Sponsored by:

Headligths Stolen (again)

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 05:41 PM
CarreraS06
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headligths Stolen (again)

Everything seemed pefect for Superbowl sunday until I walked out to the parking lot of my condo and saw my car without headlights. This is the second time in 11 months. The first time I made a huge deal and the building installed cameras and hire more security. Im very dissapointed to my condo, porsche, and the miami police, I been thinking about selling my car. I dont know if there is any lawyers in our forum but I wonder if my condo is liable. feedback please!!
Old 02-05-2007, 05:44 PM
rountreed
Burning Brakes

Not a lawyer but would guess you will not see a dime. Sorry for your loss!
Old 02-05-2007, 05:47 PM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

According to my dealer(champion motors) miami is the number one place for stolen headlights.they use them on rice rockets.a friend of mine who lives in miami had a sophisticated alarm placed on his lights and has had no problems.good luck and watch where you park! 06 cab s
Old 02-05-2007, 05:57 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

Are they stealing stock headlights or zion only?

My 997 is in Ft Lauderdale.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:00 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry to hear, CarreraS06. There are so many 997s around Miami, statistically one would think that you wouldn't be hit TWICE. I'd guess it's the same people who took your headlights the first time; they know where your car sits, your schedule, and that you'll promptly replenish their supply of headlights. Buying something other than a Porsche isn't such a bad idea at this point.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:06 PM
cleanme
Burning Brakes

What?? Stealing headlights?? That's absurd!

Who uses these? For what?
Old 02-05-2007, 06:09 PM
rountreed
Burning Brakes

ebay?
Old 02-05-2007, 06:09 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd be thinking of a new neighborhood.....
Old 02-05-2007, 06:11 PM
kauai_diver
Straight to Video
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bill walczak
Are they stealing stock headlights or zion only?

My 997 is in Ft Lauderdale.
I think the thieves have only been taking the xenon headlights and for the most part in Florida.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:19 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by kauai_diver
I think the thieves have only been taking the xenon headlights and for the most part in Florida.
Perfect. Replace them with the stock units and hopefully this ends the problem. I have the base headlights and no one else seems to want them yet. The 996 headlights were being stolen often around the country. I need to see if stolen 996 lights are zeon or stock.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:20 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

When looking into this one day I found that it would be relatively simple to install a headlight-unique alarm much like you see in clothing stores featuring high-dollar leather or fur jackets. A shrouded wire is looped through the arm and completes the circuit. If broken the alert goes off. When re-installing a Bi-Xenon headlight you will find many points that you could loop such a wire through and house the ends of the wire in the trunk-mounted alarm (perhaps near the DVD nav unit). It could get its power from the nearby battery. This would be ultra simple,--and add a seriously EAR-shattering siren. No one wants to be bothered by a car alarm, they commonly go off. But a headlight alarm could be seriously loud to emphasize the urgency of response and action. At the worst you would only lose one!
Old 02-05-2007, 06:23 PM
mountainmaniac
Advanced

I'm a lawyer. Unfortunately I doubt you could succeed against your condo association. I suspect that the association bylaws state that the condo association is NOT responsible for damaged/stolen personal property. By owning your condo, you agree to those terms. Read the bylaws carefully, but this is probably your responsibility, not theirs. Especially if they already took the reasonable steps you outlined, i.e. security cameras, etc. What else could you reasonably expect them to do? And hey, I'm a greedy Plaintiff's lawyer!

I hope you have a good comprehensive auto policy.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:40 PM
vbizguy
Instructor

Don't you need access to your trunk to get at the lights? At least that's how the headlight units came out of my car.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:14 PM
D.D.
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Edgy01
When looking into this one day I found that it would be relatively simple to install a headlight-unique alarm much like you see in clothing stores featuring high-dollar leather or fur jackets. A shrouded wire is looped through the arm and completes the circuit. If broken the alert goes off. When re-installing a Bi-Xenon headlight you will find many points that you could loop such a wire through and house the ends of the wire in the trunk-mounted alarm (perhaps near the DVD nav unit). It could get its power from the nearby battery. This would be ultra simple,--and add a seriously EAR-shattering siren. No one wants to be bothered by a car alarm, they commonly go off. But a headlight alarm could be seriously loud to emphasize the urgency of response and action. At the worst you would only lose one!
Hmmmmmmmmmm...........very interesting............Any vendors want to take a crack at this as to providing such a kit??? Is it about time??????? Seems like there is a market yet to be tapped??? Anyone???????
Old 02-05-2007, 07:24 PM
FlyingLow
Racer

This has been happening for a long time, especially hard hit is the southern Florida area. I think it all started with the 996TT headlights.

Quick Reply: Headligths Stolen (again)