Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could use some help with a new rattle

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 10:53 PM

Question Could use some help with a new rattle

Didn't seem to find this paticular one in any searches.

I just noticed a rattle coming from the rear deck area inside the car, my girlfriend sat in the rear torture chamber seats while I drove and she thinks it's coming from the psngr side, in the very back corner of the rear deck. I removed the small carpeted panel that's just below the rear window and nothing is back there. The rattle sounds like something is dangling/hanging loosely hitting against something metallic. Very slight bumps will cause the rattle and harsh bumps don't really seem to affect it much more. What's just below the large flat part of the carpeted rear deck? Anyone else have this rattle and or fix?
Thanks

Last edited by 500; 02-03-2007 at 12:00 AM.
Old 02-03-2007, 01:20 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 129 Posts

I have heard of a minor rattle problem on a few coupes in that area. The dealers usually solve it by adding some felt material under the right rear quarter window. Could that be the source?
Old 02-03-2007, 01:25 AM
kauai_diver
Straight to Video
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are the rear seat belts harnessed over the plastic lip on top? When my son rides back there and forgets to put the seat belt over the lip, then I get a rattle too.

Also try moving your passenger side seat up as far as it can go, might eliminate that as a source of rattling or easier to detect at least.
Old 02-03-2007, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I have heard of a minor rattle problem on a few coupes in that area. The dealers usually solve it by adding some felt material under the right rear quarter window. Could that be the source?
It sounds like it's right in the far rear corner but could possibly be behind the the rear side panel as you mention; is it easy to remove as I'd love to have a look back there? Thanks
Old 02-03-2007, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by kauai_diver
Are the rear seat belts harnessed over the plastic lip on top? When my son rides back there and forgets to put the seat belt over the lip, then I get a rattle too.

Also try moving your passenger side seat up as far as it can go, might eliminate that as a source of rattling or easier to detect at least.
Checked the seats last night; its coming from under the rear deck carpet in the far back corner or possibly the rear side panel behind that little vent thingy. Does anyone know exactly what's behind there? Thanks
Old 02-03-2007, 06:43 PM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has the dealer looked at this? There seems to be so many areas for rattles on these cars if you're plagued with them it's anybodies guess. Good luck with it.
Old 02-03-2007, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by SrfCity
Has the dealer looked at this? There seems to be so many areas for rattles on these cars if you're plagued with them it's anybodies guess. Good luck with it.
Thanks, not yet. I'm trying to isolate it and see if its any easy fix ie; a piece of felt tape etc. It's so damn annoying as something is very loose back there and the slightest little bump creates the rattle. If I only knew how to correctly remove the rear side panels I think I could find and hopefully fix it.
Old 02-04-2007, 08:09 PM
rmklaw
Instructor

I am having a similar proble. Dea ler has not been able to isolate or fix. Its a rattle like if rear lid was lose or when you hit the fan with your fist (fan rattles).
Old 02-04-2007, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by rmklaw
I am having a similar proble. Dea ler has not been able to isolate or fix. Its a rattle like if rear lid was lose or when you hit the fan with your fist (fan rattles).
Half time break...
My rattle seems to be coming from somewhere in the interior and I think its from the rear seatbelt retractors which are in the far corners of the cargo area behind the C pillar trim. If you moderatley tap on that area with your fist you may be able to replicate the rattle. I HATE rattles especially with only 800 miles. Porsche needs to work on this as I've already corrected/located rattles from three different locations 1) psngr door panel 2) center AC vents 3) rear cargo area perhaps belt retractors. I like driving without music most of the time and prefer to just listen to the engine; since I'm in S Fl the a/c is on most of the time so the windows are up and every rattle can be heard AARRGH!!!
Old 02-05-2007, 12:34 AM
rkeyser
Advanced

The only Porsche that didn't rattle of the 10 I owned was a '95 993. My 997 had 3 or 4 rattles going at the same time. I don't think "rattle management" has been a very high priority with Porsche.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:04 AM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 500
Half time break...
My rattle seems to be coming from somewhere in the interior and I think its from the rear seatbelt retractors which are in the far corners of the cargo area behind the C pillar trim. If you moderatley tap on that area with your fist you may be able to replicate the rattle.
Jeez, now that you mention it that's exactly what it is. I had the same thing so I got some black foam and stuffed it into where the retractor is to stop the movement and it stopped. I never use the back seat belts for anything so I didn't care about the foam in there. That should tie you over until you take it in for something else.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by rkeyser
The only Porsche that didn't rattle of the 10 I owned was a '95 993. My 997 had 3 or 4 rattles going at the same time. I don't think "rattle management" has been a very high priority with Porsche.
My last 993 was a 97 cab, just a very minor occasional creak from the convertible top and that was it...rest of the car tight as ...well you know
Old 02-05-2007, 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by SrfCity
Jeez, now that you mention it that's exactly what it is. I had the same thing so I got some black foam and stuffed it into where the retractor is to stop the movement and it stopped. I never use the back seat belts for anything so I didn't care about the foam in there. That should tie you over until you take it in for something else.
Thanks for sharing that .I bought the 997 interior workshop manual online today and took out all the rear deck carpet etc to try and locate this damn rattle. I had trouble removing the pin/catch where the rear seat backs latch on to (the bolt would not budge) therefore I could not remove the lower C pillar trim piece, as if I could I was ready to remove the whole retractor mechanism on both sides and put it in a box on a shelf somewhere! Funny, stuffing some foam in there was my next option but only after I inquired if Porsche has a fix for these these noisy little bastards!

Did I mention I hate rattles!!!!

I had my poor girlfriend in the back torture chamber seats all weekend contorting herself trying to listen for the rattle while I tried to find and drive over bumps.
Old 02-05-2007, 02:50 AM
rkeyser
Advanced

I took my wife's Boxster in for its first service last week. They "fixed" a rattle in the top specified in a TSB. When I got the car back, it had 2 rattles in the top instead of one! I told my wife to just live with it because if I took it back, it might come out with 3 rattles. Porsche rattles seem to make a certain noise that are especially offensive. A BMW rattle is much more subtle where you hardly notice - a slight shuffling of cheap plastic perhaps.

With Porsche, the rattles are standard equipment - everything else is optional. That's my only real complaint with them, however.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:13 AM
Flatoff12
5th Gear

500 -

Any updates on your rattle battles??

Quick Reply: Could use some help with a new rattle