Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is $10,405 too much to spend on options? (Many noob questions inside.)

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 07:52 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

My next Porsche is going to be very specifically mine, resale be damned. Get exactly what you want and the pride of ownership will be intensified 10x.

I wasn't knocking Tiptronic per se, but there is a distinct satisfaction stirring the gears in a precision gearbox like the 911's (or an S2000 for that matter). For those that need an automatic, I certainly understand the decision. I also agree that if you do want an auto, wait until the twin-clutch PDK comes out. I have had a couple of DSG cars (GTI, Audi A3) and it's an awesome transmission.

Best of luck - let us know what you decide.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:19 PM
Pugnacious
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul S.
...Sports Chrono plus. It dramatically changes the shift patterns in sport mode...
Please explain how Sport Chrono changes the shift patterns.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:50 PM
vitman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a nice car (except for the tip) You should really consider the PSE and sport chrono. Of all the options that I have, they are the BEST. I have the sport seats and they are very comfortable but they would be tight if you are tall or carry any extra weight. Whatever you choose, you'll end up happy.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:33 PM
mal28
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I picked up my new 997s yesterday! yes, I know, pics coming soon.

I have the rear console in leather, as well as sunvisors and roofliner in leather (and dome light) looks spectacular!

I do not track and did not get the chrono--don't like the look of it. Power seats are great. get them

Buy the car YOU want, screw resale. The next person who owns your car may have very different tastes and not want the options you love.

this may help:
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/342365-opinions-on-leather-headliner-please.html
Old 07-06-2007, 11:21 PM
4thporsche
Racer

Originally Posted by SeanInLA
As for the Tip, I also need that so my girlfriend and other friends can drive the car. Plus, rush hour in LA is awful so I won't mind it. I have had my share of manual cars and I drive the manual with ease, so it's not about ability, as it is being practical.

The used 911 was a good suggestion, but I like the front better after they changed the organic look headlights back to the oval headlights in 2006. In the used market I am open to more combinations, and from what everyone says the Tip sells for less in the used car market?
Who's car is it? Your girlfriend's (who come and go) or your friend's (you should think twice about having 'friends' drive your car). Can't say I ever bought a car based on the expectations of my girlfriend or friends so they could drive it.

FYI... the 997's started in '05. You can get a good deal on a tip because they sit on the dealers lot.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:13 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Pugnacious
With the Tiptronic S in drive and the sport button pushed it holds the gears longer based on the driving style at that moment. The harder you drive the sporty the transmission shifts. I still find it not shifting like I want especially during hard braking into a corner...it does not down shift fast enough. So I just switch it over to manual and shift on the steering wheel when I want it to shift. Pretty much like you guys but I do not push a clutch in.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:47 AM
SeanInLA
Advanced

Default You are right.

Originally Posted by 4thporsche
Who's car is it? Your girlfriend's (who come and go) or your friend's (you should think twice about having 'friends' drive your car). Can't say I ever bought a car based on the expectations of my girlfriend or friends so they could drive it.
The car is for me and if I didn't live in Los Angeles I would 100% get the manual.

The ability to let the gf drive it was just a small plus. Yes they used to come and go, but the current one has been around quite a while. I don't really want to get married since I don't plan on having kids. So to me it's just much easier to have the same girlfriend forever. Thus, when I said "gf" it similar to "wife" for everyone else. Except if something happens and we split I don't have to pay alimony and I get to keep my Porsche.

Also, I am not rich by any means, so this is a big investment for me. But I also don't mind letting friends take it for a spin around the block, part of the fun is letting others drive it so they can tell you what a great car it is. (No they can't take it home.)

Last edited by SeanInLA; 07-07-2007 at 09:02 PM.
Old 07-07-2007, 03:10 AM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Received 107 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by SeanInLA
Good question, I think I will side on luxury. I won't take the car to the track and it will most likely be a daily driver. Some people have mentioned a beater car as a daily driver and I have a newer V6 Accord with Navi I can drive for that. But what I really need is to smile more when I drive to and from work. I think a Porsche is the best therapy for a car guy.

The #1 problem in Los Angles is the junk in the road. It seems all of the highways are littered with boxes, tire retreads, cans, bottles, it's awful. I think the front bumper is going to be a mess after a year or two.
I remember a letter printed in Car&Driver where this guy wrote about how much he loved his Civic Hybrid for his commute. For fun he drove his Ferrari. That's where I got the idea for when I ever had a house with more than two parking spaces, I'd get a commuter car and a sports car. Finally got the house. I sold my bmw 330i (my best of both world car). Got a loaded Civic Hybrids with nav (only option I think). Now for the sports car.

You have your Accord. If you only had one car I could understand getting the tip more. But you already have your commuter car. For those who are like me that have always wanted a Porsche, it's so hard to imagine getting one with tip. Plow your Accord through through your messy commutes. Take your 911 out for therapeutic weekend adventures and special weekday drives to work.

As far as options, I'm still leaning towards a 993 widebody or turbo. What's odd is I love the 993 for it's simplicity, but when I go online to build a 911, I end up with full leather and nav. Full leather just looks so nice and luxurious. I love nav. It can be really valuable on days when it allows me to finish those extra one or two errands that end up saving money on time sensitive projects by getting to unfamiliar locations faster. So now if I went the 997 road, I think the only option I really want are the turbo wheels. I'd have my civic w/nav for my commuter. Forgot to mention the suv that will be my wife's luxury ride that will always have nav (2004 discovery now, but will replace with gl450 or 04-05 range rover). Finally, I'd have my stripped down sports car. So to conclude my rambling, skip the trip because you have a commuter car. If this your luxury/sports car, than add a few luxury trimmings.
Old 07-07-2007, 03:36 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

Fixed for you.

911 Carrera S..................................... $82,600
Cobalt Blue Metallic...................... 56 .... $ ..690 (lovely color)
19" Carrera Classic Wheel................. 405 ... $ ..390 (if this is for a set, a hell of a deal)
Wheel Caps with Colored Crest............. 446 ... $ ..185 (same price as aftermarket)
Leather Sport Seats....................... P77 ... $ ..400 (why should you pay for black?)
Floor Mats in Interior Color.............. 810 ... $ ..140 (just barely over what you'd spend on Lloyd's Mats)
Door Finishers in Leather................. XTV ... $ ..360 (to match the seats)
Door Entry Guards in Stainless Steel...... X70 ... $ ..415 (these are just cool)
Old 07-07-2007, 01:32 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Frankly I think you're being over generous to the gf and your friends. For the amount of time they would drive the car vs. the amount of time you will drive the car you seem to be giving them the price of the tip as a gift. A couple of trips around the block to reassure you that you bought an awesome car seems a high price to pay. If they were asked to pay for Tip, would they? Don't think so. Would they be prepared to learn how to drive stick shift so they could drive it? If not then be selfish and get what YOU want - you're paying for it after all.

I still think you would be better off getting the beater/hybrid for your commute and a stick-shift 997 for playtime.
Old 07-07-2007, 05:23 PM
ChipAZ
Pro

When reviewing the leather options on the 997 I came to the conclusion that they must use really expensive cows. Personally I don't miss all that leather. I dwell on the way it drives.

After saying that, the interior I like the best on this site is Edgy's
Old 07-07-2007, 06:29 PM
Paul S.
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Pugnacious

With sport mode selected, in auto mode as opposed to manual shift mode, the shift points are higher under all conditions, it will down shift and use RPM's to slow you down, and when you roll up to a stop, it will go to 1st gear if you've been driving hard.

In short much more fun to drive-you don't hear folks like me with Tips and sports chrono complain about the tranny always being in 5th gear when you're not in manual shift mode, and auto mode is actually quicker because the adative shift logic really excels with sport mode selected. Truly, it's the best thing you can do to a Tip.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:44 AM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by boolala
The tip always gets mixed reviews here. There are those, like me, who love it. There are those who have an inflated sense of their driving abilities and think that they can actually shift faster with a manual (that's a hoot). And there are the whinners with a tip who don't understand how to drive it and thus hate it.
Test drive both a Tip and a 6 speed as much as you can. Drive the Tip last and I believe you'll miss the the 6 speed. If you're comfortable with a manual transmission, seriously consider the manual.
I've had Tips as loaner cars and I live >50 miles from the dealer. When it's time to pick up my car, I can't wait to get back to my 6 speed. True, it's no fun in stop and go traffic, but just how much fun is stop and go in any car, any transmission?
Old 07-10-2007, 02:17 AM
SkyDriving
Track Day

Here are the options I finally chose, after months of sifting:

2007 Porsche 911 Targa 4S (997)
Exterior Color
"99 - Metallic Paint to Sample
Nordic Gold Metallic"

Interior Color
AT - Black Full Leather

Exterior
267 - Self Dimming Mirrors

Performance
640 - Sport Chrono Package Plus

Wheel
405 - 19" Carrera Classic Wheel

Wheel Accessories
446 - Wheel Caps with Colored Crest

Interior
P01 - Adaptive Sports Seats
M6A - Black Mats - Porsche Lettering
342 - Heated Seats

Interior Leather
XPA - Thicker Steering Wheel in Leather
XSC - Porsche Crest in Headrests
XMZ - Rear Center Console in Leather
XTV - Door Finishers in Leather

Audio
680 - BOSE High End Sound Package

Custom Tailoring and Deviations - Other
CXB - Door Entry Grds Stl Steel Illu

The "S" has a ton of goodies not mentioned above. I ended up with ZERO regrets. Good luck!

Jeff
Old 07-10-2007, 12:37 PM
Turboflyer
Pro

Only if you will regret not having done it when she is in your garage. I passed up a beautiful 911 S because the dash was not leather. It had everything else I wanted. Yes I will have to wait, but I wont have that regret. It would be like a pimple on the end of your nose. On the other hand just because you can do something does not me you should or that it will look good. Kinda like the old woman who thinks she needs to wear all her jewelry at one time. Expensive yes; look good, not really. Pick out what you want, like, and looks good together. You will be happier in the long run. IMHO.

Quick Reply: Is $10,405 too much to spend on options? (Many noob questions inside.)