.

* Trunk space is about equal, but the 911 wins for the dog by virtue of the rear jump seats. (She loves the ride in the back, but hates the Ferrari )

* The p-car has way too many bells, beeps, and whistles. the damn thing is constantly pinging, beeping, and buzzing about something. Can't seem to satisfy a German woman. If I could find the beeper I would tape over it to muffle/silence it forever.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:51 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Dang, your Ferrari is HOT! I love the seats and the wheels.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:58 PM
Speed
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by keninirvine
You're right, the hardtop would be an option. I believe I read here somewhere that converting a car not ordered with a hardtop costs about $1800, but it is still cheaper than buying a new car. Any chance you could post a photo of your car with the hardtop on it? (or PM photos to me?). Thanks.
I'm the person who posted. It was $1,500, but the dealer only charged $500 for the top. The rest was parts and labor. You have to find a dealer with a lot of 996 hardtops lying around that he wants to get rid of. I lucked out because I got a flat and was towed to the dealer in Huntington, N.Y. When I picked up the car I just took a chance and asked the service manager if he had any tops.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:17 AM
1Carnut
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 48 Posts

It is funny, I never really liked the fact that my 360 spider did not have enough wind coming in. I removed the little screen but it did not help. Probably one reason I bought a 430 coupe. I will say this I enjoy drivng my 997S cab (keeping in mind it has alot of mods) more than the 360 spider I had.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:28 AM
vladie22
Instructor

Received 231 Likes on 41 Posts

QKENUFF ,all i can say is WOW!!! both of your cars are absolutely stunning ! you have impeccable taste in automobiles my friend .
Old 07-27-2007, 12:47 PM
QKENUFF
Instructor

Originally Posted by vladie22
QKENUFF ,all i can say is WOW!!! both of your cars are absolutely stunning ! you have impeccable taste in automobiles my friend .
Thanks for the kind words, my wife picked out the 997, but I have been a fan of burgandy cabs for 20 years. Finallly broke the mold this month and ordered a Mellow Yellow Mini Cooper S. Should be here next Wednesday.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:53 PM
John NY-Naples
Racer

Not to change the subject, but how do you guys manage to upload such large pictures? Whenever I try, I get the "file too big" error message. Beautiful pics, btw.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:13 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by QKENUFF
Thanks for the kind words, my wife picked out the 997, but I have been a fan of burgandy cabs for 20 years. Finallly broke the mold this month and ordered a Mellow Yellow Mini Cooper S. Should be here next Wednesday.
I love both your cars too, but I'll take the house!
Old 07-27-2007, 01:18 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Speed
I'm the person who posted. It was $1,500, but the dealer only charged $500 for the top. The rest was parts and labor. You have to find a dealer with a lot of 996 hardtops lying around that he wants to get rid of. I lucked out because I got a flat and was towed to the dealer in Huntington, N.Y. When I picked up the car I just took a chance and asked the service manager if he had any tops.
I've seen 3 of them advertised on Craigslist for $400, $700, and $1000. I called a local dealer and he had 2 sitting outside! He said I'd likely need to repaint/refurbish them due to sitting out in the weather. Obviously not treated with much importance. I plan to call other dealers to see if they have any in better shape and in right color. Thanks for your earlier post, as it motivated me to consider this more seriously. Any chance you could post a photo of one of the rear brackets that you had installed (I presume there are just the 2 brackets required, with one of them wired for rear defrost).
Old 07-27-2007, 04:14 PM
QKENUFF
Instructor

Originally Posted by John NY-Naples
Not to change the subject, but how do you guys manage to upload such large pictures? Whenever I try, I get the "file too big" error message. Beautiful pics, btw.
Methods vary, but I usually use photobucket. {photobucket.com) Pics are sized to 800 pix wide x "whatever" high in J Peg formats and quality level kept to about 220 kb for the file size. Keep the photobucket account open in another window, and use the right click button on "IMG Code" to copy the image, and then move back to your post and "paste" in the message box. Works on most forums (F-chat, Mini NAM, 6-Speed etc...The root forum uploading parameters are often complex, and hard to tailor your pix for each application. Easier with Photoshop or other photo software to size and crop first before loading into photobucket. Othe sites have similar capabilities with slightly different loading parameters, and copy methods.

Best of luck.
Old 07-27-2007, 04:26 PM
Dr_KarlB
Pro

You let the dog ride in the Ferrari !!!!
Are you mad !

:-)
Old 07-27-2007, 04:38 PM
QKENUFF
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dr_KarlB
You let the dog ride in the Ferrari !!!!
Are you mad !

:-)
Only if she wears a helmet and goggles

Last edited by QKENUFF; 07-27-2007 at 09:19 PM.

Quick Reply: Experiences with Cabs - Part 2