Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this a scam?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 03:59 AM
rountreed
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Off topic but from what I read Google is going after EBAY business. I think Google will win and that is where I have my money.
http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...ersusEbay.aspx
Old 06-28-2007, 06:15 AM
first500
Intermediate

I hope Google is set up better then Ebay or Paypal. I had a mystery charge on my paypal so I go to investigate it. Come to find out that it is on my Paypal debit card and I cant file a claim on line or on the phone! I have to send in a form via snail mail BEFORE they even will look at my case!!!!
After doing some investigation I found out some one hacked into my Ebay account and retrieved my card number there! even worse is that they set up a bunch of ads! I could understand if I fell for the FAKE EBAY login page scam but I havent been on my ebay account in months. Ebay looked into it and apperantly I attempted to log in 3059 times in a 5 hour period!! and they didnt even think something was up?
they still tried to get me for a couple hundred in fees!
Im pretty much done with ebay. I used to spend atleast $100 every couple of weeks, now its more like $100 a year! I refuse to use paypal now, their policies arnt for getting the customer his money back but to keep the fee's the crook spent out of my money! I still havent gotten my money and its been 2 weeks since Paypal received my claim!
sorry, rant over
Jeremy
Old 06-28-2007, 06:27 AM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jnx
The scam works because they hi jack the real ad, and then change the contact info. This is another reason that Ebay sucks for the most part.
I work in anti-fraud. After seeing how badly eBay and PayPal are attacked.. I quit dealing with any of it. Nevery really got burned but once is too many times. Until eBay gets a real about combating thier fraud/scamming problems I won't touch anything there with a 90' pole.

I feel safer dealing with the tweakers on Craig's List.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:01 AM
wetstuff
Pro

Scam that probably is. I actually like scams; they're good Darwin screens. There's plenty of closeted, greedy fucs deserving a rectal from a Nigerian Prince.

...but I've sold two cars - Boxster a month ago - before the auction ended ...in this past case with two other people saying; "We want it if they don't take it."

One time I looked, there were about 500 Boxsters on Cars.com, AutoTrader, etc for sale at any given moment, so my anecdotal expirence of selling cars in less than a week...has given me a pretty sunny outlook about Ebay.

...and I didn't give either away: I got $26-5 for mine while another guy was almost begging to get $20k for almost the same car (more miles) on the Boxster forum.

How...evva! I don't 'auction'. I pre fixe the car - right, in my mind - and won't sell to someone who will not come look at it.

It's also one of the very cheapest ways to advertise to a very narrow market. I've run an ad in a bi-monthly trade paper for $1100+mo for 20yrs. I now run a series of $7/10day ads for specific items on Ebay and am getting more direct feedback from Ebay?! There's a sea change out there and Ebay is part of it. (I quit those Google and Yahoo clicker ads.)
Old 06-28-2007, 10:44 AM
redduck996
Burning Brakes

Default re

I got a follow up email from him.. I still have not gotten his phone number.

Hello,

Sorry about the auction! It seems that according to ebay I still have to pay some fees (taxes) for some old transactions. I didn't receive any emails from them to announce me about that, that's why I did not pay!
Therefore, they decided to stop my auction until I will complete the payment for the old debts. It is rather pitiful, but that's what happened!

Anyway, the car is still available for sale and I would be glad to answer whatever questions you might have about it!

Martin
Old 06-28-2007, 10:57 AM
redduck996
Burning Brakes

Default pics

he just sent me some pics. does this car look familiar or belong to anyone?

Last edited by redduck996; 10-21-2014 at 09:13 PM.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:58 AM
jnx
Three Wheelin'

Tell him you will send him a check for $100k and to send the difference back to you by Western Union....
Old 06-28-2007, 11:10 AM
redduck996
Burning Brakes

ahhahahahah thats a good one..
Old 06-28-2007, 11:13 AM
redduck996
Burning Brakes

Default ok last one

I'm done with this clown.. He doesn't want to give out his number.
I would have been willing to fly out and drive back, this would have saved him a few bucks but he wouldnt have it.

Hello again,

Yes,is basalt black.

I am sorry but I cannot comply with your request of inspecting the car.You are the fourth person that asked me this question.It is rather hard to answer to this kind of request as it involves time and money spending(especially time which now is very important to me).

As I may have told you I am away with business in London,UK and I cannot take
any calls or conduct the deal in person, I am involved in a real estate project here.

I prefer to use DAS Auto Shippers for shipping because I was pleased with their services.The estimated time of delivery is 3-5 days,with no scratch, it is professionally crated.All documents, including clear title and a bill of sale on your name will be provided along with the car. eBay isn't handling the shiping.

My suggestion is eBaymotors for the transaction, the financial part will be managed by them. The only thing I request from you is to make the payment to eBay but no money will reach my account until the car is inspected. No offense, but I need to be sure the person who receives the car is verified by a legitimate party.

Look how this works:

1. I will contact eBay and give all the info about this deal.
2. They will send us the forms by email - for you about the payment.
3. I will send the car to your location and you will send the deposit($9,500) at eBay.
4. After you will inspect the car and decide to keep it,you will send the balance $60,500 to eBay,and after they will transfer the money into my account.

RETURN POLICY:
If by any reason the car is not as described, or if you find any problems with it I will pay for the returning fees. I'm sure it won't be the case because it's a state of art looking and working vehicle.As soon as the car arrives, you will test it and if it does not match 100% to your expectations, you will return it in max. 15 days since the arrival date. In this case you will send me the car in the same shape you received it.

If you wish to purchase it please provide me your full name and shipping address so I can initiate the deal through eBay.

Regards,
Martin
Old 06-28-2007, 11:45 AM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by redduck996
I'm done with this clown.. He doesn't want to give out his number.
I would have been willing to fly out and drive back, this would have saved him a few bucks but he wouldnt have it.

Hello again,

Yes,is basalt black.
Really? Looks like a clean non-metallic black.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:01 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Any straight-forward seller would give you his number. What's so secretive about a tel. number? I'm with you. No number or address,--walk quickly away. Do any of the photos that you have gotten show the REAR PLATE? Another red flag.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:19 PM
redduck996
Burning Brakes

Default the search continues

thanks guys..

rear but no plates

Last edited by redduck996; 10-21-2014 at 09:13 PM.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:36 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,031 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by redduck996
he just sent me some pics. does this car look familiar or belong to anyone?
I saw it on ebay about 3 months ago when I was shopping for a car. Was in the ballpark of what I was looking for but for reasons I can't recall now I steered clear. What you describe reeks to high heaven though. The FIRST order of business in a transaction like this is to establish phone contact imo. And why all this resistance to an inspection? A pre-purchase inspection by a Porsche dealer or and independent 3rd party is about $150 and takes an hour. Clearly this guy wants his unusually large deposit before anyone even sees this car.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:22 PM
mal28
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ask him for the VIN number
Old 06-28-2007, 02:02 PM
adfsouth
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can tell that the pics of that car were taken at Mizner Park in Boca Raton Florida. Just adding whatever value I can....

Quick Reply: Is this a scam?