Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC stopped working; dealer says condenser needs to be replaced on my dime.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 08:48 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by gravedgr
Leadership is not determined by the number of posts you make, or the number of people you verbally beat down. Ben (sometimes) has great information, but has a long way to go on delivery.
I have never claimed to be a leader here, nor do I wish to live up to your or anybody else's expectations of such.

I do what I can to help as much as I can. I don't coddle individuals nor do I treat them as babies. I speak my mind, just as anybody else here has a right to do. Some people like it and a small minority don't. You just can't please everyone, that's all.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:49 PM
DerivativesGuy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
I have never claimed to be a leader here, nor do I wish to live up to your or anybody else's expectations of such.
Well said OC. Modesty is a halmark of leadership
Old 04-05-2007, 08:51 PM
John Velasco
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just fell into this discussion. If the mesh is so restrictive how come we can buy a factory mesh screen that they use on the cup cars and with that you say the cup cars have air flow problems? It’s just a thought.

jv
Old 04-05-2007, 08:52 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 424 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by DerivativesGuy
OC was very welcoming when i joined this board and from what i can tell he is providing mass quantities of useful information to his fellow members. Sometimes leaders need to be stern and often they come across as "know it alls" but often times it is because they do know more than most of us.
I have never known a "leader" who needed to talk down to people on a regular basis. I have known many "know-it-alls" who do. I'm not downplaying Ben's knowledge - he's rarely technically wrong - but it's not all about knowledge. (Sorry to discuss you in your presence, Ben. )

http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/Depart...=WhatIsaLeader
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leadership

EDIT:
Originally Posted by OCBen

I do what I can to help as much as I can. I don't coddle individuals nor do I treat them as babies. I speak my mind, just as anybody else here has a right to do. Some people like and a small minority don't. You just can't please everyone, that's all.
My point - I didn't think the title applied, and I didn't think you would claim it either.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:57 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by John Velasco
I just fell into this discussion. If the mesh is so restrictive how come we can buy a factory mesh screen that they use on the cup cars and with that you say the cup cars have air flow problems? It’s just a thought.

jv
See Post #14. It's all about compromises.

A wing increases aerodynamic drag, yet provides needed downforce to keep the rear end planted. You trade one thing against another to arrive at an optimum solution for your particular need.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:00 PM
John Velasco
Burning Brakes

Just give me the protection and I will be happy to sweat.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:02 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by gravedgr
Sorry to discuss you in your presence, Ben.
No problem, Doug.

Old 04-05-2007, 09:03 PM
John Velasco
Burning Brakes

I just went back and read "14" and I still say the factory has a part number for mesh. It is the same that they use on the cup cars (arrow kit only) and they seem to win many races with a very little overheating.

jv
Old 04-05-2007, 09:04 PM
John Velasco
Burning Brakes

I think it is a Porsche motor sport number.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:09 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by John Velasco
I just went back and read "14" and I still say the factory has a part number for mesh. It is the same that they use on the cup cars (arrow kit only) and they seem to win many races with a very little overheating.
Those are probably not stock heat exchangers in the cup cars either.

Like I said, you increase the size of the heat exchangers to compensate for the protective screens, this adds some weight to the car, which can be shed in other areas that are not important for a cup race car.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:18 PM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

...and I doubt that the Cup cars are air-conditioned - at least not by a reverse Rankine-cycle machine that requires a heat-exchanger. <g>
Old 04-05-2007, 09:20 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by dstrimbu
...and I doubt that the Cup cars are air-conditioned - at least not by a reverse Rankine-cycle machine that requires a heat-exchanger. <g>
Alright Don, glad you could pitch in.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:25 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 99firehawk
I see it fairly often , the condesors are low and open to the road, all it takes is one rock with some velocity to it and it will damage a condensor. Chances are they are being honest with you and theres no way warrenty will cover a damaged condensor
If the dealers do see it "fairly often" as Brad says, this sounds like a design defect to me. You'd think they could solve this somehow.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:35 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

no the defect is that the driver is tailgateing not that porsche didnt provide protecion for tailgating drivers
Old 04-06-2007, 02:47 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

I beg to differ, and I agree with rome above...I've been driving Porsches for 20 years and have not had anything more significant from road debris than rock chips.

I've never heard of anybody having to spend $1,500 to repair damage from an imperceptible impact.

Quick Reply: AC stopped working; dealer says condenser needs to be replaced on my dime.