Sponsored by:

aerokit - is it effective?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 06:40 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mhm993
On the street, they're useless, but don't they look sweet?!
I agree!!

Once the speed on track is up beyond 120, then it starts to take effect.

But they do look nice if you can deal with "other" effects; leaf catcher, roadway scraper, bug catcher etc.

Deanski
Old 01-07-2009, 12:31 PM
Mtn Busa
Intermediate

Living in the Rockies, we've got limited access to high speed tracks, but plenty of "opportunities" to explore extended velocities. I've always had the aero kit on my 997S and will vouch for the stability at interesting speeds. Of course, I haven't got any seat time in a non-aero 997 to compare it to either so it's just my opinion.

I love the way it looks too.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:34 PM
ECS
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Deanski - Did you ever drive your car without the aero kit?
Old 01-07-2009, 04:57 PM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Effective

Like everyone says. Street No! Track Yes for me!
Attached Images  
Old 01-07-2009, 05:22 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by mobonic
I have driven my 997s on the oval at California speedway with no aerokit, and it was scary.

Once I hit 120+ that car felt very light in the tail and not as surefooted as i would like.... i peaked at 140-150 and I was pretty nervous.

I will not do another high speed track until my GT3/aero kit is installed .... if anything it will help "me" feel better and hopefully make the car feel better.
Something wrong with your car - tires, alignment, suspension. Have it checked.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:32 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Part of it is the roadway. As was stated, doing 150mph on the autobahn with a stock 997, or any car thats capable, is not a problem. Doing more than 120mph on a US interstate or other highway, regardless of car, is usually scary. That has to do with the different ways the roads are designed, built and maintained.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:14 AM
Dr. Car
Racer

Originally Posted by mobonic
I have driven my 997s on the oval at California speedway with no aerokit, and it was scary.

Once I hit 120+ that car felt very light in the tail and not as surefooted as i would like.... i peaked at 140-150 and I was pretty nervous.

I will not do another high speed track until my GT3/aero kit is installed .... if anything it will help "me" feel better and hopefully make the car feel better.

Your 997s without aerokit was scary at California Speedway compared to WHAT? Without comparing it to another car that you drove on the same course, your observation isn't meaningful. (In addition to your alignment being a possible culprit, your tires (pressures, rubber quality) could be a culprit as well.)

I drove my 997s w/o aerokit at Cal Speedway at the same high speeds and was quite impressed with it. We probably all ought to be scared driving such a valuable car with a suspension designed for the street on a bumpy highspeed racetrack ringed with concrete walls. The main danger of driving fast on that track in a 997 isn't the lack of aero, it's the danger that in a corner you could lose your nerve and hit the brakes, jerk the wheel, or be afraid to track out, causing a spin. No doubt the aerokit would improve feel and grip to some degree, but I disagree that the stock aero makes the car scary or hard to control at the track.

The observations in most of the posts on this thread, about what someone thinks their aerokit feels like, or what a GT3 feels like, tells the OP nothing reliable about the difference between stock and aerokit Carreras. ["I went 150 on I-5 and it felt liftie." ]

My $.02: the aerokit will increase performance and predictability when cornering at high speeds. The aero isn't needed to make the car stable in a straightline, such as the autobahn. It looks great (like a GT3, but rarer), but along with the look comes reduced driveability, because the drastically reduced ground clearance makes the car much harder to drive. I can vouch for that on the basis of personal experience. The GT3 and aerokit noses are so easy to scrape. The option is VERY expensive, like the carbon brakes or X51, but unlike them imposes a significant compromise on the car.

If you want good advice about how aero really works, put your question in a post on the Racing & DE forum. Here you will just get a bunch of self-satisfied 997 owners like me telling you about their exciting and illegal triple-digit adventures.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:28 AM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Dr. Car,

Let me elborate.

Perhaps scary was the wrong term.

BTW I ran the car completely stock with a "race alignment", on 60% PS2's.

Once the car hit 130+ into the first turn and though the oval, the car "felt" a lot lighter in the rear. To me it felt like i needed additional rear downforce to give the car a more planted feel.

The Oval at CA speedway is always scary and as you said ESPECIALLY scary with such expensive cars.

My understanding (correct me if I'm wrong) is that with the banked turn on the oval, it creates more upforce on the car wanting to puch the car farther and farther up the track towards the wall, causing lift.

This can be countered with a properly tuned suspension (ala nascar) and with increased downforce.

TO me it felt like a front spolier and front wing would have given my car a better feel and perhaps better handling in that situation.... that is all i was trying to say.

Once I get my new wing and return to CA speedway I will be able to compare my times, speeds, and "feel" of the car.

I also drove a EVO X that day, but that car has 4WD, aerokit, and stickier tires .... i was able to drive it faster easier through the oval ..... but i feel that was not a good comparison to my 997.

But again one persons "feel" is different than another's.

Originally Posted by Dr. Car
Your 997s without aerokit was scary at California Speedway compared to WHAT? Without comparing it to another car that you drove on the same course, your observation isn't meaningful. (In addition to your alignment being a possible culprit, your tires (pressures, rubber quality) could be a culprit as well.)

I drove my 997s w/o aerokit at Cal Speedway at the same high speeds and was quite impressed with it. We probably all ought to be scared driving such a valuable car with a suspension designed for the street on a bumpy highspeed racetrack ringed with concrete walls. The main danger of driving fast on that track in a 997 isn't the lack of aero, it's the danger that in a corner you could lose your nerve and hit the brakes, jerk the wheel, or be afraid to track out, causing a spin. No doubt the aerokit would improve feel and grip to some degree, but I disagree that the stock aero makes the car scary or hard to control at the track.

The observations in most of the posts on this thread, about what someone thinks their aerokit feels like, or what a GT3 feels like, tells the OP nothing reliable about the difference between stock and aerokit Carreras. ["I went 150 on I-5 and it felt liftie." ]

My $.02: the aerokit will increase performance and predictability when cornering at high speeds. The aero isn't needed to make the car stable in a straightline, such as the autobahn. It looks great (like a GT3, but rarer), but along with the look comes reduced driveability, because the drastically reduced ground clearance makes the car much harder to drive. I can vouch for that on the basis of personal experience. The GT3 and aerokit noses are so easy to scrape. The option is VERY expensive, like the carbon brakes or X51, but unlike them imposes a significant compromise on the car.

If you want good advice about how aero really works, put your question in a post on the Racing & DE forum. Here you will just get a bunch of self-satisfied 997 owners like me telling you about their exciting and illegal triple-digit adventures.

Quick Reply: aerokit - is it effective?