Sponsored by:

Rattles,Squeeks, and other Ailments

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 04:34 AM
jerryrice
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattles,Squeeks, and other Ailments

Friend of mine had a rather pristine honda for over a year, never a sqeek, rattle, or any other issue, then decided to put in a sport suspension, car ride was rather bone jarring, after a a month he winds up with almost the same afflictions of 911 owners some rattles, , sqeeks, new electronic issues he never had before, so was curious, are there any cars that have firm to extra firm suspensions that do not have these issues. Maybe porsche build quality is spot on, but the firm suspension is what causes a lot of issues and is just a fact of life.???
Old 03-04-2007, 07:55 AM
John NY-Naples
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My '07 997S with 3,800 miles has had no issues of rattles or squeaks or electronic malfunction. My '06 BMW 330 with sport suspension (daily driver) with 27,000 miles has had no issues. While there could be some logic to suggesting that a stiffer suspension can loosen the car's parts resulting in rattles, I haven't experienced it. Separately, many years ago I made the mistake of purchasing a Toyota Avalon. The car was extremely smooth, with a very nice engine. The car, however, had more rattles than one could imagine. I had to get rid of the car because of it.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:53 AM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 679 Likes on 344 Posts

Hope my soon to be TT is as squeak and rattle free as my 997S is. 10,000 miles and solid as a rock. No problems whatsoever.
Old 03-04-2007, 12:15 PM
SYMA
Pro

My 06' S has a pretty nasty creak or downright loud knock sound inside in the far passenger corner of dash. I can even duplicate it by lightly pressing on the dash in that area. When it occurs while driving it really wakes you up!!
Otherwise I have no other noises.
Old 03-04-2007, 01:24 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 531 Likes on 166 Posts

I think many "squeaks, rattles, & pops" come from the expansion and contraction of the newer materials used in most (including our Porsches) interiors. As interior temperatures rise and fall, different pieces come into contact with adjoining materials to make "noise" as the car flexes during driving.
I've never had a car that was completely "noise free." Although some have been much better than others. My 997S has a recurring "snap" (sounds a lot like SYMA's description above) under the driver's side of the dash. However, it only seems apparent when the interior temperature is chilly. Once things warm up - the noise is gone.
Honestly, the car is so much fun to drive, I hardly even notice the little occasional noises it makes. And compared to my '88 911, which sounded like a buckboard most of the time, my 997 is rock solid.
Old 03-04-2007, 01:47 PM

I've had three seperate areas rattling and one squeak 07 997S
Old 03-04-2007, 04:59 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have squeaks, rattles and pops in my head, does that count?
Old 03-05-2007, 02:38 PM
draxa
Burning Brakes

My 2S has hit 12,000miles and apart from a cold-weather rattle behind the instruments (now fixed on a Porsche TSB thanks again to some kind users on this forum) is rattle- and squeak free.

And that's amazing because you just cannot believe how bad the surface on English 'A' and 'B' roads is.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:35 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by jerryrice
Maybe porsche build quality is spot on, but the firm suspension is what causes a lot of issues and is just a fact of life.???
The 997's ride isn't that firm, especially with PASM. There are no excuses for any squeaks or rattles in the 997.

Personally, I have had chronic creaking from the rear speaker grilles, thumping from the sunroof, and an occasional squeak from drivers' seat. The dealer has had no luck with the speaker grilles, and has reduced the sunroof thumping considerably (but not totally). It's an early production car with over 20k miles on it.

Quick Reply: Rattles,Squeeks, and other Ailments