Sponsored by:

Short shifter.....OEM or B&M?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 07:08 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,028 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
They are not identical. The B&M product is apparently inferior to the OEM, according to well documented information. You might just get what you pay for.

If you had helped yourself to the abundant amount of information in this forum by doing a search you would have found this:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/180906-shift-kits-b-and-b-vs-oem.html

Spring for the OEM. Why go cheap?

I just can't find "well documented information" to the fact that the B&M product is inferior to the OEM. In fact, the link you posted starts with the account of someone who installed the B&M, didn't like the 2nd to 3rd throw and replaced it with the OEM. Sounds like this may have been resolved by adjusting the cables or by starting with a current product. The last post on that thread is from the same guy who admits that the B&M system he installed may have been an older version and not a good fit for the 997 as it only made reference to 996 applications. Further........other posters praise the B&M and one actually prefers it over the OEM.

Why go cheap? I can assure you that nothing I do with my car is on the cheap. But I also won't throw away $300 for no good reason. Best I can tell from all the information available is that both systems ARE made by the same company, are identical in terms of operation and performance but look slightly different for obvious reasons. If I can find well documented information supporting the superiority of the OEM over the B&M I'll gladly pay whatever premium it takes to get the best. I just don't see it.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:55 PM
4thporsche
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My independent P-mechanic (that I have used for 17 years) talked me into the B&M. Can't remember the specifics but he was very clear that in his opinion the B&M was the better product (certain parts on the B&M were steel versus plastic on the OEM). Took his advice and haven't look back. I read the referenced thread before I made my purchase and I certainly didn't draw the conclusion that the B&M was inferior. Couldn't justify the price premium for the OEM based on the data points available to me. In my opinion, the only thing the OEM product has going for it is the one piece construction and thus the install is a little easier.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:16 PM
Graygoose997
.org
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i may be wrong, but i believe that b&m was the oem supplier for the 996 cars, not the 997
might explain why old time mechanics are recommending the b&M piece

when I had mine done at brandywine porsche,a dealer with their own tuning shop, the recommendation was with the porsche unit. they had both, and the porsche piece was a bit more i'm vergo with the b&m, eric is the man to see
Old 05-30-2007, 11:50 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
I just can't find "well documented information" to the fact that the B&M product is inferior to the OEM. In fact, the link you posted starts with the account of someone who installed the B&M, didn't like the 2nd to 3rd throw and replaced it with the OEM. Sounds like this may have been resolved by adjusting the cables or by starting with a current product. The last post on that thread is from the same guy who admits that the B&M system he installed may have been an older version and not a good fit for the 997 as it only made reference to 996 applications. Further........other posters praise the B&M and one actually prefers it over the OEM.

Why go cheap? I can assure you that nothing I do with my car is on the cheap. But I also won't throw away $300 for no good reason. Best I can tell from all the information available is that both systems ARE made by the same company, are identical in terms of operation and performance but look slightly different for obvious reasons. If I can find well documented information supporting the superiority of the OEM over the B&M I'll gladly pay whatever premium it takes to get the best. I just don't see it.
Hey, don't get me wrong. I really couldn't care less what you do with your money or what you do with your car, believe me. I actually thought you were looking for helpful advice, otherwise I wouldn't have wasted my time here as I have better things to do.

Looks like you're not seeing the forest for the trees in the thread I linked. The only reason I cited that thread is to illustrate that there is an obvious difference between the two shifters - that they are not identical even though they may be made by the same manufacturer. The content of the thread was irrelevant to that point, which you apparently missed.

If I ever have to replace my clutch - or any other component in my car - I know it will be with a genuine Porsche part, even though I might be able to find a cheaper alternative made by an aftermarket manufacturer who claims to make an equivalent replacement part. That's what I meant by not going cheap.

But, hey, it's your car. ........ Do with it as you wish.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:57 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

Remember, 'cheap' sometimes implies poor quality. B&M is a top-quality, first-rate proven shifter for highline cars, including Porsche, and is backed with a million-mile warranty. The fact that we are a large stocking distributor that allows us to market it for a lower than list price, is a good thing. But calling it 'cheap' cheapens it a bit.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 05-31-2007, 02:46 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Hey, don't get me wrong. I really couldn't care less what you do with your money or what you do with your car, believe me. I actually thought you were looking for helpful advice, otherwise I wouldn't have wasted my time here as I have better things to do.

Looks like you're not seeing the forest for the trees in the thread I linked. The only reason I cited that thread is to illustrate that there is an obvious difference between the two shifters - that they are not identical even though they may be made by the same manufacturer. The content of the thread was irrelevant to that point, which you apparently missed.

If I ever have to replace my clutch - or any other component in my car - I know it will be with a genuine Porsche part, even though I might be able to find a cheaper alternative made by an aftermarket manufacturer who claims to make an equivalent replacement part. That's what I meant by not going cheap.

But, hey, it's your car. ........ Do with it as you wish.

I UNDERSTAND and have already conceded that they are not identical in appearance. But is that really important? I thought the point of this discussion was to establish whether the more than twice as expensive OEM product is superior or as you claimed, the B&M product is inferior despite being produced by the same company offering the same performance and warranty specs. on both products . If anything, as this thread keeps growing it seems like testimony from neither end users, nor their P-mechanics support your claim.

As for the clutch analogy, I see your point but don't necessarily agree that the analogy is a good one.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:55 AM
OCBen
Banned

I thought the point of this discussion was to establish whether the more than twice as expensive OEM product is superior or as you claimed, the B&M product is inferior despite being produced by the same company offering the same performance and warranty specs. on both products .
Maybe simplifying things might help - maybe not.

The Porsche Sport Shifter is engineered by Porsche and is a standard option on the 997.

The B&M shifter is engineered by B&M, who may or may not be the supplier who - and this fact has not been established yet - builds the Porsche shifter to the engineering specifications spelled out by Porsche.

I'll repeat what I said. My money is on Porsche having a better engineering department than that of a small manufacturing plant, which B&M is in comparison. If B&M is the supplier who builds them for Porsche, all that tells me is that they are competent enough to read engineering drawings and produce a product to the exacting specifications laid down by Porsche, without screwing it up - that's all that says!

I have already conceded that they are not identical in appearance. But is that really important?
If two mechanisms (and that's what these shifters are) are not identical in appearance they are not identical in performance, as any competent mechanical engineer will tell you.

As for the clutch analogy, I see your point but don't necessarily agree that the analogy is a good one.
I'll admit it was a bad analogy. I was in a hurry and that was the best I could come up with at the time.

Here's a better example. For Europe and the ROW, Porsche engineered a lowering kit for the 997 that you can order as an option on your ordered car, and presumably have installed after the fact. If that were available in the US, I guarantee you people would be lining up to order the Porsche engineered suspension even if it cost twice as much as the lowering kits engineered by the likes of H&R and others. It is no coincidence, by the way, that guys with aftermarket lowering kits are experiencing problems with their ride after awhile. But that fact doesn't stop others from ordering them as well. Why? Because the Porsche engineered lowering kit is not available in the US, and guys who want a lowered ride have no choice but to resort to these aftermarket suppliers.

Here's the really good news! For those who want shorter shifting throws in their 997, the Porsche engineered Sport Shifter mechanism is available right now at 10% off at your local Porsche parts counter (with a valid PCA membership card, of course).

And if that doesn't convince you, guess what? You're in that small market group that B&M targets who think the B&M shifter is just as good. All I can say is contact Plug Guy Eric who is waiting to hear from you.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:20 AM
Rolf Stumberger
Racer

I UNDERSTAND and have already conceded that they are not identical in appearance. But is that really important? I thought the point of this discussion was to establish whether the more than twice as expensive OEM product is superior or as you claimed, the B&M product is inferior despite being produced by the same company offering the same performance and warranty specs. on both products . If anything, as this thread keeps growing it seems like testimony from neither end users, nor their P-mechanics support your claim.

The OEM unit is more expensive because you get the entire shifter assmbly.
Housing and all .
Also ,keep in mind that the OEM shifter is permanently installed in the housing and if you look closely at the pictures, you will see that the B&M stick is BOLTED in and the bushings are secured with cotter pins.
Will the B&M shifter work itself loose after a while ? will it need
adjusting / periodic lubricating ? I don't know . Perhaps someone else can comment .
To me, the OEM assembly just looks a lot more " secure "

The other thing is how they feel( that is a function of the length of the lever below the pivot point ) I am not sure they are both the same .

I am not implying that one is better than the other since I have never tried the B&M. I only know that the OEM shifter works as well as the standard unit,but with a shorter throw and is as precise as a rifle bolt ( well, almost Lol )

Finally , are you doing the installation yourself or have the dealer do it ?
Check how much more it will cost to install the B&M ( labor hours) .
The difference in cost may not be worth it .

Either way, you will love the shifter .Have fun.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:47 AM
OCBen
Banned

Excellent points, Rolf.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:47 PM
MMD
Banned

The Porsche Sport Shifter is engineered by Porsche and is a standard option on the 997.

The B&M shifter is engineered by B&M, who may or may not be the supplier who - and this fact has not been established yet - builds the Porsche shifter to the engineering specifications spelled out by Porsche.

I'll repeat what I said. My money is on Porsche having a better engineering department than that of a small manufacturing plant, which B&M is in comparison. If B&M is the supplier who builds them for Porsche, all that tells me is that they are competent enough to read engineering drawings and produce a product to the exacting specifications laid down by Porsche, without screwing it up - that's all that says!
Wow.

So I'm confused. My exclusive use, purchase and advocation of only Porsche Battery maintainers must be wrong.

You claimed your cheaper aftermarket chinese-made (Sears?) battery maintainer is just as good. Your reasoning astonished me because Porsche explicitly wants only Porsche-approved electronic devices to maintain warrenty; and yet you were satisfied with the "UL approved" device you were using.

You told me I was woefully misleading myself thinking along the same lines as you do above. Those are my words almost exactly in the battery maintainer debate:

"My money is on Porsche having a better engineering department than that of a [chinese-made battery maintainer supplier]."

Try not to bully, insult or flame if you choose to clarify.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:15 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by MMD
Try not to bully, insult or flame if you choose to clarify.
Okay Marcel, I'll put on the kid gloves for you, knowing how sensitive you are to criticism.

It's really simple.

1. The Porsche shifter is an integral drivetrain component for the sole purpose of shifting the transmission gears precisely, whose smooth and precise operation is critical for quick gear changes on the track or on the streets.

2. A battery maintainer is entirely external to the car and its sole purpose is to maintain a full charge on the battery, whose only purpose, by the way, is to turn over the engine, which once fired up no longer needs the battery as it is now capable of sustaining electrical output necessary for all electrical circuits and components required for optimum operation of said engine by means of the alternator circuit, which now charges the battery for the next time the engine needs to be fired up.

A battery maintainer is like a car cover. And you certainly don't need the Porsche Tequipment car cover to say you are properly covering your car.

Was that thorough and clear enough for you without the dreaded flames, buddy ol' pal?
Old 05-31-2007, 01:31 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Rolf Stumberger
Finally , are you doing the installation yourself or have the dealer do it ?
Check how much more it will cost to install the B&M ( labor hours) .
The difference in cost may not be worth it .
Well....that's another thing here. The dealership quoted me 2hrs. for either system. No difference. And they actually steered me towards the B&M which was the reason I started this thread to begin with. What's more likely: That a Porsche dealership parts & service manager recommends a "cheap, inferior after market product" or an after market product that's been installed frequenly with few complaints and appears equal to or better than the oem product?
Old 05-31-2007, 01:43 PM
nomo16
AutoX

I just had the Porsche OEM Short Shift kit installed yesterday. It was shown to me that the OEM is the complete housing versus just the unit from B&M. I personally felt more comfortable with the OEM unit, because, as someone above stated, that "nothing is broken off and secured wuth a cotter pin". But that is just me. I have heard nothing but praises for the B&M unit also.

Nonetheless, it is the best thing I've added to the car(to date anyway). I believe it should be standard on all S models.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:04 PM
OCBen
Banned

And they actually steered me towards the B&M which was the reason I started this thread to begin with. What's more likely: That a Porsche dealership parts & service manager recommends a "cheap, inferior after market product" or an after market product that's been installed frequenly with few complaints and appears equal to or better than the oem product?
Get the B&M product and be done with it. It was made for guys like you who want to go cheap
I mean, who want to save a few bucks by buying an alternative aftermarket product.

(Marcel, see Post #26 for clarification.)
Old 05-31-2007, 02:12 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

If two mechanisms (and that's what these shifters are) are not identical in appearance they are not identical in performance, as any competent mechanical engineer will tell you.

I'll admit it was a bad analogy. I was in a hurry and that was the best I could come up with at the time.

Here's a better example. For Europe and the ROW, Porsche engineered a lowering kit for the 997 that you can order as an option on your ordered car, and presumably have installed after the fact. If that were available in the US, I guarantee you people would be lining up to order the Porsche engineered suspension even if it cost twice as much as the lowering kits engineered by the likes of H&R and others. It is no coincidence, by the way, that guys with aftermarket lowering kits are experiencing problems with their ride after awhile. But that fact doesn't stop others from ordering them as well. Why? Because the Porsche engineered lowering kit is not available in the US, and guys who want a lowered ride have no choice but to resort to these aftermarket suppliers.

Here's the really good news! For those who want shorter shifting throws in their 997, the Porsche engineered Sport Shifter mechanism is available right now at 10% off at your local Porsche parts counter (with a valid PCA membership card, of course).

And if that doesn't convince you, guess what? You're in that small market group that B&M targets who think the B&M shifter is just as good. All I can say is contact Plug Guy Eric who is waiting to hear from you.
Thanks for the advice on the PCA discount - forgot all about it and am having the Porsche SS kit installed tomorrow - very timely. Also, I thought you could get the Porsche ROW lowering suspension through someone like Gert at Carnewal.

Quick Reply: Short shifter.....OEM or B&M?