Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 RS Brake Ducts

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007 | 08:52 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Default GT3 RS Brake Ducts

I received my GT3 RS brake ducts the other day and put the car up yesterday and had a problem. The oem duct on my 997S came off easily, but the new duct just wasn't going to go on. Has anyone had experience with making the GT3 RS duct work on any version of a 997? The part number starts with 996, but I was told the same part fits 996, 997, and a few other cars. I was also told it's a direct snap-in on the 997S... The end at the rotors would have to be trimmed, and the other end toward the front of the car would not slip into the receiver that's there for the oem duct - it would "hang out" under the car without any way to really secure it. Also, the "opening" in the center of the ducts where it surrounds the control arm and clips in is larger on the oem - meaning that no matter how I tried, it was not going over the arm without some snipping (expanding the slot).

Felt to me like either 1) Got the wrong ones (which I don't think is possible because there's only one GT3RS duct for these cars), or 2) It's really not a direct snap in as represented.

Anyone?...
Old 03-14-2007 | 11:37 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

My understanding is that the Gt3 suspension is different than that of the 997 or 997S. As a result, pick up points for supporting it may be off.
Old 03-14-2007 | 02:00 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

It's curious - they want to fit, but there are just too many factors off. The engineers / mechanics at the place I got them are pondering...
Old 03-14-2007 | 05:16 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

The GT3 Lower Control Arm is different than the 997 Carrera Control Arm.

The 997GT3 Brake spoilers have a 997 xxxP/N

The Brake spoilers you recieved with a 996 xxx P/N may be for a 996GT3

Did you get these from a dealer or another source?
Old 03-14-2007 | 09:12 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Ron,

Are you tracking the car often? I'm wondering why you'd need them.

In any event, I'd ask Kip or Roger at FBL on this one as I'm sure they are very aware of these.

Hope to see you on the track one day!!

Deanski
Old 03-14-2007 | 09:36 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Got these from a dealer and when they said 996 I was nervous - though they said "fits 996, 997, Boxter, etc. I thought better. I'll get this info over to them and see what they say.

I need them for extra cooling to the front rotors in order to make the Pagid Oranges be sufficient. I want to use Orange so they are civil on the street (ie: Not School Bus Loud), yet will hold up to extreme threshold braking on the track - especially going into Big Bend at Lime Rock, Turn 1 and the Bus Stop at The Glen. With my M3 I had to go to the most aggressive race pad out there - Cobalt Friction Spec VR - incredible coefficient, rated to something like 1500 degrees (vs. 900 or so for oem).

Thanks guys.
Old 03-14-2007 | 11:07 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Ah, now I see... Yes, I'd still ask the team at FBLfor advise on this one before you go too far.

Glad to see you once again at the DE event. I'm dying to get my C2S on the track soon.

Hope all goes well.

Regards,
Deanski
Old 03-14-2007 | 11:15 PM
SB
Instructor

Originally Posted by RonCT
I received my GT3 RS brake ducts the other day and put the car up yesterday and had a problem. The oem duct on my 997S came off easily, but the new duct just wasn't going to go on. Has anyone had experience with making the GT3 RS duct work on any version of a 997? The part number starts with 996, but I was told the same part fits 996, 997, and a few other cars. I was also told it's a direct snap-in on the 997S... The end at the rotors would have to be trimmed, and the other end toward the front of the car would not slip into the receiver that's there for the oem duct - it would "hang out" under the car without any way to really secure it. Also, the "opening" in the center of the ducts where it surrounds the control arm and clips in is larger on the oem - meaning that no matter how I tried, it was not going over the arm without some snipping (expanding the slot).

Felt to me like either 1) Got the wrong ones (which I don't think is possible because there's only one GT3RS duct for these cars), or 2) It's really not a direct snap in as represented.

Anyone?...
I'm going to recieve my gt3 ducts tomorrow. I believe i'm getting them from the same place. Please let me know what you figure out ASAP. Please email me at whoissb@yahoo.com...I can still refuse the delivery and not have to deal with shipping...

Thanks

Last edited by SB; 03-15-2007 at 07:13 PM.
Old 03-15-2007 | 12:03 AM
jjporsch43
Instructor

Have the ducts on my 997 S-to say the least they required some "modifying"-cutting.....got them to fit and they appear to be functioning ok-no issues.
JJ SA Texas
05 Carrera S
Old 03-15-2007 | 01:28 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

Don't know about the 997, but I ran first my stock 996 ducts and then the RS ducts on GT3 control arms and both fit fine. I test fitted one of the RS ducts on one of my original brake ducts and it also fits fine. The only issue I get is the duct does rub some on the under tray and you have to be careful over bumps. I tore part of the bottom lip off the right side duct.

These may not work on the 997. I would recommend checking the Porsche parts catablog for what comes on a 997 GT3 cup. The control arms and mounting point are different on the 997 suspension, so even if they fit on the control arm they may have rubbing issues.
Old 03-15-2007 | 05:31 PM
jjporsch43
Instructor

02': Agree-the 997 GT3 Cup ducts were not available when I purchased mine. The ones I purchased were probably made for the 996-hence the trim job. No rubbing-have scraped them a few times in my driveway-my car is lowered about 35mm.
JJ SA Texas
05 Carrera S
Old 03-15-2007 | 05:34 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

This just in from the Porsche dealership...

The RS duct is a direct fit for the control arm, and this is only meant to attach to the control arm. A technician told me that it will fit your car if part of the wheel-liner is trimmed, that is why it was difficult to position the duct.

So, modification is definitely needed to fit these to a 997...

Quick Reply: GT3 RS Brake Ducts