Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC stopped working; dealer says condenser needs to be replaced on my dime.

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 02:35 PM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

God forbid i should go off topic but i must tell tell you my schnauzer barked at my pile of dirty clothes last night cause of the neighbors dog scent!
Old 06-19-2007, 04:53 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by ddub
Does this sound like the same problem that Alan Smithee had?!?
I rarely use AC; whatever punctured my condensor did it when the system was off...no drama as you described. I went to use it one day and it didn't blow cold air...
Old 06-19-2007, 09:34 PM
ddub
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks for the response!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddub
Does this sound like the same problem that Alan Smithee had?!?

I rarely use AC; whatever punctured my condensor did it when the system was off...no drama as you described. I went to use it one day and it didn't blow cold air...

Thanks, I'll see what the service guys say...
Old 06-19-2007, 09:47 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by MichaelL
I just had the Cargraphic screens put on. The radiators picked up quite a bit of trash. The screens look good, but $20 worth of expanded metal mesh was $300. The bumper cover has to come off for the install.
There's an opportunity for some 3rd party vendor to sell DIY snap on grills. Everybody should have them.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:55 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
Yes it is.

Any screen in place would restrict the air mass flow rate. A reduction in the air mass flow rate means less cooling of the condenser which leads to inefficient and ineffective operation of the A/C, requiring the A/C compressor to work harder (possibly running continuously) to provide the same amount of cooling as before, thus syphoning away available horsepower from the engine that could be better used in powering the drive wheels.

One option is to make the condenser (or radiator) bigger to compensate for the loss of air mass flow rate that a screen will produce. This then will obviously add to the weight of the car.

It's all about making the right compromises to arrive at an optimum design solution.
I agree with all that. However... PAG is the dog house when they sell a bra with fairly tight grill meshes... I suspect that PAG's design is over-engineered and will take that into account.

Quick Reply: AC stopped working; dealer says condenser needs to be replaced on my dime.