Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best way to upgrade a carrera S? Need for speed

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 06:45 PM
xeron
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, thank you to most who have responded. Personally, as I don't have as much experience with this car and modifying it as others, the X-51 option seems to be an appropriate start. A few have suggested to "upgrade the driver" and I find that amusing as the statement is made without knowledge of the individual posting. In fact, I have a few driving school courses under my belt although I understand one can always learn more, particularly in a driving course focused on the 997S. So, the point is taken. However, as I do not share the opinion that the car " is blisteringly fast out of the box" and I have no intention of trading up immediatly on a new car, I feel that asking the forum for advice on how to get a little more out of the engine is exactly what the purpose of this forum is. I agree, it's a great sports car, but I think there should be a fairly easy way to get more out of a 3.8 liter engine. I just don't have as much knowledge as the rest of you and was looking for advice. Thanks.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:40 PM
MichaelL
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A stock 997S will dyno test at around 295 rwhp. I did not have mine tested before modifications, but this is a common figure. Prior to having the plenum installed, it dynoed at 321 rwhp. Probably 325+ now. This is a rwhp gain of about 30. Total spent, including installation, is about $7300.

Any modifications beyond the parts list I had installed will be very expensive(camshafts, cylinder boring, superchargers, porting heads, etc.) and it would make more sense to trade up to another model.

Another issue can be the sunk cost in the car; if you already own it, modifications to reach a certain power level may be more cost-effective than a trade-in.

As far as my previous post to this thread, I think that a fellow forum member deserves a straight answer to a question, not something off-topic. One sentence or one word responses are shallow and less than useful to someone looking for information.

Anyone needing advice on this question of adding power would be well advised to search previous posts.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:24 AM
Dave07997S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just installed my X51 headers/AWE 200cpi cats and mufflers, and this helped quite a bit. It wasn't like, yea I think I feel it, I noticed it especially above 4k rpm. The secret is if you are going to do the exhaust do the whole exhaust including the cats. Next up X51 airbox, throttle body and possilbly the RSS plenum along with some software.

Did the install myself on the headers as I will the X51 intake setup, so far total spent is $2500. The X51 parts will set me back another $900.00 or so, labor will be free as I'm doing it.

I have heard of 997's dynoing at 300+rwhp as long as you use 93 octane. In Ca. with our crappy 91 maybe low 290's to mid 290's.

Dave

Quick Reply: best way to upgrade a carrera S? Need for speed