Sponsored by:

Effortless and EXPLOSIVE

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 12:27 PM
Jerry Fisher
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Effortless and EXPLOSIVE

With 1800 miles on the clock, I find these 2 terms best to describe the 997S.

Effortless because it has the capability to stop, turn and accelerate giving the driver the outmost confidence in its unparalleled road worthiness.

Explosive-certainly on the street the only limiting factor is sanity or fear of jail time. Even on a relatively green engine (I am semi-respecting the break-in), the upper regions of the tach unleash the beast behind. It actually scared me the first time it "kicked in" but that is a fear any car guy has to love to learn to live with.

The car's bite is intense. I find I have to trust the chassis and not give in to the temptation to turn in. Even on expwy. ramps you have to hang it out there or you will wind up at the "exit" way too early. I definitely need to get back to the track to get the feel.

I wanted a 911 for a long time. A 24 yr old love affair with a 308 and numerous BMWs ( last 2 were M cars) precluded that from happening. The M-3 is gone, the 308 is enjoying semi- retirement in a warmer climate (texas) in the hands of another Ferraristi and I fullfilled my 911 lust.

Am I surprised at the performance envelope. NOT REALLY---but I did underestimate it. My son owns a Boxster S. He just laughs and shake his head when the driives the 997S. "Dad--it rocks. Next time I ask you for the keys, please turn me down". However, I am shocked at how comfortable and confident I am in the car in such a short time,. Its a testamanet to the car and not the driver at this point.

I will always have Ferrari red blood running through my veins. However, IMHO these cars are the most realistic high performance cars you can drive on the street comfortably and on a daily basis. If I only had the space time and money for both.

To me its meancingly beautiful.
I fall into Porsche's brochure demographic. Can't walk away from it w/o looking back.

Now if they could just be a bit more realisitic about their option prices.......

Last edited by Jerry Fisher; 05-04-2007 at 02:53 PM.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:55 PM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like my bowels after a night of hard drinking ;-) Enjoy the car!!
Old 05-04-2007, 01:02 PM
Jerry Fisher
Instructor

sounds like you need the OPTIONAL Imodium dispenser. Check the Porsche design catalog. They are probably listed for about $1800. but that would include OEM leather.
Old 05-04-2007, 01:03 PM
Nine9Sixer
Pro

Originally Posted by blk on blk
Sounds like my bowels after a night of hard drinking ;-) Enjoy the car!!
bwahaha. you forgot some help from Taco Bell. or spicy korean food at 4am.
Old 05-04-2007, 01:18 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

You now need to attend PDE (PSDS), have a really great time and be blown away!

http://www.porschedriving.com

Old 05-04-2007, 01:42 PM
Jerry Fisher
Instructor

sounds like a plan. Still recovering from the fact that I wrote a check for that much $$ w/o even stopping to think about it. PS... sell the 308 and M-3 and buy the Carrera started on a Sunday morning when I lost my 308 storage garage. I drove the 997s home 48 hours later.

so much for due diligence and fiscal responsibility...still worth it.

eating taco bell--not worth it.
Old 05-04-2007, 02:31 PM
dD/dt
Racer

Is this with or without the power kit?
Old 05-04-2007, 02:41 PM
Jerry Fisher
Instructor

w/o power kit. Basic 997 S. Power seats, prem radio, sport design wheels w/ spacers.

I assume you are asking about the car and not a SUPER SIZED TACO BELL DINNER....
Old 05-04-2007, 02:55 PM
dD/dt
Racer

Originally Posted by Jerry Fisher
w/o power kit. Basic 997 S. Power seats, prem radio, sport design wheels w/ spacers.

I assume you are asking about the car and not a SUPER SIZED TACO BELL DINNER....
The car. But the Taco Bell question would rhyme with "power kit."
Old 05-04-2007, 03:09 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jerry,

Welcome aboard!

This thread is useless without pictures.
Old 05-04-2007, 03:15 PM
Jerry Fisher
Instructor

pic in avatar. How do I post BIGGER pics?
Old 05-04-2007, 03:50 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OCBen's suggestion worked well. Here it is:

"If you're using windows, there is no easier and better pic resizing tool than the freebie, Microsoft Paint.

1. Right mouse click the file and select Open with Microsoft Paint.

2. Click on Image and select Stretch/Skew from the menu.

3. In the Stretch box just select the percentage reduction you want. Just make sure Horizontal & Vertical values are the same.

4. If the amount is not right, just Undo (Cntrl Z) and select again.

5. Do a File Save As with a different name to preserve your original file."
Old 05-04-2007, 05:44 PM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

So, Jerry... if you think it's "explosive" now - wait until 4k miles... and 6k miles or so.

I experienced multiple changes in the 3.8's personality around those mileage markers. The engine seems to loosen up in terms of it's ability to rev freely, and, of course - all of the other "systems" also wear in and become much smoother.

The car was really tight initially, and it seemed just a bit reluctant during the first 2,000 miles. Part of that may have been me - I was a bit wary breaking the toy that I'd just dropped 90-large on! - but I now realize that the evolution that's occured over the last 7,300 miles is normal and expected.

Around 4k, I took my son for a ride (first time he'd been in the car in a couple of hundred miles) and he asked if I'd either installed a new exhaust system, or left the window open. He said that the car "sounded" more aggressive, more "willing". Not a bad observation for a 14-year old.

Again, near 6k, everything seemed to come together. Granted, I was becoming a more experienced with the vehicle - but it just seemed that the car was "coming together" on its own. There are a lot of precision mechanical parts in any car that need to "find their equilibrium states" as they wear-in / lap-in under break-in, but I've never owned a car that matured quite this markedly before I purchased the 997.

And you're right - it's a constant experience. Effortless at any speed. Completely comfortable in 2nd gear at 30 mph; dramatically stable at triple digits. The midrange power of the 3.8 motor is awesome (compared to Type 964 and 993 normally-aspirated cars that I've driven in the past). This car lopes along like a Honda Civil, and turns into HondaJet with a simple right foot prodding. Basically unreal, and I don't think that anything else out there can compare.

A good friend owns a F355 Berlinetta. It is a spectacular car, and a car that I'd definitely like to own if I could keep the Porsche... but knowing that I can only have one "fun" car makes the choice quite simple.

I guess I need to put the battery tender on the BMW. It hasn't moved in three weeks. :-)

Enjoy, Jerry. It only gets better with time. Next project: PDE!

-don
Old 05-04-2007, 05:47 PM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

Oh, and did I mention the brakes? Everybody who rides in my car comments on the brakes... and I'm always wary of cell-phone-jabbering SUV drivers behind me. I know that I can stop completely from 60 mph before they even touch the pedal.
Old 05-05-2007, 12:54 AM
Jerry Fisher
Instructor

Don..I am also in chgo are. northern suburbs.

I think you hit my exact feelings right on the head. I am sure it will get stronger and I will get more comfortable pushing the envelope. I did alot of tracking with the 308 before the local Ferrari club became too social and less about cars.. I just have not done it for a long time. I need to get back on the track and get a dose of the red mist and a chance to experience this car where it belongs.

Quick Reply: Effortless and EXPLOSIVE