Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How can I tell if my rear spoiler is deploying automatically?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007 | 04:15 PM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

just sit up a little in your seat and look at the mirror, you should be able to see some of the spoiler
Old 06-11-2007 | 04:45 PM
PAULSPEED
Pro

Default WING

Hi,
Go to a DE event. There is always someone
taking pictures.
Paul
Old 06-11-2007 | 04:49 PM
OCBen
Banned

How 'bout mounting a camera on the back aimed at the spoiler with a small monitor mounted on your dash so you can get a wood seeing exactly what speed gives your spoiler one.
Old 06-11-2007 | 05:04 PM
Irksome
Racer

In my 996, I can always see my spoiler when it is deployed. I sit up pretty straight in my seat, and I'm tall-ish, but I would guess that anyone above 5'6" could sit up high enough to see it in their rear-view mirror. I see maybe the top 1-2" of it when it is deployed. Not enough that I notice it unless I'm really watching for it.

Not sure if the 997 configuration is exactly the same or not.
Old 06-11-2007 | 05:43 PM
Kevin H. in Atl..
Burning Brakes

FWIW:

New for the 997, and an improvement in engine compartment cooling from the 996, imho:

From the Owners Manual:

Automatic mode
The limits for automatic extension and retraction
of the spoiler depend on various circumstances
(e.g. driving speed, engine compartment temperature).

Engine compartment temperature
under 122°F/55°C
Spoiler extends at 75 mph/120 km/h and
retracts at 37 mph/60 km/h.

Engine compartment temperature
over 140°F/60°C
Spoiler extends at 50 mph/80 km/h and retracts
at 19 mph/30 km/h.
If automatic control fails, a warning message is
displayed by the on-board computer.
Old 06-11-2007 | 09:55 PM
MMD
Banned

Get a coat hangar, bend the first twelve inches into a four inch dia circle. Use the rest of the CH and bend it 90 degrees to the plane of the circle. Will look like a little antenna sticking up from flat disk/circle. First cover the circle in duct tape to prevent scratches _then_ tape it to the trailing edge of the spoiler.

Now put a little colored tape on the end of the "antenna" so you can see it in the rearview mirror.

Drive and deploy, watch tape on antenna go up and down... .
Old 06-11-2007 | 10:24 PM
4thporsche
Racer

Coat hanger?? $80 - $100k+ car? duct tape?? I bet that holds really well when your at 75mph (when the spoiler deploys...). I can just see it now..... blowing off my car, hitting another car and/or causing an accident and getting my *** in a lawsuit....
The following users liked this post:
Art Wood (12-17-2022)
Old 06-11-2007 | 10:36 PM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

Here's a CH-free suggestion...

Just watch the reaction of the people in the car behind you as you stop at a freeway off-ramp. Unless you live in a Porsche-saturated area like SoCal, there's bound to be some pointing and smiling as they watch the spoiler retract!
Old 06-12-2007 | 12:25 AM
MMD
Banned

Originally Posted by 4thporsche
Coat hanger?? $80 - $100k+ car? duct tape?? I bet that holds really well when your at 75mph (when the spoiler deploys...). I can just see it now..... blowing off my car, hitting another car and/or causing an accident and getting my *** in a lawsuit....
Think what you want. Did it on my BoxsterS several years ago; no problem. The wind resistance on a piece of wire is small and the shear force on the adhesive tape can be huge before failure.

If you're still not convinced, do something clever and wrap the wire _into_ the spoiler then tape over it. Figure out a way to do it so there're no idiotiic scratches.

What's the big deal about the cost of the car? I don't get it? Maybe use the most expensive duct tape you can find?

If you're unable to do things around the house (change a faucet washer, or re-cord a table lamp) that means this sort of thing is too complex a task and perhaps you should be afraid and not do what I suggested.
Old 06-12-2007 | 12:30 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Get a GT3 rear wing and forget about the electronic spoiler! ;-)
Old 06-12-2007 | 12:33 AM
hjluvjj
Advanced

Originally Posted by JW911
I can't see it. I can't hear it. I've even tried to look at my reflection in a shiny van as I drive by but can't quite catch the image. So short of having an observer riding next to me, is there any way to tell?
This is what I tried. Drive by a shiny van, but not on the next lane. Give a little more space than one lane. That way, I was able to see my 997 with rear spoiler up. However, this could be a bit dangerous as well since you are going at least 75 miles per hour to see this.
Old 06-12-2007 | 12:49 AM
MMD
Banned

The easiest thing to do, deploy spoiler while parked, shove a wad of paper in there close spoiler. Drive. Check for missing paper when pulled over for littering and speeding.
Old 06-12-2007 | 12:56 AM
4thporsche
Racer

Originally Posted by MMD
Think what you want. Did it on my BoxsterS several years ago; no problem. The wind resistance on a piece of wire is small and the shear force on the adhesive tape can be huge before failure.

If you're still not convinced, do something clever and wrap the wire _into_ the spoiler then tape over it. Figure out a way to do it so there're no idiotiic scratches.

What's the big deal about the cost of the car? I don't get it? Maybe use the most expensive duct tape you can find?

If you're unable to do things around the house (change a faucet washer, or re-cord a table lamp) that means this sort of thing is too complex a task and perhaps you should be afraid and not do what I suggested.
Actually, I am total DIY (construction, cars, whatever). Could run circles around you... but I have bigger fish to fry than dealing with this jibberish..... Good riddance.
Old 06-12-2007 | 01:03 AM

Question

Originally Posted by JW911
I can't see it. I can't hear it. I've even tried to look at my reflection in a shiny van as I drive by but can't quite catch the image. So short of having an observer riding next to me, is there any way to tell?
Can't you just check your arsuodg???
Old 06-12-2007 | 01:20 AM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by 4thporsche
Actually, I am total DIY (construction, cars, whatever). Could run circles around you... but I have bigger fish to fry than dealing with this jibberish..... Good riddance.
Ah yes, welcome to the whacky world of Marcel's Madness Deluxe and his gibberish nonsensical ideas. But you already knew that about him if you've been here long enough.

Quick Reply: How can I tell if my rear spoiler is deploying automatically?