Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car wash experts. How long does it take you?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 03:48 PM
RedRocket
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my regular routine consists of 20-30 minute wash including wheels (easier now with the RH AL's than before with the lobsters), dry, and cleaning glass. i do that once a week usually. vacuum out the inside once a month and use zaino leather cleaner and then conditioner on the seats. twice a year i do the whole zaino "show car in a day" routine. recently have been using meguires gold car wash with a really nice mitt, and 100% made in the USA cotton towels to dry.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:35 PM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

Got around the water restrictions today.Washed the car in the pouring rain and had no waterspots after.Something about rainwater i guess.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:32 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

Takes an hour just for the wash. I do it myself. Always. When I do a full detail your looking at about six hours altogether.

Jay
Old 05-28-2007, 07:23 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Washed the RS today...good 2 hours for wash, dry, vacuum, interior wipe down, tire dressing. Most time was spent cleaning the wheels. Gonna try that Dupont cleaner next time. Lots of work, but, WOW she looks good!

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 05-28-2007, 07:43 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

I have been using Mothers All Wheel Cleaner and brake dust comes right off. Also use a wool brush for those hard to reach area.

Old 05-29-2007, 11:47 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

The most time spent is sometimes setting-up your wash equipment to the area.

Anyway, for a well maintained car, you should look into ONR (Optimum No Rinse) wash. Or other no rise wash systems used for RV's. The Optimum works better and results will shock you.

Or, for standard wash, I use two buckets (one for soap filled mitt, other to rinse mitt) and foam gun. To dry, I use a hand-held Toro leaf blower with filter, followed by WW towel for those areas missed. The blower removed the standing water off fast, while the towel will remove any water left over before it has a chance to spot.

You can also get a filtered system so minerals do not spot when drying.

Once set-up, it takes me 1/2 hour for full exterior wash with foam gun and two mitts. If I do ONR, 15 minutes. The rest is cleaning interior of minor dirt.

Look into a sealant that does not attract dust. Also, treat your wheels to a sealant to avoid scrubbing brake dust off. Once treated, foam and rinse off, maybe very light agitation.

Also, invest in the very best mitts. Porsche paint is very soft.

Your previous hand wash vendor normally uses synthetic mitts which can scratch, and think of how many cars they used them on and where! They use the same mitt to wash lower areas of the car, then do the top areas.

There is only one tunnel wash system I know works very well. It's the same one used by MB in Germany and is avalible now in the USA. One vendor has it in his shop (Wesport Wash and Wax). It's the only site that can handle wide wheels, and high-end cars w/o scratches.

Regards,
Deanski
Old 05-30-2007, 02:39 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 233 Likes on 128 Posts

I'm saving a fortune in wheel cleaner with the PCCBs. That has cut my washing time significantly. I'm looking at washing it and such once a week. A couple of hours max. Some waxing on perhaps one panel a week.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:50 AM
mdonline
Instructor

30 minutes using NO RINSE solution.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:58 AM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mdonline
30 minutes using NO RINSE solution.
Same. Do you use Optimum as well?

Quick Reply: Car wash experts. How long does it take you?