Sponsored by:

Why to NOT lower PASM cars

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 05:21 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Why to NOT lower PASM cars

I was looking into options to enhance the track performance of my 997S. I asked Farnbacher Loles about lowering springs, PSS9s for PASM, GT3 Cup control arms for more camber, etc.

I heard of PASM failures before when people used lowering springs and was very interested when FBL wrote about my 997S with PASM:

I do not recommend the lowering springs, as the oem shocks are not valved for the shortened spring and will blow out over time.

Thought the collective would be interested in this opinion...
Old 05-02-2007, 05:40 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Same as any other shock, no?
Old 05-02-2007, 05:41 PM
Nine9Sixer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

isn't this the normal, std rationale for not installing lowering springs with oem shocks, regardless of car and pasm?
Old 05-02-2007, 05:44 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I suppose it is, but so many 997S owners are buying lowering springs that are supposedly "for PASM" and I thought they might benefit from this opinion. I don't know enough about suspensions to know if it applied to PASM cars vs. other cars...
Old 05-02-2007, 05:59 PM
PAULSPEED
Pro

Hi,
My friend has H & R springs and his struts have
not blown out yet. Any idea how long it
takes to blow out the struts?
Paul
Old 05-02-2007, 06:12 PM
frafoss
Instructor

There are some reports about broken struts after lowering. But if it's only the new springs fault is or some other reason isn't totally confirmed. However, the the suspension travel is reduced when lowering, so you will get a higher tension on a smaller area than original.

My car is now lowered with Techart's with 15mm. Since my car is moderate lowered I think the tension is less than if I mounted the H&R with 25 mm. Anyway, my garantee expire the end of this month, and either way when the suspension is finished I will install the PASM compatible PSS9.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:25 PM
oalvarez
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

aren't pss9's full coilover systems?
Old 05-02-2007, 08:07 PM
PAULSPEED
Pro

Originally Posted by oalvarez
aren't pss9's full coilover systems?
Yes and they are expensive parts.
Paul
Old 05-02-2007, 08:59 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

This has never been discussed before. Ever.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:05 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RonCT
I was looking into options to enhance the track performance of my 997S. I asked Farnbacher Loles about lowering springs, PSS9s for PASM, GT3 Cup control arms for more camber, etc.

I heard of PASM failures before when people used lowering springs and was very interested when FBL wrote about my 997S with PASM:

I do not recommend the lowering springs, as the oem shocks are not valved for the shortened spring and will blow out over time.

I would only agree with this statement as it pertains to moderate to serious track use at which point (with or without the lowering springs) standard issue PASM on the non GT cars is not going to last under heavy track use for very long anyway. At that point, a change to coilovers would be the ideal solution whereas most owners of PASM cars with lowering springs won't see the kind of stress such that "blow out's" should be of concern. That said, we endorse the Techart PASM compatible sport springs made by Eibach to TA spec) for the very reason that they are slightly longer and not as agressive as the H&R's.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:06 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

When (if?) the shocks go because of the springs, I'll get the PSS9 for PASM and be done w/it. No biggy...
Old 05-02-2007, 09:53 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RonCT

Yep, that's what I unnderstand as well. Due to the spring rate, the shock itself is really not at fault, but all the sensors and the computer "driving" the shock. All this makes the shock react differently. It may be trying to over-compensate or correct itself. So, the valve that is controlled by the computer finally locks at sport and will not return to normal. It's as if the computer burned the valve but it just goes into failover. If this was a normal shock, no harm done with springs.

Deanski
Old 05-02-2007, 10:08 PM
RedRocket
Instructor

this topic has been discussed ad nauseum on this and other boards. tracking your car will wear out the OEM suspension faster than road use too. Does that mean you shouldnt track or AX? iOne or two posts of people with blown shocks isnt an accurate representation of outcome from lowering with aftermarket springs. I have several friends who track and AX that have screwed up their stock suspensions long before they should have gone out. solution....new coilovers. not trying to be argumentative, but it seems like this keeps coming up.

if you dont want to drop....dont do it. modding sometimes requires taking risks.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:41 PM
tkarwin
Intermediate

Mod at your own risk. Do it once, do it right.... (insert other phrases here)
Old 05-02-2007, 10:54 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PAULSPEED
Yes and they are expensive parts.
Paul
The B-16, PSS9's for PASM for 997S's, are $ 2,500. + installation...

Quick Reply: Why to NOT lower PASM cars