Sponsored by:

steering wheel custom wrap

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 02:18 PM
raffi
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_Smile
great job raffi......i think you're going to start a trend here.... do you know if he can make it look like the GT3 one? same material as well....
i dont see why not. I am actually thinking of doing another one with the perforated section in alcantara.
I dont like the idea of contrasting colors though...
I am waiting for a steering wheel to pop up on ebay.
If anyone has a wheel they would like to sell or even consider trading me for my re-wrapped wheel let me know.
Old 02-15-2007, 04:00 PM
mountainmaniac
Advanced

I'd certainly like to know more. Can the typical auto-interior shop do this? How scary is it to pull the wheel? What did he do? Glue additional leather onto the existing leather?

btw, my car has full leather interior, and my wheel is beginning to show signs of the funky indentation in the center hub
Old 02-15-2007, 07:21 PM
raffi
Pro

Pulling the wheel is extremely easy. The hardest part is to make sure it is realigned on install so you must paint some marks to get it back on straight.

I was just visiting the shop and am pretty sure I want to try the alcantara to match the roof of the car.

So if anyone wants to get a thicker steering wheel I will trade mine for $400 shipped.

Last edited by raffi; 02-15-2007 at 07:47 PM.
Old 02-25-2007, 05:02 PM
raffi
Pro

I decided to get an aftermarket fvd steering wheel so I put up my thicker steering wheel on ebay, check the link for details. reserve is $320
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...spagenameZWDVW
Old 03-15-2007, 11:38 AM
Sharptt
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by raffi
Pulling the wheel is extremely easy. The hardest part is to make sure it is realigned on install so you must paint some marks to get it back on straight.

I was just visiting the shop and am pretty sure I want to try the alcantara to match the roof of the car.

So if anyone wants to get a thicker steering wheel I will trade mine for $400 shipped.
When you get the chance, please post some general instructions on how to pull the wheel. Showing how easy it is will probably prompt someone to step to the plate for your wheel. Make sure everyone disconnects the battery before starting so they don't get a airbag going off in their face!
Old 03-15-2007, 11:42 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

My hands are too small to deal with a thicker steering wheel. However, it does look nicer than the stock one.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:35 PM
raffi
Pro

hey guys I actually sold this wheel a few weeks ago, I got the standard triangle wheel as a trade and am waiting for the shipment of my fvd wheel.
the triangular version looks so much better, I really disliked that round airbag.
Anyway, the diy removal is very simple, you just push in screwdriver in the little hole at 6 oclock at the bottom of wheel, pop off the airbag. then remove the T55 bolt.
i can give more detailed instructions if anyone is interested.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:43 PM
raffi
Pro

I actually found an old email in which I sent some directions on this diy.

1, remove negative terminal on battery. do not close the trunk because you will be unable to open it with the battery disconnected.
2, get a thin guage flathead screwdriver, insert in the little hole about 2-3 inches and turn, you should feel the airbag get loose if you are in the right spot, it just pops out.
3, unplug the aibag and put aside.
4, remove the bolt with a torx 55 bit.
5, now mark with a permanent marker or some paint the spots on the wheel and where the bolt was, the mark will be on the inside where the thread is for the bolts and the steering wheel. this is to make sure you put the wheel back on at the same spot, and it is aligned perfectly.

reinstall:
obviously the reverse directions, and retorque the bolt with 37 ft-1bs.

Quick Reply: steering wheel custom wrap