Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How can I tell if my rear spoiler is deploying automatically?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 10:55 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Marcel you're drunk.
Old 06-13-2007, 01:29 AM
PAULSPEED
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
I give him one hour in cleaning off the glue from
the duck tape. Lets hope he does not use
B-12 chem tool to reduce the time. I would
use fantastic first. Then some tar removal stuff.
Paul
Old 06-13-2007, 03:35 AM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 353 Likes on 183 Posts

Wow I can't believe my simple question turned into a 4 page posting including bully involvement.

Here's my response and then let's end this thread:

1. Several great options, thanks all for your ideas
2. Internet Bullies suck so if you are one - beware
3. My spoiler is bigger than yours, therefore I am more of a man than you
Old 06-13-2007, 09:49 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by JW911
Wow I can't believe my simple question turned into a 4 page posting including bully involvement.

Here's my response and then let's end this thread:

1. Several great options, thanks all for your ideas
2. Internet Bullies suck so if you are one - beware
3. My spoiler is bigger than yours, therefore I am more of a man than you
Dont' be casting aspersions and making false accusations based on the tired, incessant whinings of one sissified individual in particular. You haven't been here long enough to make that assessment.

As for your simple question - some might call it a stupid question, but there really are few of those, it's usually stupid answers, and you saw plenty here.

As for why it turned into a 4 page thread, the guys were just bored and were just having fun with it, as there wasn't much going on to attract our interest - it was a slow news day! And yes, during slow news days even a Paris Hilton makes front page news.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:34 AM
NJtarga4
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now that we all know how to determine if the spoiler has raised-Is there a way to adjust the speed that the spoiler raises? Nothing looks quite as impressive as watching from behind as the spoiler goes up. I would like it to raise at 50 and drop at 25. I like the look and as I am not on the track I don't get over 70 except on the highway.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:43 AM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

push the button at any speed you want to raise the spoiler!!
Old 06-13-2007, 01:39 PM
BlueJay73
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I took the "bent coat hanger duct-taped to to your spoiler while you drive 75 mph" as a joke. Er... it was a joke, right? Wasn't it?
Old 06-13-2007, 01:50 PM
MMD
Banned

Originally Posted by BlueJay73
I took the "bent coat hanger duct-taped to to your spoiler while you drive 75 mph" as a joke. Er... it was a joke, right? Wasn't it?

No. Unless one wants to bully and mock people while one hangs out with one's "exclusive" (LOL!) clique.

Go to a track and see tape all over cars protecting lights, bumpers, stone gards.

Notice "mules," camouflaged new models of Porsches are plastered with tape as they street test them even at high speeds.

Also notice the "hours" of time they spend in the pits, removing the goo-y and sticky mess from where the tape was stuck (yeah right). Track guys have zero problems sticking duct tape (or gaffers tape) to _their_ cars.

Picture shows wire piece is _mainly_ secured by being shoved into vent space. Tape merely holds it there. Be careful though, I guess the tape, used in this way, would blow off at Mach 1+ speeds.

Thanks for all the entertaining and challenging responses to my solution to the spoiler deployment question.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:08 PM
BlueJay73
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Sorry. My bad. No offense intended.
I enjoy watching this war you two have, but I don't want to be a part of it.
I just think the coat hanger sticking up on the tail going down the highway is silly.
Imho.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:13 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Your solution was the simpler than the one I was about to recommend, "Curb Feelers" and a small flag!!
I can't believe all the vitriol being expressed!!
Jeeze!
Old 06-13-2007, 02:14 PM
Irksome
Racer

I'm not taking a stand on any of the meat of this thread, but I would like to point out that putting duct tape on your car is a really bad idea. There are many types of tape that will work very well for this, though, some of which is actually called 'racers tape', and various paint masking tapes are excellent. Real duct tape can do some serious damage to your paint, and should not be used.

And, in general, try to have a good recent wax job on your car before applying tape to it.

I use racers tape for autocrossing (I got tired of cleaning cone marks), and it comes off with no issues, no gummy residue, no damage. And it sticks plenty well, even if you want to tape on a coat hanger with a doodad at the end of it.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:16 PM
MMD
Banned

Originally Posted by larrytrk
!
I can't believe all the vitriol being expressed!!
Jeeze!
Me neither!

Notice it's all one-sided.

Doesn't matter what the thread is about either. This board is muuuuuch too permissive to allow personal attacks like OCBen's.

WOW.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:21 PM
MMD
Banned

Originally Posted by BlueJay73
Sorry. My bad. No offense intended.
I enjoy watching this war you two have, but I don't want to be a part of it.
I just think the coat hanger sticking up on the tail going down the highway is silly.
Imho.
No problemo!

The thing _looks_ stupid but does the job and is bulletproof.

You'd only do it if you suspected problems and wanted to know what's really going on with spoiler before you spent time going to dealer.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:27 PM
MMD
Banned

Originally Posted by Irksome
Real duct tape can do some serious damage to your paint, and should not be used.
Not to go nuts with details, but I have no problem using it for the twenty minutes it's gonna take you to figure out what's going with your spoiler.

The stuff is mineral-oil based - not like a bad solvent - so it's fine for a short while. Over a few days or weeks, when it dries out, which happens quickly, its a mess.

Definitely smart though to realize there's a hundred different adhesive tapes out there and they all have specialized uses.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:35 PM
Irksome
Racer

There was a participant in the local PCA A/X not too long ago who used duct tape, and pulled paint off his car at the end of the day, some 8 hours after it was put on. Depending on the exact tape, condition and age of paint, and condition of sealant/wax, even 30 seconds could conceivably do damage. Of course, the likelihood of it doing damage quickly to a 997 (at most 3 years old, probably good paint in good condition) is probably very low, so you're probably right about it being 'fine for a short while' for that use.

Quick Reply: How can I tell if my rear spoiler is deploying automatically?