Sponsored by:

California Car Duster

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 03:28 PM
jw1977
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default California Car Duster

Do you guys use the californial car duster to keep your car clean in between washes. I've got a black C2S that gets pretty dusty after one drive. As long as this was done daily would it be okay to use?

Thanks
Old 07-14-2007, 03:49 PM
gr8330
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Been using them for years
Old 07-14-2007, 04:06 PM
Paul S.
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 47 Posts

I use one all the time provided it's light dust on the car, and I follow up with detailing spray. Make sure you use a light touch, shake the duster off after each pass, and follow the instructions (which say to lay new ones out on newspaper to absorb the excess wax that can cause streak marks). I don't have a black car, but as long as I avoid rain and such, it's usually brake dust on the wheels (not dust or the ugly droplets that happen when raindrops hit a dusty car) that triggers the need to wash the car, for me.
Old 07-14-2007, 04:24 PM
AP997S
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jw1977
Do you guys use the californial car duster to keep your car clean in between washes. I've got a black C2S that gets pretty dusty after one drive. As long as this was done daily would it be okay to use?

Thanks
Using a duster on a black car can be done but you'll pay the price of micro swirls & scratches. I have a black 997 as well and use both a parafin treated (California Duster) and a micro fiber (white/non wax treated) duster as long as the car is relatively clean.

Vigorously shake the duster before using and as someone mentioned before place a new one on newpaper to absorb the excess wax. You'll ocassionally get wax streaks no matter how lightly you use the duster. I then spray some detailing spray on the area and wipe it lightly w/ a clean microfiber cloth.

Truth is black is labor intensive w/ respect to it's care and feeding. If you're **** you'll detail (mild orbital polish & hand wax) the car every 4 to 6 months to keep it looking good. Garaging and using a car cover when parked for an extended period outdoors are the best ways to keep any color looking it's best.

Call me crazy but I 'enjoy' the detailing work (my car only!). It's sort of theraputic and relaxing in a way. It's just you and car; no BS or having to deal w/ irrational or PITA people or matters.

If you car is painted black . . . . . learn to deal w/ it!
Old 07-14-2007, 05:36 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 163 Posts

Great advice from both Paul S. and AP997S. But, as the owner of two black cars, let me add what I think is the most important ingredient...keep a good coat of wax on your car.

If you "California dust" a black car that doesn't have much (or any) wax protection on it, that's when those frickin' mini-scratches and swirlies appear. Obviously, a heavy-touch with the duster is not good, even with a good wax finish on the car.

Keep it waxed. Dust it daily. Wash it as necessary.

Black is so beautiful...for those ten minutes right after it's washed.
Old 07-14-2007, 06:24 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

A couple of other points. First, don't use it when the car is hot. Second, it actually works better as it gets a little dirty. As said above, keep a nice coat of (wax) in my case polymer sealant (Zaino) on it. You could also try Kozak towels.
Old 07-14-2007, 07:08 PM
etmorcus
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive been using a California duster since my 06 came in May 06, and no scratches. I live in La Quinta, CA (desert) and there is a lot of dust.
I recently clayed my car,followed with P21s prep and Carnauba Wax, -
wow! That was the first time I clayed it, sicne new and what a difference it has made!
E
Old 07-14-2007, 07:17 PM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Leader
Black is so beautiful...for those ten minutes right after it's washed.
Gee, John, you get 10 minutes of yours looking clean. More like 30 seconds for mine after washing. If you haven't tried it yet, Finish Kare quick detailers (both FK425 and FK146) have some anti-static properties to them and reduce dust attraction.

But my real find has been Optimum No Rinse car wash.
Old 07-14-2007, 07:25 PM
MMD
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Works fine. Get two. One for sensitive highly visible areas (top and hood). The other for wheels and much lower parts of car.

I find compressed air is the only way to "shake" them to get dust/grit out.

ALSO: Make sure you literally shake them up many times _DURING_ your dusting; my guess is any grit collected will then be ejected or, more likely, "buried" in the fibers better and no longer in contact with the paint.
Old 07-14-2007, 09:07 PM
fluid15
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

I don't have any tips to add that haven't already been stated above ... but in the past I had a black 993 and found the duster to be very useful for the first few days after a wash. A Black 911 is so gorgeous when clean. I guess it's the hips or raked-shape of the car. I usually did a pretty good job of keeping it clean. Zaino was my detailing product of choice.
Old 07-14-2007, 09:09 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD
I find compressed air is the only way to "shake" them to get dust/grit out.
Point of caution about compressed air. There can, and usually is, both oil and water in commercial air compressors like at a service station. I would always spray it for several seconds first to get the heavier contaminents (if any) out of the line. Best bet would be to have your own compressor with a water trap online and bleed it from the tank first. Now if you just happen to have a tank of nitrogen in your garage....
Old 07-14-2007, 10:26 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,017 Likes on 520 Posts

I use one on my Bosendorfer Imperial 9'6" Concert Grand - easily worth more than the 997tt I'm ordering, although I'll be using it on that too. They make a newer jumbo model that works great.

Old 07-14-2007, 11:05 PM
vitman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had heard how good the California Dusters were so I bought one. I'm in South Florida so we have rain and dirt but maybe no dust. I tried it and it seemed to have zero effect. (Maybe the spots of dirt were less dusty???) Has anyone else had success in a humid climate? It sure would be easier than frequent washing. Due to a drought we are on water restrictions. Car washing only allowed one day per week from 4am until 8am!!!
Old 07-14-2007, 11:17 PM
mal28
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use it on DUSTY not dirty cars, do not use if the car is wet!
Old 07-14-2007, 11:41 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Only use the duster on dusty but still clean cars...not after a rain or a week of driving. I have found that a micro fiber with some Mquires Instant Detailer or NXT detailer spray works better on my black car.

Quick Reply: California Car Duster