Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

why isn't mirror down on reverse standard on our cars?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 03:21 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Question why isn't mirror down on reverse standard on our cars?

super frustrated that mirror dip on reverse is only on "memory seat" vehicles.. so us with the sport buckets get left out..

you would think for a 80-160k car they would have this as standard regardless of the seat option (like most vehicles).

curious if anyone has figured a way to somehow retrofit this onto a 997... you never realize how much you need/want it until you dont have it.. i remember ordering my cayenne's with memory seat (390$) on purpose for the sole reason of the mirror dip... obviously i could dip myself but i am finicky on my mirror settings and would take me forever to put back to how i wanted.

-many thanx.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:16 AM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Remotekey will do it I believe, along with other functions, such as one touch up on passenger window, beep on locking, etc.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:12 AM
WindyCityC2S
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Obvious question...the mirror selector switch is on the passenger mirror when engaging reverse?
Old 05-10-2013, 09:34 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by WindyCityC2S
Obvious question...the mirror selector switch is on the passenger mirror when engaging reverse?
If he doesn't have memory seats (which he doesn't), it won't matter what position the mirror selector switch is in. The tilt down feature is part of the memory seat option.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:21 AM
Jason Judd
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is "Remotekey" ??

Never heard of this...
Old 05-10-2013, 10:27 AM
cairo94507
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 72 Posts

I have been a Porsche owner for almost 40 years now and it bothers me that Porsche charges you an arm and a leg for every single little option when we are paying over $100K for our cars as is. Reverse-tilt mirror is just another example of their price gouging. Come on Porsche, really? When spending over $100K you can't outfit the car correctly to begin with?
Old 05-10-2013, 10:50 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock
super frustrated that mirror dip on reverse is only on "memory seat" vehicles.. so us with the sport buckets get left out..

you would think for a 80-160k car they would have this as standard regardless of the seat option (like most vehicles).

curious if anyone has figured a way to somehow retrofit this onto a 997... you never realize how much you need/want it until you dont have it.. i remember ordering my cayenne's with memory seat (390$) on purpose for the sole reason of the mirror dip... obviously i could dip myself but i am finicky on my mirror settings and would take me forever to put back to how i wanted.

-many thanx.
I was told once a smart guy with piwis can actually find that option to make it work so. easier way is to buy mods4cars smarttop/remotekey unit - it will do all that plus will allow wondows/roof to open from single touch and will let windows open down when you hold your key opening car. I like it.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:57 AM
chris.hanle
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Porsche is know so much for its crazy and expensive options that everyone has accepted it and they oblige and keep on charging. It is like trucks and gas mileage, people accept and keep on buying them. Only thing that will change this is if people quit buying. Look up top ten crazy/expensive Porsche options from reputable car mags.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:01 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

RemoteKey for those who did not know. Ask Eric at bumperplugs.
Works great!
http://www.mods4cars.com/sms/shop/in...ode=view&id=49
Old 05-10-2013, 01:18 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by larrytrk
RemoteKey for those who did not know.
I would say it has to be in a FAQ section as a very first thing any 997 car owner should do - to install it.
no idea if 991 cars are same way screwed as 997 but remotekey helps to solve a lot of issues.

for me other critical thing was to make car 'chirp' when you lock it as on sunny day at any noisy parking lot I was never sure if I closed it or not.

but to turn off seatbelt 'chime' you will need a piwis - will need to disable weight sensor in the driver seat for that.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:14 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts
Default Just because

It's not standard because Porsche knows that their customers will pay extra for the privilege of enjoying features that every other car in that price range offers as a standard feature.

The list is long. Nowadays, if your new car has a radio, that radio probably comes with a hookup for your ipod. At Porsche, even if you get the Bose upgrade, you STILL pay extra for the ability to hook up an auxiliary source. Want memory seats? Want audio controls on your steering wheel? Want child seat anchors in your back seat for your 997? Want automatic headlights that turn off when you park so your battery doesn't run down? No problem. Just pay for it and here you go.

What boggles my mind is that the car I bought used, I selected largely based on the interior and comfort items that the PO had chosen when he bought them new. He piled on over $15k in options and even with that outlay, I don't have automatic headlights. I have to turn them on and off every time I use them. Obviously, that's not a big issue but really, why wouldn't you just offer that on all of your cars?

I'm sure that the company justifies this policy on the outdated notion that these cars are sports cars and that some people just want a basic car to take to the race track. I don't believe this has been the case for many years. I'll wager that the vast majority of 911s are delivered spec'd out as touring cars, not racers.

I firmly believe that Porsche would charge a la carte prices for fenders and steering wheels if the federal government didn't insist that those pieces be included on all cars.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:20 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

automatic headlights is a matter of a general principle I guess. somebody at the factory was very strict about that. there is NO option that makes it work. BUT - there is a sun sensor in the car and there is a signal that shows light or dark that goes into ECU.
no idea what was the big deal but they never made it to work.

actually to have an option for fenders and steering wheel would be awesome. I would order RSR fenders and RS steering wheel.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:24 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 188 Posts

The lack of automatic headlights bugs me as well!
Old 05-10-2013, 02:32 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I guess it really depends on how the car is being used. For daily use I agree that many of the features you guys are asking for as standard really have an impact. I have most of these features on my MB and have come to appreciate all of them. My wifes Mazda has a lane changing blind spot sensor which I love, that should be a standard safety feature.

But on my Porsche I really wanted simplicity and I really like the fact that it's not loaded with all sorts of electrical motors, controls and sensors. The primary focus is driving enjoyment. For those that want more from the car such as the comfort features at least they are available. Porsche does charge crazy amounts for features which are largely standardized even in much lower priced cars so I agree that this is ridiculous but that is the price you pay unfortunately. That cost may also be high since everything can be ordered Ala Carte so every aspect of the car can be customized which complicates production. Porsche can lump all options in together but for someone looking for something simpler this would not be appreciated.

Again, I guess it depends on how you look at it.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:51 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by cairo94507
I have been a Porsche owner for almost 40 years now and it bothers me that Porsche charges you an arm and a leg for every single little option when we are paying over $100K for our cars as is. Reverse-tilt mirror is just another example of their price gouging. Come on Porsche, really? When spending over $100K you can't outfit the car correctly to begin with?
You may feel that way, and Jeremy Clarkeson would agree with you. Maybe its a British vs German thing.

I prefer the base car comes with the minimum of options and I decide what options I wan to add and pay for. If we let the majority decide what came standard on cars, I'd not be able to buy my 6spd manual gearbox in a Targa.

It is all a matter of pricing. If they put a bunch of stuff on as standard, then the standard price would go up appropriately.

Ok, maybe the right option is to find out what options 80% of the customers prefer and make that the default order configuration and then those folks that custom order a car can delete the unwanted options and the car prices come down as a result of taking options off. (Though the high end cars makes typically charge you more for removing things )

I do agree its silly how some functions are bundled together. Controll features like seat memory, sport chrono function (besides the clock on the dash), off-road path tracking, customizable settings in the PCM, mirror tilt on reverse, etc etc. They are all things that should have the hardware installed on every single car out there, and then enable the feature and related hardware with an activation key if the owner buys the feature.

Making ONE config of car has to be SOO much cheaper than custom building each cockpit to order. And it allows future owners to then add features not previously installed by just purchasing an activation key.

Quick Reply: why isn't mirror down on reverse standard on our cars?