Do I need to add oil?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 08:08 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Do I need to add oil?

Greetings,

I have about 1,500 miles on my '07 997S . When I cold-started my car in the morning, the oil level display showed 'only one flashing bar', and when I warm-started my car after lunch, it showed 'one solid bar'.

ls it time to add some oil to the car? If so, how much oil should I add, and what type of oil should I get (this is a California car) ?

I know I can just bring the car to the dealer and let them take care of it, but I trust you folk more so l would like to ask for your advise first...

Thanks in advance.

With best regards,
Old 05-14-2007, 08:33 AM
Frino
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like it's about time for you to add a half a quart...no reason to take it to the dealer. Stick to Mobil 1 (0-40, IIRC)

I don't add oil until I get measurement reading of one bar above lowest hash mark for several days in a row. Measurement taken after vehicle has sat overnight and is on a level surface. Better to run at a slightly lower level than to overfill.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:44 AM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

I agree, I always keep 1 bar down so I never overfill! Always ck. Cold and level.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:56 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If you run your car hard (ie: Track), you'll find that down one bar = full bars when hot.

My car consumed 1/2 Liter during break in and not a drop since.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:56 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by axhoaxho
Greetings,

I have about 1,500 miles on my '07 997S . When I cold-started my car in the morning, the oil level display showed 'only one flashing bar', and when I warm-started my car after lunch, it showed 'one solid bar'.

ls it time to add some oil to the car? If so, how much oil should I add, and what type of oil should I get (this is a California car) ?
Yes, it's time to add oil, Mobil 1 0W40. If the lower segment was flashing you need at least a qt, and possibly an additional quarter of a quart, but a qt at least for sure. I would just add a qt for now if you're not comfortable tweaking it just right and don't want to run the risk of over filling.

The difference between the minimum and maximum segments is approximately 1.27 qts. See the following links for more info:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...5&postcount=12

https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...2&postcount=16
Attached Images  
Old 05-14-2007, 10:07 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Greetings,

I know I can just bring the car to the dealer and let them take care of it, but I trust you folk more so l would like to ask for your advise first...

Thanks in advance.

With best regards,
I agree with all - I suggest adding a half quart, check the level and then add the rest if needed. BTW, no difference between California cars and any others.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:27 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
I agree with all - I suggest adding a half quart, check the level and then add the rest if needed.
He clearly needs more than a qt if the lower segment was flashing on a cold start. Might as well put in the full qt now and be done with it.

If he adds just a half qt initially, he won't have an accurate reading if he checks his oil level immediately after to see where he's at after adding it, as it will take a considerable amount of time before the added oil is able to work its way through the cold engine and settle at the bottom of the case to give a more accurate reading.

If he were to rely on that method of determining how much oil to add he would run the risk of over filling, as each time he checks it would appear that he has not added enough, and may be temped to add more than what the initial cold reading indicated, which is the 1.27 qts.

The initial cold reading is the reliable reading and should be the baseline reading for all measurements. At any other time when there might be oil that has not completely settled, the reading is not to be trusted, and may lead to over filling if one is not aware of the dynamics at work here.

Of course if he wanted to he could add a half qt one day and then wait until the next day to read his oil level and then add the rest of the qt if that makes him feel more comfortable. But I would wait a full day on a cold engine after the oil has settled overnight before checking to add.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:31 AM
oalvarez
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

or perhaps 3/4 of a quart if you're concerned with one suggestion being too little and the other one too much!

Last edited by oalvarez; 05-14-2007 at 10:52 AM.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:32 AM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Greetings,

Thanks in advance.

With best regards,
Good advice here - get your Ow40 from a store like Kragen - you'll find not all auto stores stock the Mobil 0W40.

Also, oil use is within Porsche spec, and top-up is just part of your care routine for your car.

No need to be concerned or take your car to the dealership.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:46 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Suggest you begin filling oil one half quart at a time. Many herein (Rennlist) tend to overfill their oil and it's always better to run it a little on the lower side. Been driving 911s since 1976 so I know the routine. I tend to put a 1/2 quart/litre in when I see that same level, either one or it flashing, and I see that consistently after 3 oil level checks.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:48 PM
JMAGOLAN
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would agree with OCBen on this. As presented, the lower bar was flashing with a cold (overnight?) engine. As per the manual, the car is down 1.27 quart plus. Adding one quart and rechecking the next day (again, cold, overnight engine) would seem the most prudent approach. While an overfill is to be avoided, a flashing bar does not indicate how far down on oil you actually are (solid bar is 1.27 quarts), and a significant underfill, while unlikely at this point, could be much worse. Just my 2 cents worth.

Jerry
Old 05-14-2007, 01:49 PM
Sunshine
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been checking my oil on a hot engine during gas fills and it always reads full to the top bar. It takes about 4.5 minutes to read the level. Should I be checking on a cold engine instead? 2600 miles and I haven't added any oil.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:56 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah, keep throwing the Mobil 0W40 in your car and buy a few more quarts and keep them in your trunk. Or, you can use a better oil and maybe your car will not burn any oil as it was designed to do.
Old 05-14-2007, 02:05 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lori
I've been checking my oil on a hot engine during gas fills and it always reads full to the top bar. It takes about 4.5 minutes to read the level. Should I be checking on a cold engine instead? 2600 miles and I haven't added any oil.

Lori,

I suggest you check the oil level every two weeks before startup and with a cold engine (morning). The P-car should be parked on a flat surface. I always take the reading in the same place (my garage). The reading should take 4-5 seconds...

Old 05-14-2007, 02:28 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Oil usage seems to vary quite a bit. In almost 5k miles (no track) I've used about 0.5 quart on 997S so I guess I'm fortunate. One question that I've never seen addressed is what really constitutes "low oil". Porsche has the bar flash when you're 1.2 quarts low but with a car that has a 9 quart crankcase what would be considered dangerously low. I understand the need to add when the bar is flashing but how low do you have to be to potentially cause problems - down 2 quarts??

Quick Reply: Do I need to add oil?