Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC stopped working; dealer says condenser needs to be replaced on my dime.

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 03:21 PM
Tracym
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OCBen
Generalist
Rennlist Member

Sorry guys,

OCBEN just informed me that I am not supposed to post the Nasty Grams that he keeps sending me. I want to stay within the guidelines of the forum.

BTW, is attacking someone who does not agree with you via PM SOP around here and condoned?

Last edited by Tracym; 04-25-2007 at 12:00 AM.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:14 AM
Felcher997s
Intermediate

While driving my 05 997S through West Texas last week on the way to California, I caught a rock or some projectile that smacked my Ac condenser. I ended up with a hole and all of the R134 gone as it had leaked out. Took the car to the dealer in Tuscon, Az and got ithe condenser replaced. No warranty either. It could have easily been the radiator instead. It's a lousy place for the Ac condenser or radiator. The condenser costs $492 and then labor takes it up to about $950 or so. Should have been warranty based on crap location on the car. Oh well...claimed it on the insurance along with the pitted paint in front & the pitted windsheild. All in all it was a great trip anyway.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:25 AM
John Velasco
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

post away...
Old 04-25-2007, 03:45 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Tracym
BTW, is attacking someone who does not agree with you via PM SOP around here and condoned?
Unfortunately the Rennlist charter says, "no private communications can be posted publicly, without the permission of the party that send you that private e-mail/message" and people hide behind it. Posting privately what they're too embarrassed to write publicly. Unless OCBen is threatening you I'm not sure what the mods could do but there are a few things you can do.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:51 AM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

those of us w/ the x-51 or Tip have a radiator in the center which is twice as big as the a/c condensor. Guess where the rock hit mine. The fix to replace my radiator was $800.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:57 PM
peer
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Back on topic...
took my c4s wtih 4k in for DE inspection/creaking windo fix today and was adivsed that the AC was shot, no details but will be covered under warranty. I will get the postmortem on the unit soon.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:30 AM
ddub
Intermediate

Hi guys,
This weekend, after a 50min freeway drive w/ the A/C on I noticed a ton of steam/smoke coming from my right front air intake. I turned off my A/C & fan and the steam went away. My engine temp & oil temp is fine, but there's some oily residue in the air intake. Does this sound like the same problem that Alan Smithee had?!?
Old 06-19-2007, 04:10 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,010 Likes on 718 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
How would you have worded it instead?
Just face it. Tact and communication aren't your strong suits so don't try to force it. Won't work. Doesn't mean your posts can't be informative. Only means they won't have the impact of the same post written by someone less arrogant.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:59 AM
kauai_diver
Straight to Video
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Just face it. Tact and communication aren't your strong suits so don't try to force it. Won't work. Doesn't mean your posts can't be informative. Only means they won't have the impact of the same post written by someone less arrogant.
+1, Ben your knowledge is superior and I've learned a lot from your posts but your attitude can stink sometimes

But your OT I'd hit it posts are spot on man

Last edited by kauai_diver; 06-19-2007 at 06:14 AM.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:33 AM
W211
Racer

Default Since you asked

How would you have worded it instead?
Originally Posted by Tron999
How does mesh restrict the efficiency of the a/c condensor when you're sitting in LA traffic at 105 degrees? Can you please explain that? How is ANY situation of a/c use going to be higher stress/temperature than that(except for Texas traffic at 120 degrees)?

If the car is moving, you're going to have a helluva lot more airflow - mesh or no mesh - , and the compressor isn't going to be working any harder.

Are you a degreed mechanical engineer?
It's a little difficult to explain unless you're a mechanical engineer, but if you have the patience, I'll give it a shot.

We all have our bad days, but I'm extra patient being in the education field, having to deal with students and faculty members on a daily basis.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:13 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge

You're acting as though this is a current post.

That post is older than your Rennlist signup date!

You're acting like a retarded dog that barks at old discarded clothes just 'cuz he picks up the faint scent of the one he's terrified of.

Hey, I've got news for you. I have over 7000 posts you can dig up and bark at if you like.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:11 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 421 Likes on 215 Posts

Why is it so hard to keep to the topic of threads?
Old 06-19-2007, 12:36 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by DerivativesGuy
Sometimes leaders need to be stern and often they come across as "know it alls" but often times it is because they do know more than most of us.
And often times they don't. But to guys like you it doesn't matter because the biggest bully in the room is always the safest and most comforting companion.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:46 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 126 Posts

As an old time Porsche driver I learned that you have to stay way back of other cars in order to minimise impact damage, whether it be rock chips to your paint, glass, or now, to condensor coils. Unfortunately, they are in a very vulnerable position. I suspect even Porsche wound up replacing a bunch of these as part of their own learning curve with their drivers. One distinct advantage that we have with these cars is a high acceleration or overtake velocity potential so one method to keep the damage to a minimum is to lay back and then overtake/pass from a distance back. If Porsche discovered a substantially high number of failures due to impact damage they would redesign those openings. But they would never admit they engineered something without all the data. That's not their style. Like with most engineers, there is a high degree of arrogance to them, which regular people may either tolerate or adjust to. Sadly, that element (dealing with people) is not their strong suit.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:39 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

You're acting as though this is a current post.

That post is older than your Rennlist signup date!

You're acting like a retarded dog that barks at old discarded clothes just 'cuz he picks up the faint scent of the one he's terrified of.

Hey, I've got news for you. I have over 7000 posts you can dig up and bark at if you like.

No, no......you don't understand. I don't waste time digging for your ego bloated trashings of decent people . This thread - old as it may be was brought back to life by somebody and there you were.

"Terrified of"? I've known plenty of people like you in real life and the only thing terrifying about them were the amount of problems they created while solving others. Sadly, as apt as they may have been in one particular area they were typically too stupid to recognize their limitations, especially in terms of leadership and strategy.

Last edited by sandwedge; 06-19-2007 at 05:25 PM.

Quick Reply: AC stopped working; dealer says condenser needs to be replaced on my dime.