Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PSE Switch Hack - Accessing The Wires?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 07:18 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 505 Likes on 158 Posts
Default PSE Switch Hack - Accessing The Wires?

After reading the posted instructions on how to add an ON/OFF switch for PSE, I have a simple question: How do you get to the wires behind the rear seat (passenger side)? I can't seem to "lift up" the carpet as per the directions.

Can anyone who has accessed the rear wiring give me a tip as to how I can get at it? I'm reluctant to pull with force on the section in question for fear of wrecking something.

I suppose I could hire a pro to do this for me, but once I can get at that one wire which powers "the Orange Plug," the rest is easy. Thanks in advance for any help on this.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:57 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

I thought nowadays someone would have invented a wireless switch, for accessories like this, that avoid running wires through the cockpit...

I remember a few years ago I saw a PIAA wireless switch for its fog lights. It allows people to just wire up the fog lights inside the engine compartment, and then just plug in the wireless switch inside the cockpit. No need to run wires through the engine compartment firewall.

I wonder if something like this kind of wireless switch still exists? May be we can modify it for the PSE on/off?

What do you folks think?

With best regards,
Old 02-20-2007, 11:46 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder if something like this kind of wireless switch still exists? May be we can modify it for the PSE on/off?
On second thought, since Homelink is standard on all new 997s, it would be nice to have a wireless switch that plug into the engine department for the PSE ON/OFF, and then it can program Homelink to remote turn the PSE ON and OFF. This way it is just plug and play, install in minutes, no need to wire through the cockpit, and can easily deinstall.

I guess it should be do-able to make such 'Wireless Remote PSE On/Off Homelink module'? Not sure if the market is big enough for a profitable business out of it, but if it exists I will be the first to buy one.

With best regards,
- Alex.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:48 AM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by axhoaxho
...I guess it should be do-able to make such 'Wireless Remote PSE On/Off Homelink module'?
Now that's a great idea! But, you'd have to put the circuit interrupter in the engine compartment on the hot wire to the solenoid...not exactly an "invisible" location.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:57 AM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Why are you so insistent on invisibility? Do you really think a switch interrupting the circuit will negate warranty?
Old 02-21-2007, 09:26 AM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by larrytrk
Why are you so insistent on invisibility? Do you really think a switch interrupting the circuit will negate warranty?
Not insistent at all. I'd just like it to look clean. I doubt such a switch would cause warranty issues, unless you were having problems with the PSE itself.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:36 AM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

This install works fine for me and can be invisible if you close the ashtray!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/3388999...7594533681857/
Old 02-21-2007, 12:53 PM
Einstein
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here is the wireless switch you want. i am not sure its worth the $$$.

a simple toggle sw will do a better job.

http://www.rallylights.com/Optilux/o...te_harness.asp

here is a switch i mounted on my dash board (i know its a camry) but i dont think it looks bad.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2379797/6
Old 02-21-2007, 05:38 PM
Rolf Stumberger
Racer

Originally Posted by Leader
I can't seem to "lift up" the carpet as per the directions.

Can anyone who has accessed the rear wiring give me a tip as to how I can get at it? I'm reluctant to pull with force on the section in question for fear of wrecking something.

To answer your question.

Lift the carpet up starting in the middle of the car. Then pull out each side from under the trim.

The carpet has a ridgid foam backing, so do not KINK it in the middle.
There is nothing holding the carpet down , so just pull it up.

To get to the wiring, remove the left (passenger side) metal plate covering the electronics.
Old 08-25-2007, 04:50 AM
DrPeter
Instructor

For a slightly more in depth answer, I got this from another forum/member:
If you know how the PSE works, it's pretty easy to do.
You need to cut the 12 v power wire to the solenoid valve and install a switch in it .

You can find the wire by pulling up the carpet trim behind the rear seats and removing the metal electronics cover on the passenger side .
At the far left rear corner (looking to the back of the car ) there are two wires going out into the engine compartment to the solenoid valve.
One wire is lt. green (ground) and the other is red/purple(12 v )
You can cut either wire, but I cut the power wire .
Connect the two wire ends to a wire and run the two wires to the front of the car to where you want the switch.
(I installed mine in the ashtray )
Old 05-10-2013, 05:38 PM
AWay
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 74 Posts

Just to bring this back from the dead...

I have the Bose subwoofer removed, rear carpet, and flipped over the passenger side ECU tray. There is only one large bundle of wires running to the rear of the car, not two separate ones for the PSE specifically. I even tried to trace backwards from the orange plug in the engine compartment and it appears that the PSE wires join up and meld into the large pack of wires before going back into the car.

Has anyone else encountered this? Is it due to my PSE being factory installed and not dealer or second hand? I am not certain how I can locate the PSE wires in that giant bundle.

Thank you for any assistance.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:28 PM
AWay
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 74 Posts

Any thoughts on the absence of the wires? I've poked and probed and I surely still don't see any PSE specific wires back there, only the single large wire bundle. I even tried to pick out a purple/red wire in that bundle and to my eyes it looks like there is more than one.

Quick Reply: PSE Switch Hack - Accessing The Wires?