Sponsored by:

Why to NOT lower PASM cars

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 10:58 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
When (if?) the shocks go because of the springs, I'll get the PSS9 for PASM and be done w/it. No biggy...
Another option would be to send them to Bilstein in So Cal and have them revaled. You could just wait until they act up, or send them to Bilstein and install the H & R springs simultaneously. Their rebuild charge is reasonable, about $150. per shock IIRC....
Old 05-02-2007, 11:06 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Many apologies for bringing this subject up. I've only been on the boards for a couple of years and never saw this subject covered before and thought people might be interested in the opinion of a trusted Porsche shop. If a moderator is watching, please erase this thread.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:30 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Ron,

A mod is watching but why erase the thread. I see useful info here certainly enough to make folks think twice about using aggressive lowering springs. Contrary to one man's opinion I don't recall seeing much info about PASM and lowering springs. Certainly not with th authority of Farnbacher Loles.

By the way, I believe that if you edit your first post and delete it the whole thread goes away. You can do that without being a mod.

Best,
Old 05-03-2007, 12:34 AM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

No need to erase the thread, I believe this is the first time someone used such harsh and sweeping language about H&R springs and PASM. I'm not sure what it means for OEM shocks to "blow out" over time. Did the Farnbacher guy elaborate?

I mean, worst-case scenario, some warning light comes on and/or the shock loses damping. It's not like we'll have an explosion (although this did happen with nitrogen shocks I once ran, but that's another story) and the car will go careening into a guardrail. At least that's my opinion.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:23 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 222 Likes on 111 Posts

You gotta pay to play.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:18 AM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Another option would be to send them to Bilstein in So Cal and have them revaled. You could just wait until they act up, or send them to Bilstein and install the H & R springs simultaneously. Their rebuild charge is reasonable, about $150. per shock IIRC....
I'll probably look into that AND get the PSS9s... It wouldn't hurt to have the originals rebuilt and waiting. I kept the stock springs as well.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:36 AM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
You gotta pay to play.
Exactly.

I don't think anyone who lowers their car magically expects the dampers to last 100,000 miles. Of course, I do find it entertaining that people who own 90,000 dollar cars and drive them 5000 miles per year fret over a set of shocks.

I don't put much stock in anecdotal evidence, even my own, but I will say that my overall experience with springs has been positive. This is the first car that felt right on only aftermarket springs, perhaps due to the adaptive nature of the PASM dampers, and I can gladly say that handling has not appeared to suffer nor has the ride. I also have put over 10,000 miles on my car with the H&R springs which is far more than even I myself expected the dampers to last.

But ultimately, when you modifiy your car, you have to expect the worse. Some people have not been as lucky as I have (I seem to recall Flyin Low being the first to have a PASM failure as a result of the springs). Modify at your own discretion.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:38 AM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
I'll probably look into that AND get the PSS9s... It wouldn't hurt to have the originals rebuilt and waiting. I kept the stock springs as well.
I'm suprised Bilstein didn't develop an aftermarket PASM shock to compliment lowering springs. Perhaps somebody will...
Old 05-03-2007, 08:52 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Guys, I was trying to be funny / sarcastic about deleting the thread. I was pushing back to the comment that this has been rehashed so many times - I had never heard it debated (started here October 2004).

As to did FBL elaborate - I copied verbatim what was emailed to me. I wasn't interested in knowing more because of the opinion and past reports of lowered PASM cars blowing shocks out and the owner faced with say $5k for replacement.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:39 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBonus
I'm suprised Bilstein didn't develop an aftermarket PASM shock to compliment lowering springs. Perhaps somebody will...
Ian I think they would rather sell you their new B-16 Damptronics....

I too enjoy the ride and handling characteristics of my H & R springs. I don't particularily like them in the Sport mode though, too bumpy with not enough dampening....
Old 05-03-2007, 10:37 AM
edwardschmedward
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the PSS9's for PASM, and am very happy with them.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:43 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MrBonus
The new PSS9s are compatible with PASM. Fabryce @ GMG said they are just a little firmer than stock in both settings (i.e. normal PSS9 > normal OEM, sport PSS9 > sport OEM).

I am like Ian regarding the H&R mods. I have had great luck (5K miles on the springs so far) and they are also on my A3 now. To validate my impressions from the 911, the ride on the A3 is just a comfy as it was before, but now the turn-in is NICE.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:29 PM
jjporsch43
Instructor

Have been runnning H&R's for almost two years-no issues-have xcrossed and run some track type events. Apx. 6k on lowering setup.

John J
SA Texas
05 C2S
Full AWE
Evo Intake
B&M Shifter
P5 Wheels
Old 05-03-2007, 09:44 PM
RedRocket
Instructor

ok...maybe ad nauseum was a little strong for PASM and spring compatibility specifically, but i have seen multiple threads on the subject of whether to lower or not to lower...if you search they are everywhere. specifically with PASM suspension...maybe not quite as common but here are a few fairly recent ones.....

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...t=PASM+springs

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...=PASM+lowering

I dont limit my browsing to the 997 forum and so maybe i have just seen more because they are discussing the same things in other areas of RennList.

Ron...dont take this personally, but you have poo poo'd lowering springs before...

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/s...t=PASM+springs

but then you have also said they seem a good idea on street but not on track...

to be completely honest, i guess i have just seen alot of your posts in regards to springs.....here and on "the other" porsche forum.

I realize you dont know me, and i am not trying to be a di_ _. I have dropped 3 of my last four cars, never had any problems. I just get tired of seeing the "springs hurt your car" threads over and over.

to each his own....sorry if the tone in my first post was offensive. peace.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:21 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Hey, no problem here - I was trying to be funny. If you've read any of my replies you'll see I do the same thing - like "well, if you try a search you'll find so many posts on what Sport Chrono (or fill in the blank with another subject) does..."

Quick Reply: Why to NOT lower PASM cars