Sponsored by:

Porsche Driving Experience

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 11:12 AM
kennygoodboy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dstrimbu
Kenny, did you get a chance to visit the Barber museum? It looks spectacular...
Unfortunately no. We had an earlier flight (tough trying to coordinate flights from Birmingham to Chicago and Detroit) so we missed it. Guess I will have to go the Masters program now!
Old 10-12-2007, 11:15 AM
kennygoodboy
Instructor

Originally Posted by DMB14
Do you have to be a fairly good driver to go to these things? I want to learn how to drive my car like it was built to be driven, but I don't even know where to begin.
I echo Colm's comments. My brother had never even driven a Porsche before (except for mine once or twice) and was fine. There is every range of gender and age (they claim the best autocross time at one event was from an 80 year old woman). They start slow and let YOU build up your pace to how comfortable you are. They will put you in a group based on prior experience so your peers (4 to a group) will have similar skills. And if you learn quickly, you can also move up. I think this is best school for beginners (not that I have much to compare it to)
Old 10-12-2007, 04:31 PM
nerual
Intermediate

Anyone know if the women only classes are any different? Is it exactly the same curriculum as the regular class, but only women participate, or is it a different class entirely?
Old 10-12-2007, 07:22 PM
ChipAZ
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. No need to downshift when stopping a manual car. This used to be necessary in the past when automobile brakes were poor. The quality of the brakes in today's cars obviate the need to utilize engine braking. Engine braking creates needless stress on the transmission.

I really don't agree with that. The thing that my old man taught me back in 60's in those 911's was using the gears for control. He used to demonstrate that you could use the gears to maintain more control on snow if you match the RPM's with the wheel speed so their was no slipping. This was way before ABS brakes. His theory that using the gears for engine breaking was a hell of a lot safer going down a steep grade than pumping the brakes on ice. In fact at the age of 16 I had to show him I could that before he would turn me lose with his 911S. Which had very good brakes for the time.

Quick Reply: Porsche Driving Experience