Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing Sidemarkers Without Busting Something?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 02:21 PM
SYMA
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Replacing Sidemarkers Without Busting Something?

Hi Everyone,
This has been discussed in detail even with a few pictures. I have removed the tiny plug in the wheel well, I have a plethora of small screwdrivers but I am very unclear (no pun) on exactly what angle the screwdriver goes in and in what direction you pry to remove the amber markers. Mine are in tight as hell and I am pulling gently as I maneuver the screwdriver around.

This is similar to using a coat hanger and trying to find the part you need to grab to unlock a door...

Thanks
Old 02-23-2007, 02:27 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you bought your car, in with the owners manuals you should have a 'credit card' looking card. on the card are detailed instructions with pictures on how to remove the side markers.

I forgot to mention you USE the card to remove them...
Old 02-23-2007, 02:29 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

First of all, make sure the wheel is turn inwards to give you the needed clearance.

2nd of all, you'll be pushing against a metal clip to release the unit. Tap with the flat screwdriver's blade until you make sure you hear metal on metal contact, as opposed to metal on plastic - hopefully your hearing is adequate to make that distinction.

Once you are sure of the metal-to-metal contact, press with the blade (use the largest screwdriver blade you can fit through the access hole with adequate clearance) and hold the marker unit with your other hand and pull slightly as you press against the spring clip to release it and allow the unit to come free.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:38 PM
SYMA
Pro

Hi Ben,
Wheel turned. Hearing great. Confirmed metal to metal, can actually see part of clip through the tiny hole. Did depress clip and was able to pull marker out of bumper maybe 3/4" then it met resistance. You know....the kind of resistance that says " pull some more and I'm breaking" resistance.

To the dealer....
Thanks for the speedy reply though, I appreciate it.

Likemystoppie, That card is used for the front fogs only.....no?
Old 02-23-2007, 02:41 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
When you bought your car, in with the owners manuals you should have a 'credit card' looking card. on the card are detailed instructions with pictures on how to remove the side markers.

I forgot to mention you USE the card to remove them...
The card is for the fog lights.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:46 PM
9elf S
Instructor

Has anyone taken pictures of the replacement process?
Old 02-23-2007, 02:55 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Okay: I was wrong! LOL

Take a plastic tool the size of a flat head screw driver, wedge it in the front of the marker (closest to the front of the car) leverage the marker out (with a lifting motion and push backwards to the rear of the car) and you can grab it with your fingers. it'll pull out and rearward- it's not delicate, but don't force it. You'll see as soon as you get your fingers around it. It'll just pop out.

edit: d*mn it I posted LATE again!!
Old 02-23-2007, 03:14 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I actually did this without any tools. Just with my hands.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:15 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SYMA
Hi Ben,
Wheel turned. Hearing great. Confirmed metal to metal, can actually see part of clip through the tiny hole. Did depress clip and was able to pull marker out of bumper maybe 3/4" then it met resistance. You know....the kind of resistance that says " pull some more and I'm breaking" resistance.
Okay, take a close look at how the clip is shaped on the new ones. When you insert the screwdriver make sure the blade is horizontal (parallel to the ground, thus parallel to the plane of action of the spring clip). That way you increase the contact area of the blade to the clip and increase the likelihood that you are pushing the clip properly.

If the blade is "vertical" or perpendicular to the plane of action there is the possibility of making contact right below the curved part of the clip, which if that happens (as it sounds like in your case) you'll be pressing as far as you possibly can but the clip still won't disengage. Use the contour of the clip on the new ones as your guide.

You need to be pressing against the outermost curved part of the clip, and the best way to ensure that is with the blade positioned as I described.

It's a blind application, to be sure. But with enough patience you'll be able to figure it out.

Or you can do as Dan did, and just yank those suckers out as you won't have a need for the old ones. If you do use the "yank and pull" method there's a chance you'll break off or damage the plastic tab that holds the clip in place and end up with a loose fitting side marker, as others have experienced.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:36 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Or you can just leave the amber ones in and enjoy the car as is. I don't know why everyone thinks the amber ones are so bad. They add a little color to the front end of the car and complement the tail lights. I think they look fine.
Old 02-23-2007, 04:19 PM
icruze
Racer

Originally Posted by 9elf S
Has anyone taken pictures of the replacement process?
I did: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/252810-clear-side-lights.html
Old 02-23-2007, 04:22 PM
tkids
Pro

Listen to OCBEN, takes patience. One side took me 30 seconds of poking around and the otherside took 5 minutes. Look at your new side marker to get a hint of what you are aiming for in that little hole. I lightly applied outward pressure with my thumb so when it released I knew. Good luck.

Last edited by tkids; 01-05-2013 at 02:30 PM.
Old 02-23-2007, 04:29 PM
9elf S
Instructor

Wow...this is a scary place - in a good way.
Old 02-23-2007, 05:21 PM
DrDrilZ
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

i looked through these threads when installing mine as well. the best advice i got was "just yank the b*tch out". and it worked.
Old 02-23-2007, 05:46 PM
4thporsche
Racer

Originally Posted by DrDrilZ
i looked through these threads when installing mine as well. the best advice i got was "just yank the b*tch out". and it worked.
That's what I did.

Quick Reply: Replacing Sidemarkers Without Busting Something?