997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anybody regret buying base c2s only?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007 | 11:08 AM
c4silver
8th Gear

Default anybody regret buying base c2s only?

i am presented with a choice of getting a c2s with only full leather as an option(meteor gray) vs another one with power seats/chrono/nav/cd changer/bose/(basalt black). price diff is 4k. love the full leather black with meteor but basalt black and the options nice too. not a daily driver . assume i can only buy new.
my question is based loosely on whether anybody regretted buying an unloaded c2s (altho full leather costs much) by saving the $$$ and the advantage of the weight loss.
thanks
Old 05-12-2007 | 11:31 AM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

IMO, unless it is a dedicated track car load it up. So much easier to get the options from the factory than to try to add something after the fact if you need or want it.
Old 05-12-2007 | 11:52 AM
Jerry Fisher
Instructor

my c2S has fairly minimal options ( power seats, Bose, 5mm spacers, SD wheels) and I am quite comfortable with the car. The c2S has a pretty strong std equip,list vs. the c2. I really like the power seats because I move the seat back to get in and out of the car due to my height challenged stature.
Otherwise, I am sure you could find a comfortable seating postion w/o the power option.

Last edited by Jerry Fisher; 05-12-2007 at 03:56 PM.
Old 05-12-2007 | 12:20 PM
9000RPMan
Intermediate

I really like the nav option.
Old 05-12-2007 | 01:09 PM
ezinternet
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

> c4silver asked:
my question is based loosely on whether anybody regretted buying an unloaded c2s (altho full leather costs much) by saving the $$$ and the advantage of the weight loss.

I just had the opportunity to consider two nearly identical cars with different levels of options. I would have regretted buying the less-optioned car, so I didn't! Yes - I would have regretted buying unloaded.

Specifically, to your dilemma, the 2nd car sounds great. Full leather is very nice however the stock interior is not shabby; I would suggest that meteor gray is more common than basalt black and found more often across P models (such as the Cayenne); and that the Basalt has interesting color depth that works with the car's shape.

As to weight, what are your plans for use and your expectations of performance that you would be concerned about the added weight of Nav or Bose? There's a cost (weight and perhaps additional cost) but each option brings a benefit in usage and enjoyment.

Finally, consider resale and the attractiveness of those options to others.

Do a gut-check and pretend you own each car in turn. Once you get past the initial cost difference, test how it feels to own car X. You'll know :-)

-ez
Old 05-12-2007 | 03:27 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Here's what I ordered:
Cobalt (base metallic for 07)
022 Black Dials (no cost)
Sport Seats, heated (manual - need heated for cold track days)
Fire Extinguisher
Floor Mats

That's it - don't regret the minimal options, the car is plenty luxurious for a sports car already. What's nice is that every time I go to the track, a tuner shop, a club meeting, etc. people drool over the car. Not because it's a newer 997s, but because it's not loaded up. "Awesome, you got the manual sport seats... Aww, why'd you get the computer screen, don't tell me you got Nav?!?... I explain, all 997 models come with the screen.

I do wish I could have deleted the sunroof - worst place on a car for weight... I do think about the weight savings and maybe by not ordering much, I saved 100 lbs over a loaded up car. Hey, every pound adds up. Some guys joke that what's 10 lbs for this or 50 lbs for power seats? Weight is weight, every ounce makes a difference on the track.

There's the difference between the two buyers of a Porsche. The club / track guys more times than not are mostly interested in the least amount of equipment possible - these are the guys that probably wish all Porsches came with crank windows and long for the day of 3-dial manual climate control. The other group are those that want every creature comfort - and thank goodness for those guys because without them, Porsche would have probably gone out of business long ago.

The thing is you really can't go wrong no matter what you get in the car.
Old 05-12-2007 | 03:34 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Go for the base model and load up on options later, like these.

Chrono:

Nav:

CD changer:

Old 05-12-2007 | 04:00 PM
Moogle
Race Car

Those are good options to have, sports seats are great too.

It's up to you if you want creature comforts or a bare bones car, if its not going to be used on the track often, you'll be glad you got more options, as the base configuration is rather wanting.
Old 05-12-2007 | 06:15 PM
PAULSPEED
Pro

Hi,
Options are great. I would recommend getting all
the ones you want. I like my six CD changer.
Paul
Old 05-12-2007 | 09:37 PM
mal28
Rennlist Member

since I just placed my final order (today!), I thought I'd give my opinion:

Divide options into useful and cosmetic.

the useful ones I would definitely buy, such as electric seats, rear wiper and heated seats (needed in Ohio!) self dimming mirrors etc

The cosmetic ones are up to you. I love the look and feel and smell of leather, so I loaded up on these.

The Bose system is +/-, I rather listen to the sound of the engine, but a nice music system is pleasant when "commuting"
Old 05-12-2007 | 10:20 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

It was truly the Rennlist forum here that helped me to finalize my order. Looking back I can safely say that I wouldn't change a thing. Of course, loading up a 997 these days is never inexpensive. But with a bit of negotiating skills you can adjust that impact fairly well. With Porsche's production numbers anyone can get good discounts off MSRP without working too hard.

I owned a couple of stripped Porsches years ago. I truly appreciated and appreciate, today, a loaded up one. I like to drive. Mostly back roads and highways. As such, I appreciate all the diversions that come with the options. It helps pass the time. If we could do the weight math I think you'd be amazed at how little weight gain is made simply by loading up a 997. They start out a bit heavy anyway. If I truly wanted to save weight I would lose 15 lbs myself!

My final list:

997 S Cabriolet 6-speed
98 Non-Metallic Paint to Sample (3AS Blue Turquoise)
06 Natural Leather Brown
CDZ Gear Lever Trim Leather
CUC Painted Model Desig Rear Lid
CUV Storage Cmpt Lid W/Model Logo
CZD Interior Light Cover Leather
M6H Brown Floor Mats
P01L Adaptive Sports Sts Lthr Int
V9 Black Top
XCZ Sport Shifter
XLF Sport Exhaust System
XMP Lthr Sun Visors Lighted Mirror
XMZ Rear Center Console - Leather
XRR 19" Carrera Sport wheel
XSB Sport Seat Backs in Leather
XTV Door Finishers Lthr
267 Self Dimming Mirrors
342 Heated Front Seats
451 Makassar Str Whl Multifctn
446 Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
450 Ceramic Composite Brakes-PCCB
482 TPMS
498 Delete Model Designation
509 Fire Extinguisher
550 Hard Top
640 Sport Chrono Package Plus
672 Extended Nav Module
680 Bose High End Sound Package
692 Remote CD Changer
801 Makassar Package
TD5 Tourist Delivery
Old 05-12-2007 | 11:30 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996toomey
IMO, unless it is a dedicated track car load it up. So much easier to get the options from the factory than to try to add something after the fact if you need or want it.
+1. Bingo Toomey.
Frankly, if someone really wants an almost exclusively track car, splurge and get a GT3. Otherwise, get the options that you know you'll enjoy having every day.
Old 05-12-2007 | 11:38 PM
Dave07997S
Burning Brakes

The only issue of loading up a 997(S) is the options give so little back on resale. You see 2 yr. old low mileage loaded to the hilt 997S's sell for the low 70k range, while a car with very little options sells for very little less. It's the car most people want, and could careless on the options. My 997S is not a stripper but it's equipped rather sparse with just Bose, Nav, and alum. door sills, and black sport manual seats.. I am very happy with my setup...

Dave
Old 05-12-2007 | 11:39 PM
Dave07997S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Edgy01
It was truly the Rennlist forum here that helped me to finalize my order. Looking back I can safely say that I wouldn't change a thing. Of course, loading up a 997 these days is never inexpensive. But with a bit of negotiating skills you can adjust that impact fairly well. With Porsche's production numbers anyone can get good discounts off MSRP without working too hard.

I owned a couple of stripped Porsches years ago. I truly appreciated and appreciate, today, a loaded up one. I like to drive. Mostly back roads and highways. As such, I appreciate all the diversions that come with the options. It helps pass the time. If we could do the weight math I think you'd be amazed at how little weight gain is made simply by loading up a 997. They start out a bit heavy anyway. If I truly wanted to save weight I would lose 15 lbs myself!

My final list:

997 S Cabriolet 6-speed
98 Non-Metallic Paint to Sample (3AS Blue Turquoise)
06 Natural Leather Brown
CDZ Gear Lever Trim Leather
CUC Painted Model Desig Rear Lid
CUV Storage Cmpt Lid W/Model Logo
CZD Interior Light Cover Leather
M6H Brown Floor Mats
P01L Adaptive Sports Sts Lthr Int
V9 Black Top
XCZ Sport Shifter
XLF Sport Exhaust System
XMP Lthr Sun Visors Lighted Mirror
XMZ Rear Center Console - Leather
XRR 19" Carrera Sport wheel
XSB Sport Seat Backs in Leather
XTV Door Finishers Lthr
267 Self Dimming Mirrors
342 Heated Front Seats
451 Makassar Str Whl Multifctn
446 Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
450 Ceramic Composite Brakes-PCCB
482 TPMS
498 Delete Model Designation
509 Fire Extinguisher
550 Hard Top
640 Sport Chrono Package Plus
672 Extended Nav Module
680 Bose High End Sound Package
692 Remote CD Changer
801 Makassar Package
TD5 Tourist Delivery
Man it would have been faster to list the options you didn't get..

Dave
Old 05-12-2007 | 11:53 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Options from what I can tell really do not help much on resale.

Get what YOU want.

Idea #1 base car and put in a much better sound system than Bose for less $$$. Sport chrono (I have this option) is only good if you need seat memory that comes with this package.

Idea#2 get the base car but make it look differnt than all the others with factory colored stiching options, interior colored parts, seat backs painted to match car color and so forth. Done tastefully and that will set you apart from all the others.

Quick Reply: anybody regret buying base c2s only?