Sponsored by:

996TT 18" wheels on a 997 Widebody

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 12:25 PM
Sharptt
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 996TT 18" wheels on a 997 Widebody

Does anyone know if turbo twist wheels from a 996TT will fit on a 997 widebody car? I have a set of rims left over from my previous turbo that I had kept in the hopes of mounting snows on my new 997. But my dealer tells me that even with spacers they will not work and the 997 rims are different and obviously wants to sell me new rims for my snows.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:25 PM
Paul S.
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 51 Posts

Just a suggestion--the offset is stamped on the inside of the rims (on one of the spokes). Compare that number from your 997 wheels to the ones on the 996 Turbo wheels, to start. If the offsets are the same and the only difference is diameter (18's from the turbo, 19's if you have a 997 S) they should fit.

I never tried it with mine (I was in your situation exactly but have sold my 996 hollow spokes that I had used as track wheels with my turbo), but I believe if you have the stock brakes (not PCCB), I don't think you'll have a fit problem.

If you have a floor jack at home, it would be pretty easy to check for yourself. You might also try talking with Wheel Enhancements, out of California. They are fairly knowledgeable about which wheels fit which.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:24 PM
Sharptt
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Paul S.
Just a suggestion--the offset is stamped on the inside of the rims (on one of the spokes). Compare that number from your 997 wheels to the ones on the 996 Turbo wheels, to start. If the offsets are the same and the only difference is diameter (18's from the turbo, 19's if you have a 997 S) they should fit.

I never tried it with mine (I was in your situation exactly but have sold my 996 hollow spokes that I had used as track wheels with my turbo), but I believe if you have the stock brakes (not PCCB), I don't think you'll have a fit problem.

If you have a floor jack at home, it would be pretty easy to check for yourself. You might also try talking with Wheel Enhancements, out of California. They are fairly knowledgeable about which wheels fit which.
Offsets are a bit different but nothing drastic. I mounted one rear wheel and it seemed OK to me but without a tire it's hard to tell. My Porsche tech tells me they will not work and the other problem is that the Tire Rack feels the widest 18" snow will not fit on an 11" wide rim.
I really try not to call places like Wheel Enhancements and pick their brain unless I am 90+% sure I am going to buy from them. In this case I will most likely get my snows from the Tire Rack and either use my old wheels or buy a set off of ebay.
But thanks for the super advice.

Quick Reply: 996TT 18" wheels on a 997 Widebody