Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like a wonderful time....
Old 04-15-2007, 12:06 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kw_1055
I know that you have done many PDE's. My question is how much more do you learn from that compare to DE classes with the PCA etc.?
Also, can you jump to Masters if you have done many DE but not the PDE before?
Thanks.
The biggest difference is that PDE instructors know how to drive and instruct as well.
At PCA DE's it's a crapshoot as to the level and ability to to properly instruct. How often do PCA instructors drive? Driving is not their full time occupation but a hobby.

Driving is a skill that is acquired over time putting in seat time...the more I do it, the less I find that I know. I'm learning now that the middle pedal IS the hardest to master.
Speed comes with time and is somthig that you really cannot force.
I remember my first PDE in 2002, I was scared to death, my hands had a death grip on the wheel. Today I'm fairly relaxed behind the wheel and my hands have a light touch upon the wheel.

There is a reason for first time attendees to do the first High Perf class, and that is to have a level benchmark for instruction. Sit back, enjoy the program, you will come away learning alot. Some of the worst PDE students are "instructors" that have practiced and developed 'bad' habits over time.

My advice is that every Porsche qwner should attend PDE...

Old 04-16-2007, 12:00 AM
grizbo
3rd Gear

It was a great experience---nothing but hard core driving for two days in March. About the fastest you can go on the straightaway is 105 because the track is pretty curvy. I was amazed at how hard the pros hit the brakes just before a turn. The course will end up very expensive for me cause I'm on the list for a TT and my wife wants to go now. There was a guy in my group with only one leg who kept the pack pretty slow---and said he's a drummer. How does that work? Go figure!
Old 04-16-2007, 10:39 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by grizbo
It was a great experience---nothing but hard core driving for two days in March. About the fastest you can go on the straightaway is 105 because the track is pretty curvy. I was amazed at how hard the pros hit the brakes just before a turn. The course will end up very expensive for me cause I'm on the list for a TT and my wife wants to go now. There was a guy in my group with only one leg who kept the pack pretty slow---and said he's a drummer. How does that work? Go figure!

HA HA you're pretty funny! My pack was pretty fast as we kept catching the other packs of cars....funny! Who were you? Are you sure you were there because I did not see anyone in a TT or a TT at the school! Go figure!
Where were you at the final lapping that day? huh? Peter took me out for solo laps behind him because the group was holding us up. Everyone was either ill with motion sickness or too tired to go. Go figure!
Old 04-21-2007, 07:57 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts
Talking

Yo Griz.... you got nothing to say! I am signing up for the master class and am pretty open with the dates. Why don't you sign up for the same date and we will see who is what...they do the autox time trials! I talked to one of the PDE instructors and he said for me to tell you to bring it on...his money is one me! see ya poser!
Old 04-21-2007, 11:18 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 439 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Yo Griz.... you got nothing to say! I am signing up for the master class and am pretty open with the dates. Why don't you sign up for the same date and we will see who is what...they do the autox time trials! I talked to one of the PDE instructors and he said for me to tell you to bring it on...his money is one me! see ya poser!
I think grizbo's Rennlist career has come to a sudden stop.
What a douche bag.
See Ya Jizbo.
Old 04-22-2007, 10:29 AM
RedBaron4
Track Day

Default Thanks for the report!

I've registered for the class in mid-July. (It should be nice and hot in Alabama in mid-July). Can't wait.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:06 PM
mikey175
Racer

RedBaron --

I'll see you there! I signed up about a month ago for the two day PDE 7/10-11...can't wait!

-- M
Old 04-25-2007, 04:41 PM
Bullet
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dr. G
Did they mention double clutching when downshifting? Even with sychros in my previous cars I found that double clutching allowed me to get into a lower gear in a much smoother manner.
That doesn't make any sense to me.

The optimal way to handle deceleration such that you are most ready for the next acceleration is to heel and toe downshift and that does not involve double clutching - just blipping the throttle to match wheel speed at the same time that one is braking.

Double clutching is a good way to practice throttle blipping for beginners, but it is overkill and not needed apart from practice or as an exercise.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:56 PM
RaceCarDriver
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dr. G
Did they mention double clutching when downshifting? Even with sychros in my previous cars I found that double clutching allowed me to get into a lower gear in a much smoother manner.
agreed. I double-clutch all the time.

Of course it's not necessary, but makes shifting like a knife thru butter
Old 04-25-2007, 05:54 PM
John NY-Naples
Racer

The instructors did not discuss double clutching. The focus was on blipping the throttle by "heel-toe" to match the rpm when braking hard and downshifting to come out of a turn at peak speed. RedBaron and mikey, you'll have a great time at the school. Enjoy.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:28 PM
kennygoodboy
Instructor

I thought I would add on here some random thoughts to a previous thread about my PSDS experience this week. As John mentioned, I learned a variety of skills. I attended one prior PCS sponsored DE event and I thought my instructor was awful but even more so now after attending PSDS. Daniel was my favorite instructor, he would almost literally hypnotize us while leading us on the track “niiiice and eeeeeeeasy….you are relaaaaaaxed and feeeeeling good….” which made everyone less tense and drive much better because we weren’t “white knuckling” the steering wheel. Also, I thought it was interesting that when I did the DE, we had to have our windows down (which was annoying because of the dust but I thought it was for safety reasons) but at PSDS we rode windows up and a/c full blast. Daniel’s comment was that its much safer to be comfortable than having the windows down (and he said it won’t really hamper performance). Right or wrong, it was much more enjoyable. On the straights, made it up to 110 or so, our group was fairly quick (or most likely others were slow) so we passed the other groups on the track (even the group using the C2S). However, it was much more thrilling hitting 80+ through the S turn…now that was fun. Speaking of C2S, didn’t really notice the difference in the brakes…so essentially my numb feel for the car saved me $9k on my next purchase. I knew my poor skills would be good for something. We dominated the skidpad as we are all from the snowbelt. Autocross was fun, I managed to get 2nd place individually (won a t-shirt!) but our team finished 3rd due to our pit times. Damn. I was declared the worst heel toe shifter by an unnamed instructor…and I thought he was shooting high. The framed certificate at the end was a nice touch. More importantly, I made some good friendships. I took my brother there for his 30th birthday and we were paired with a couple of urologists from Michigan. Let me tell you something - there is nothing funnier than a pair of urologists at dinner. Great guys. All in all, I would highly recommend it to any new Porsche owner who wants to gain some very important basic skills.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:16 PM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

Kenny, did you get a chance to visit the Barber museum? It looks spectacular...
Old 10-11-2007, 10:11 PM
DMB14
Racer

Do you have to be a fairly good driver to go to these things? I want to learn how to drive my car like it was built to be driven, but I don't even know where to begin.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:44 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DMB14
Do you have to be a fairly good driver to go to these things? I want to learn how to drive my car like it was built to be driven, but I don't even know where to begin.
No, the more humble you are (the less you think you know) the more recepitive you are to new information.

The program starts from the basics and builds on those fundamentals through repetition. It is a great place to start and gives you the essentials to measure (and discern) the quality of information others give you.

A great place to start or to advance.

Quick Reply: Porsche Driving Experience