Sponsored by:

The Dreaded Drip

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 01:18 PM
Kevin K
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy The Dreaded Drip

My '06 C2 Cab has caught it with about 5900 miles driven. About a 3" spot every few days coming from the passenger side. From what I read on this site, RMS problems are more dead center. So I'm hoping it's an easy fix.

To the shop this morning .... will post the answer later.

Kevin
Old 07-05-2007, 01:41 PM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could be a valve cover gasket, Kevin. I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya...

-don
Old 07-05-2007, 01:47 PM
vbizguy
Instructor

My RMS problem was dead center.... like Don, I hope its something else. Good luck Kevin.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:58 PM
Kevin K
Instructor

Don,

You were right on. It's the valve cover gasket. The service manager said he had yet to see one of those leak so soon on a 997. Wow, I'm finally the first at something!

They don't stock that part so it's a five day wait and then apparently a three day job. From what he described, the fix requires dropping the engine.

I thought the leaking from the side meant a simple fix. Would the RMS leaking have been much worse?

Being rather inexperienced in the Porsche ownership family, it sure doesn't sit well with me that such a new car needs what seems to me to be such a major piece of work so soon. The service advisor says, "No big deal, they drop engines all the time." I guess my concern is that the whole thing will leave me with some other problem if all isn't done just right. Dropping the engine just seems like temporarily removing the heart to fix a bad disc.

So I need some support from all you more seasoned Porsche owners. Tell me again that this is no big deal and that I needn't worry and that I'm still happier than I would have been with, say, a Japanese car with those 5 star quality ratings.

Sign me: bummed in Maryland,

Kevin
Old 07-05-2007, 10:51 PM
vitman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They dropped my engine to fix an electrical problem and I haven't had a problem since. I wouldn't have even known except I looked at the repair receipt. .....removed engine......fixed problem......reinstalled engine...... No worries. Considering the design of these cars, I think the dealers are VERY used to doing this.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:00 PM
dgcate
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default A post guaranteed to cure insomnia...

Hey Kevin,

I know the mindset. It was one of the things that kept me on the sidelines from 996/997 ownership for awhile. "Well, dropping an engine can open up opportunities for problems that wouldn't otherwise be there were it not for the fact that a mechanic dropped the engine"...."What's next?'...etc..

My car (an '06 S) was a trade in at the local dealership. They had sold the car new to a local gent, who traded the car back in on a turbo. It had 4k miles on it. It had also had an engine swap already. This "startled" me. "On such a new car?" - confused..and skeptical.

The salesman, I've known for 15, 20 years? A true "car guy" who also races motorcycles. Well...he did the same thing to me on this car that he'd done on every other Porsche down through the years he thought I might want to drive, he just laughed, threw me the keys, and said "let's get outta here!"

To make a long story even longer...the fact that he had absolute faith in this car, even w/ the engine swap, sealed the deal. As well it should have. It's performed flawlessly, doesn't leak, and runs like..well...a Porsche 997 should run (we'll leave it at that).. He led me to believe (true or not, but he's got me trusting him) that swapping an engine on these cars are as second-natured to the mechanics in the back as swapping out a fuse. They've done alot of 'em.

I wouldn't worry about it. Don't lose one bit of confidence in your car. They know what they are doing when it comes to engine drops (swaps?).

Now, take a '72 911 in there w/ an ignition problem, and they'll "farm it out" because no one would have a clue as to how to fix it. Heck, I've taken an '89 to them with calliper problems and later found out that it was sent out to an independant for repairs. (They don't know I know this, the independent told it to me..he does alot of stuff for them that's not "everyday" stuff...lol). But, when it comes to swapping out engines in 996/997's, well, that's their forte'.

Don't sweat it... so far anyway, the engine bay on my car would've won any concours event, it was brand new. You're car will be fine, it will amaze you that it was even done. They'll be no evidence, no sign...

hope this helps

Dave

Last edited by dgcate; 07-05-2007 at 11:23 PM.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:59 AM
Kevin K
Instructor

Thanks Dave,

I hope the mechanics here are as good as the ones you've encountered. I wonder what this would have cost me if not for the factory warranty. Makes me shudder.

Kevin
Old 07-06-2007, 09:29 AM
wetstuff
Pro

Kevin: They are removing the heart: to fix a simple 'valve cover seal' Prolapse. Any engine hung off the trans at rear is infinitly easier to switch out vs. pulling one of those sausage-stuffings up front. It's one of the reasons the original Beetle was so loved by guys who owned an adjustable wrench; you could have the engine in/out before lunch. Not to worry - drive on.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:35 AM
Kevin K
Instructor

Thanks Jim,

I'm beginning to feel a bit more optimistic. What would a RMS leak have required?

Kevin
Old 07-06-2007, 11:14 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin K
Thanks Jim,

I'm beginning to feel a bit more optimistic. What would a RMS leak have required?

Kevin
RMS leak would have required dropping the engine also. The local dealer replaced the RMS on my '04 996 C2 about 4 months ago. I had dropped it off about 9:00 AM for some other "minor" warranty work and they saw that the RMS was "weeping" so they replaced it. Picked up the car at 5:30 PM.

For most of these guys (mechanics) dropping/reinstalling the engine is like an electrician replacing a faulty light fixture in your house. Remove the light bulb, open up the cover, remove 2 screws, disconnect the 3 wires, and remove bad fixture. Reverse the process to install the new fixture. Flip the switch and you have light! In other words, don’t sweat it!
Old 07-06-2007, 11:48 AM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

Being rather inexperienced in the Porsche ownership family, it sure doesn't sit well with me that such a new car needs what seems to me to be such a major piece of work so soon. The service advisor says, "No big deal, they drop engines all the time." I guess my concern is that the whole thing will leave me with some other problem if all isn't done just right. Dropping the engine just seems like temporarily removing the heart to fix a bad disc.
Kevin,

I'm certainly not a cardiac surgeon, I'm just an engineer. But I'm thinking that your doctor has better access to your heart than your Porsche mechanic has access to the 911's motor!

Take a good look at your engine bay - from the top, and the bottom - and you'll see that it's really tight in there...

So, pulling the motor is the first step in many repairs. As everyone here has noted, your service guys do this quite often - I'd imagine that there's probably at least one engine on a stand every day in their garage...

So, relax. Worst part is that your P-car is out of commission for a week. Best part will be when you get 'er back and she's perfect again. :-)

The RMS wouldn't have been much less work - but they'll check it while the motor is out and you should be fine moving forward. When you get the car back, drive the Hell out of it!

Cheers,

-don
Old 07-06-2007, 02:38 PM
Kevin K
Instructor

Thanks to all for the words of wisdom and experience.

I have the car back now to drive while waiting for the part to arrive, the leak is still only a few drops a day, so I'll enjoy the car this weekend and hand it back to the shop once the new gasket arrives.

Again, it's certainly nice to have a site like this to consult.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:30 PM
THinthedesert
Advanced

Thanks to all for the words of wisdom and experience.

I have the car back now to drive while waiting for the part to arrive, the leak is still only a few drops a day, so I'll enjoy the car this weekend and hand it back to the shop once the new gasket arrives.

Again, it's certainly nice to have a site like this to consult.
What gasket do they plan to replace??
Old 07-06-2007, 04:01 PM
The B
Racer

Originally Posted by dstrimbu
Kevin,

So, relax. Worst part is that your P-car is out of commission for a week. Best part will be when you get 'er back and she's perfect again. :-)

-don
I'm a local at my dealer, 3 RMS's, Clutch cable, ect...at the end of the day my biggest frustration was no P-car.

My dealer has been outstanding in every aspect of all my visits.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:22 PM
PAULSPEED
Pro

Hi,
While you have the engine out, you should replace
the spark plugs. This work is easy with the motor out.
It takes about 3 to 4 hours to do with the motor in.
Paul

Quick Reply: The Dreaded Drip