Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daily Driver or Weekend Toy

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 12:37 AM
blueillusion97
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about this....You sell your boxster cheap to me....and keep 997 as daily diriver, so it could do what it was born to do!

PS: I'm serious
Old 04-19-2007, 12:40 AM
DerivativesGuy
Instructor

Originally Posted by blueillusion97
How about this....You sell your boxster cheap to me....and keep 997 as daily diriver, so it could do what it was born to do!

PS: I'm serious
define cheap
Old 04-19-2007, 12:43 AM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Monday, Wednesday and Friday - 997
Tuesday and Thursday - 300C SRT8
Saturday and Sunday - R500
Old 04-19-2007, 12:53 AM
blueillusion97
Racer

Originally Posted by DerivativesGuy
define cheap
Im looking for a car to eventualy become a track car...so i was looking for 99-97 boxster cuz they are cheap and with some effort its possible to find one for about $12grand.....but im sure you can get quite more for your newer boxster
Old 04-19-2007, 01:04 AM
DerivativesGuy
Instructor

Originally Posted by blueillusion97
Im looking for a car to eventualy become a track car...so i was looking for 99-97 boxster cuz they are cheap and with some effort its possible to find one for about $12grand.....but im sure you can get quite more for your newer boxster
bmw dealer is offering me 12k for the car in trade. i should be able to get 15 or 16 at trade.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:06 AM
oalvarez
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

did you try searching using "daily driver"? there are many posts written on this very topic! heavens forbid that you didn't do a search!!! that's what the search function is for in the event that you didn't know. sheesh!!!!

would you like me to provide all of the links on the topic so not to create work that has already been done? i'd be more than glad to!

NOT!

ok, i've had my fun....in all seriousness, i love the idea of a porsche as a daily driver as long as it suits your needs and are ok with putting that many miles on it for commuting purposes solely. how about a sports sedan (rs4, c63 coming soon)? if you like the idea of a SUV give the Rover Sport a try, they're a lot of fun and comfortable to boot.

whatever works best for you.

regards
Old 04-19-2007, 01:11 AM
Sharptt
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my new 997 for a daily driver but is not the car I'd want to drive in and out of Manhattan. Born and raised in NJ I spent many years commuting in and out of NYC, but I would not enjoy my 997 on that drive, plus the parking situation is an additional problem. I think an X5 or even an X3 would be a better choice. I'd even consider a mini cooper.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:15 AM
ChipAZ
Pro

The Jeep is great and they are getting more refined all the time. This has ESP, Traction control and will climb a rock wall. I'm way far away from the only Porsche dealer in the state and use the Jeep to rack up the local miles on. Anyone can work on them. My Cayenne is competent at the off roading thing but I don't want to tear it up.

You just don't want to go very fast around corners or do anything very fast. I don't know if I'd want it as a daily commute car if I was back east. But for around here its just what the doctor ordered.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:18 AM
malammik
Racer

Are you going to be able to enjoy the car as DD based on your commute? If you going to be sitting in traffic, catching potholes, picking up dents in parking then it is not worth it. The guy I bought the car from drove it 50mi every day when weather was good down nice country roads. I still have my beater car for short trips, bad highways, trips to the airport, etc. Other than that, I use p-car whenever I can even to go to work if I know I will be visiting a client where the ride is worth it. If you commute to manhattan, I would put mini on my list. Great fun little cars. OCBen can tell you all about it.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:24 AM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

BMW is not really a "sports car" company. Anyway leaning toward the wagon anyway.
My Cayenne S is typically my daily driver and the 997S cab gets duty every weekend and every sunny weekday.

I'm not sure what you have against the Cayenne--have you driven it? I often have as much fun driving my Cayenne as my 997--seriously. I am moving up to the Cayenne Turbo shortly--nearly as fast as the 997, but can haul around the kids, run those Home Depot errands, easily get you through any Wisconsin blizzard, etc., all while driving a Porsche. You clearly cannot make those same claims of a BMW wagon. I would check it out--you could even pick up a "beater" 2004 Cayenne Turbo for about $50,000.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:44 AM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

mine is a DD
Old 04-19-2007, 03:07 AM
sdw999
Instructor

Rome - Not a huge fan of the Cayenne. Porsche is about sports cars not SUVs. I dont order burgers at KFC either.
The last time I was at the dealer they gave me a Cayenne S to drive while I had my radar installed, and I was quite surprized at how much I liked it. In fact, the whole way home I had no idea I was driving an S (I wasn't paying attention when I left my dealer, I was too enamored with the GT3s they had there), but I thought the engine was a bit more aggressive sounding and the power seemed better than the regular non S they had given me before. Unless you really hate the looks, the Cayenne S, or turbo might be worth a test drive, or two. My 997C2S is my one and only drive and I have put it through sleet, heavy snow and brutal cold all winter, and it performed flawlessly.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:52 AM
Mike R.
Advanced

I enjoy driving my 997S on weekends and occasionally throughout the week, but I keep it out of Manhattan b/c of the parking situation. Have you looked at any Audis? I love my S4 as a DD.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:20 AM
dndodd
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Second on the Audi's. I will be getting an A3 as a DD. My wife has an S4 and I actually like the A3 better.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:45 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

GREAT Road Trip Cars

Quick Reply: Daily Driver or Weekend Toy