Sponsored by:

Is this a scam?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 03:52 PM
redduck996
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this a scam?

I inquired about a car on ebay and this was the response I got. After several questions through email the listing has been removed.

Item # 170125636185

Hello,

I appreciate your interest in my 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera S Coupe
The buy it now price is $70,000 and I will pay for the shipping/handling fees to your location.
I accept $9,500 fully refundable deposit.The ballance($60,500) is due after inspection and delivery.

I will only deal through eBay for our own protection, they will hold and insure your money until receipt of the vehicle in good condition.A 15 days inspection period will start from the day you will receive the vehicle, in this time you must inspect it(authorized dealers only) and complete the transaction.

I'm a private seller and is my personal vehicle.I'm the original owner.
I am selling it under market value as I need the funds for a major investment. I am involved in a real estate project.

-it has the sports chrono package
-it has the PSE
-it is full leather
-non-smoker,garage kept
-actual mileage: 11,625
-the vehicle has a clear title(no lien).I have the title in hand.
-the vehicle is in showroom conditions inside and out.
-there are no dimples, dents or scratches of any kind,normal usage.
-exterior and interior are in a very good shape.
-the vehicle drives and looks brand new and has an incident free history.
-warranty,owner manual and service records available.
-remaining warranty and is transferable.
-no water damage, never wrecked or damaged in any way, never stolen.
-the transmission is manual.
-it has navigation system

The vehicle is registered in Studio City, CA 91614 and you will inspect the vehicle before the payment will be made.I assure you,the vehicle is in execellent shape,don't needs any work.

If you are absolutely interested to purchase it you must provide me with your full name and shipping address so I can register the deal with eBay.

Regards,
Martin
Old 06-27-2007, 04:16 PM
Graygoose997
.org
Rennlist Member

<I am selling it under market value as I need the funds for a major investment. I am involved in a real estate project.>
that scares me a bit. too much information, trying to sound like a high roller
Old 06-27-2007, 04:23 PM
Paul S.
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 49 Posts

Obviously since the listing disappeared, it's likely a scam. But even if it didn't, ask yourself the question would you sell a car, ship it and not have been paid in full first? Even dealers who have liberal return policies (like ProTeam Corvette that gives you 48 hours to rescind the deal after you've inspected the car at your door) require payment in full first, before they ship. This guy is just trying to separate you from the $9500 deposit.

The age old adage applies: if something appears too good to be true, it almost always is.
Old 06-27-2007, 04:35 PM
redduck996
Burning Brakes

thats too bad... I was almost ready to fly out there and drive it back... That way noone gets scammed..

Its funny, as soon as I asked for his number, the responses stopped and the listing was removed...

How does this scam work through ebay?
Old 06-27-2007, 04:38 PM
jnx
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by redduck996
thats too bad... I was almost ready to fly out there and drive it back... That way noone gets scammed..

Its funny, as soon as I asked for his number, the responses stopped and the listing was removed...

How does this scam work through ebay?
The scam works because they hi jack the real ad, and then change the contact info. This is another reason that Ebay sucks for the most part.
Old 06-27-2007, 04:55 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

I am in that area or close by at least once a week. If it reappears and you want me to go by get the guys address and phone number and pm them to me.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:06 PM
4thporsche
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely a scam.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:58 PM
redduck996
Burning Brakes

thanks toomey.. but i dont want you to waste your time on this scam.. Now had I sent him a deposit, that would be another story...
Old 06-27-2007, 06:19 PM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

At least it looks a little more (but not much) legit than the listings that appear with a buy it now price of $5,000 for an almost new 911 or Cayenne Turbo.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:21 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

This is one of the reasons that eBay recently revised the way they handle bidder identification. By merely identifying the bidder as "Bidder 2" only eBay can contact them for official reasons. No one else can slip in a quick "second chance" scam or or little trick to separate you from funds.

I predict that eBay may be out of business in a few short years. Clearly they have become a fence for a lot of stolen goods and they appear to me not to be active in assisting legitimate agencies in ending this. Remember, eBay makes money on every listing--selling or not.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:00 PM
fluid15
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Who would allow someone to recieve a 911, "inspect" (read: drive) it for 15 days, and then cancel the deal without losing a deposit?

I purchase cars out-of-state but would never do so without seeing it myself, or having a trusted contact assist with onsite presence.

Ridiculous.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:45 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

This is a classic scam - have seen it many times before. For some reason, 356's (which I watch regularly) seem to be a hot item for scams, and they are constant.

Agree ebay needs to be much more vigilant; once they get a dangerous place to buy rap, they will be out of business. The whole internet / email system, wonderful in so many ways, seems to be a rallying point for every crook in the world these days - rampant theft going on; and to find the suckers, they have to bother millions (billions?) of us with their never ending scam emails. Drives me nuts!
Old 06-27-2007, 09:10 PM
007GT3
Instructor

It's a scam.

Financial fraud on ebay is a big problem. I just had some deadbeat try and scam me out of a Rolex I am selling on ebay.

As for the cars, a buddy of mine works at a Land Rover dealership and he was telling me how the other day they got duped on a car they bought. Guy brought in a rover 9 months ago, they bought it from him, gave him a check for $50K, then they were done.

He called back a few days later said he lost the check. They put a stop order on the check and issued him a new one.

Nine months later (few weeks ago), guess what hit their bank account? The first check for $50K. Apparently a stop order on a check expires after 90 days at some banks. Of course the guy had already left town and they can't find him or the money.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:52 PM
redduck996
Burning Brakes

so many crooks out there.. We all going to hell, no two ways about it!!! ahhahaha

reminds me of a time when I gave a recent college student a 1k discount on my 325is once the deal had already been made. The car had been keyed on the door about 2 feet long. The kid must have overlooked it the day before or noticed it but didnt care. The next day he came with cash in hand and we were ready to make the swap but I couldn't in good conscience sell the car to this recent college grad without knowing that he knew about the blemish. He said he didnt notice so I offered him a 1k discount without him asking.. I just couldnt live with myself knowing that I jipped the guy who seemed so excited in buying his first bimmer and probably car post college.

So I guess the moral of this story is.. try not to cheat people, and "HOPEFULLY" you wont be dupped down the road...
Old 06-27-2007, 11:16 PM
Sharptt
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I predict that eBay may be out of business in a few short years. Clearly they have become a fence for a lot of stolen goods and they appear to me not to be active in assisting legitimate agencies in ending this. Remember, eBay makes money on every listing--selling or not.
I predict you will be wrong and am not selling my Ebay stock. Despite its shortcomings and limitations, Ebay has changed the world forever and is the dominant player in the auction market. But you can short the stock and make a fortune if you are correct.

Quick Reply: Is this a scam?