Sponsored by:

Experiences with Cabs - Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 09:53 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Experiences with Cabs - Part 2

Back in early June I solicited comments on experiences with cabs, and received a lot of useful and appreciated feedback. I subsequently purchased a 2005 997S Cab and have been enjoying it a lot.

A few observations and questions:
1. Someone on previous thread recommended RAGGTOPP for care of the top. Can both the cleaner and protectant (not for vinyl tops) be used on the Porsche top?

2. I have noticed a minor surface mark in the top on both sides behind quarter windows. See attached photo. I believe I've seen it on other cabs, and assume it is a result of the way the material folds on itself when stowed. It appears that there is a slight amount of abrasion that roughs up the surface a little. Is this normal, and is it anything to be concerned about? Will the RAGGTOP protectant help at all?

3. While initially I found the car to be quieter than I had anticipated, I am now (after 6 weeks of driving it) finding the noise level on freeways to be almost annoying. At times I could swear the passenger side quarter window was open, as traffic noise is "right there" on the other side of the fabric top behind the quarter window. I'm starting to think that a long trip in this car could be pretty fatiguing just from the noise level of the air passing over and aroung the top as well as the traffic noise coming through the top at the rear quarter. I took it up the local mountains and back yesterday, and while the handling on the mountain roads was wonderful, I found my ears buzzing for a while after I got home. And that was only a couple of hours in the car! I may have to use the C55 for the long trips where I typically drive for 12 or 14 hours in a day.

4. The ride seems a little on the harsh side. I have considered the conversion to 18" wheels, but it seems half of you recommend it and the other half say it won't make any improvement. It may be helped as much by new tires in the not-too-distant future, as the Pilot Sports are getting worn (I think they may be the originals on the car, with almost 19,000 miles on the car). By the way, can one expect to get about 20,000 miles on a set of Pilot Sports if they aren't tracking the car? If so, that would be an improvement on my C55.

5. The gas mileage appears to be about the same as my C55 for every-day running around "the OC". On the highway cruising in 6th gear at reasonable speeds it appears to improve in a big hurry. But that kind of driving is the exception.

All in all, it is a very fun car and it gets lots of compliments. I've really appreciated all the helpful tips available on this site, both in response to my enquiries, as well as responses to others.

Thanks everyone, and I'll continue to glean useful info on this site.

Ken
2005 997S Cab, black on black, full leather, power heated seats, Sport Chrono, iPod kit, Smart Top, Sport Design wheels, and last and least - Nav.

Last edited by KeninBlaine; 01-07-2009 at 02:52 PM.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:23 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by keninirvine
1. Someone on previous thread recommended RAGGTOPP for care of the top. Can both the cleaner and protectant (not for vinyl tops) be used on the Porsche top?
RaggTopp is quite good. I do both once a year.

2. I have noticed a minor surface mark in the top on both sides behind quarter windows. See attached photo. I believe I've seen it on other cabs, and assume it is a result of the way the material folds on itself when stowed. It appears that there is a slight amount of abrasion that roughs up the surface a little. Is this normal, and is it anything to be concerned about? Will the RAGGTOP protectant help at all?
Normal and leaving the top up will help especially in the sun (it kind of irons the wrinkles away). BTW, I usually leave the top up when leaving the car for any period.

3. While initially I found the car to be quieter than I had anticipated, I am now (after 6 weeks of driving it) finding the noise level on freeways to be almost annoying. At times I could swear the passenger side quarter window was open, as traffic noise is "right there" on the other side of the fabric top behind the quarter window. I'm starting to think that a long trip in this car could be pretty fatiguing just from the noise level of the air passing over and aroung the top as well as the traffic noise coming through the top at the rear quarter. I took it up the local mountains and back yesterday, and while the handling on the mountain roads was wonderful, I found my ears buzzing for a while after I got home. And that was only a couple of hours in the car! I may have to use the C55 for the long trips where I typically drive for 12 or 14 hours in a day.
Get a better stero.

4. The ride seems a little on the harsh side. I have considered the conversion to 18" wheels, but it seems half of you recommend it and the other half say it won't make any improvement. It may be helped as much by new tires in the not-too-distant future, as the Pilot Sports are getting worn (I think they may be the originals on the car, with almost 19,000 miles on the car). By the way, can one expect to get about 20,000 miles on a set of Pilot Sports if they aren't tracking the car? If so, that would be an improvement on my C55.
Time to upgrade the suspension.

5. The gas mileage appears to be about the same as my C55 for every-day running around "the OC". On the highway cruising in 6th gear at reasonable speeds it appears to improve in a big hurry. But that kind of driving is the exception.
Don't see a question here? Enjoy the ride!
Old 07-22-2007, 11:26 PM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 352 Likes on 183 Posts

Yes, some creases on the top are normal.

I use 303 cleaner and protectant. Works great. Every six months.

I am not bothered by the noise. I love the engine sound. If you are used to an ultra quiet luxury car then it just takes some getting used to.

I have winter tires on 18 inch wheels. They are somewhat softer than my 19s with PS2s but not very dramatic. All things considered, I think the ride with 19s is rather smooth, considering how close the wheel is to the ground with only about 1.5 inches of tire and air beneath it. Again, might just take some getting used to. But I wouldn't recommend investing in 18s because the difference is so small.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:48 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

If you tire of the sounds you should have gotten one with a hard top. The hard tops literally turn them into a coupe, from a sonic perspective. (The rear window is actually larger than that on the coupes). Whenever I tire of the noise I put on the hardtop. It's also nice when I know the environment is hostile (like right now in So Cal with ash from neighboring fires).

The Bridgestones are a nice tire, got 14000 on the car now and not yet in need of tires. Reasonably quiet but no convertible is going to be quiet. The 997 Carreras are the best of the cabriolets of today.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:00 AM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Originally Posted by Edgy01
If you tire of the sounds you should have gotten one with a hard top. The hard tops literally turn them into a coupe, from a sonic perspective. (The rear window is actually larger than that on the coupes). Whenever I tire of the noise I put on the hardtop. It's also nice when I know the environment is hostile (like right now in So Cal is ash from neighboring fires).

The Bridgestones are a nice tire, got 14000 on the car now and not yet in need of tires. Reasonably quiet but no convertible is going to be quiet. The 997 Carreras are the best of the cabriolets of today.
You're right, the hardtop would be an option. I believe I read here somewhere that converting a car not ordered with a hardtop costs about $1800, but it is still cheaper than buying a new car. Any chance you could post a photo of your car with the hardtop on it? (or PM photos to me?). Thanks.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:05 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

I think that number is about right ($1800).
Attached Images  
Old 07-23-2007, 01:09 AM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

I think that number is about right ($1800).
Thanks for the photo. Do you have any showing the rear more? I presume the retrofit needs to be done by a Porsche dealer. Any idea of current cost of top? (I think it is in the $4000 range but not sure). Is it fiberglass?
Old 07-23-2007, 08:09 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

The 996 hardtop will fit on the 997. There was a thread or two on this topic (996 hardtop on a 997)within the last 6 months or so. You still have to install the hardware connections in the car, but you might be able to find a 996 hardtop for $500 - $700.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:28 AM
carlo$
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

from y 500SL I can only tell you that hard tops are good and keep the noise out.

on the other hand they are a pain to have to take them off and to have space to store them.

you can always use a winch to hang them up, but with over head doors it can be difficult.

IMO they are not worth the trouble.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:12 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

I have a 2006 C2S Cab and those folds are in my too. They disapear a little if I keep the top up for a long time especially out in the sun or after it gets wet. Your tires are causing a lot of road noise since they have 19,000 miles on them...they are worn azz out...go get new ones now.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:32 AM
george_k
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fwiw I made the switch to 18" tires and it made the ride much more comfortable and the handling is great. IMHO the 19 tires although a very popular option for appearance reasons
Are more rubber than necessary esp in the rear tire section,
Got lucky and found a set of carrera III takeoffs with PS2 tires
In new condition for 2k
Old 07-23-2007, 11:42 AM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Originally Posted by carlo$
from y 500SL I can only tell you that hard tops are good and keep the noise out.

on the other hand they are a pain to have to take them off and to have space to store them.

you can always use a winch to hang them up, but with over head doors it can be difficult.

IMO they are not worth the trouble.
Yes, I understand the difficulties with hardtops. I had a 57 Thunderbird and found the same issue. It is the kind of thing where if you put it on, you leave it on for a while (like for a long trip). Thanks for input.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:52 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

I have an EZ Top lift arrangement for my top so that I can remove and reinstall it by myself. (Learned about them on the 996 forum). The hardtops weigh 73 lbs and are made of aluminum. Well made. If you have a common color you can check eBay periodically for them or even Craig's List. One guy bought one recently for about $50 on Craig's List! I usspect they come up for sale often as owners get tired of finding a place to put them (if they just don't have the room). Many dealerships were inundated with them in the 996 days (they are the same Part No) as many cabrio buyers didn't even pick them up with their cars. They were included in the price of the cabrios in the 996 days or could be deleted with a minor credit back. Clearly, you don't want to buy one and then have to deal wth shpping it! Try to find one locally if you can. Will try to post a shot from the rear.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:57 AM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

I have an EZ Top lift arrangement for my top so that I can remove and reinstall it by myself. (Learned about them on the 996 forum). The hardtops weigh 73 lbs and are made of aluminum. Well made. If you have a common color you can check eBay periodically for them or even Craig's List. One guy bought one recently for about $50 on Craig's List! I usspect they come up for sale often as owners get tired of finding a place to put them (if they just don't have the room). Many dealerships were inundated with them in the 996 days (they are the same Part No) as many cabrio buyers didn't even pick them up with their cars. They were included in the price of the cabrios in the 996 days or could be deleted with a minor credit back. Clearly, you don't want to buy one and then have to deal wth shpping it! Try to find one locally if you can. Will try to post a shot from the rear.
Excellent advice. Black shouldn't be too hard to find. Saw a previous post from someone in New York that found a dealer willing to sell a top and do the retrofit etc. for a total of $1500 all in. The EZ Top would be a must for me too. Thanks.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:16 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

here's a bit of a rear view of the h/t--

Also, do a search for EZ Top and you'll find my GIF of the eZtop in operation...

Here it is:

Attached Images  

Last edited by Edgy01; 07-24-2007 at 12:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Experiences with Cabs - Part 2