Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT - recommendations for a jack?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 05:05 PM
Rick in Colorado
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT - recommendations for a jack?

I set a new personal record today for changing a flat tire (wife's Jeep) on the side of an interstate - minus 1 degree. After 20+ years of faithful service, my old floor jack gave up the ghost, but not until the job was done.

I looked a Sears' website to look for a Craftman jack and was shocked to find the following. Read (all of) the reviews - have you ever seen anything like this in your life? Does the Product Manager at Sears not read this stuff on their own website?

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...seBVCookie=Yes

Any recommendations on a good utility jack (preferably hi-lift for SUVs and lo-profile for others)?
Old 01-12-2007, 05:07 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick in Colorado
Any recommendations on a good utility jack (preferably hi-lift for SUVs and lo-profile for others)?
Yes, many good rcommendations here if you search.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:10 PM
CharlieJr
Burning Brakes

Amazing... and really, quite sad.

The execs, I'm sure, are spending a lot of time trying to update the Sears brand/image/product mix - - when a simple focus on product quality and customer service could do wonders.

Craftsman and Kenmore were the two remaining jewels in the Sears crown. We've long since left Kenmore, now it look like Craftsman is heading that way too.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:12 PM
Rick in Colorado
Instructor

Originally Posted by OCBen
Yes, many good rcommendations here if you search.
I searched and the first thread that came up (dated 3 days ago) recommended Craftsman jacks - that spooked me enough to ask directly.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...40&postcount=3
Old 01-12-2007, 05:20 PM
OCBen
Banned

Actually the first recommendation in that thread was the aluminum jack from Pep Boys, followed by the Costco one (which I recommend) followed by the Sears one.

Search for older threads like within the past year. It's not like you're buying produce and you want the freshest one.

There were a few such threads in this very forum.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:25 PM
OCBen
Banned

There's quite a few good recommendations in that thread as it is.

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951-968-forum/323082-aluminum-jack-from.html

I would post your question there since it appears to be an active thread with lots of discussion and interest and someone there could probably answer any questions you might have.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:28 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep, I just got a new one. Had and still have a Craftsman but it is a thick jack... won't fit under the front or rear of the Carrera.

So I hunted all over the internet for the best low profile jack that I could find and the one I found is FANTASTIC.

AstroPneumatic 200LP. Bought it online from toolking.com. Link - http://toolking.com/category/product...productid=9805
Old 01-12-2007, 05:32 PM
Rick in Colorado
Instructor

Actually the first recommendation in that thread was the aluminum jack from Pep Boys, followed by the Costco one (which I recommend) followed by the Sears one.
The Costco one is rated at 1.5 tons - how does that translate vs the vehicle's weight? I'm assuming that we're only talking about the actual weight of the portion of the car that you're lifting (since most/all cars weigh over 3,000 lbs).
Old 01-12-2007, 05:38 PM
Rick in Colorado
Instructor

Search for older threads like within the past year. It's not like you're buying produce and you want the freshest one.
Ben, as an aside, why is this "use the search" such a Jihad for you? I find your input very helpful, but I searched under "search" with user name "OCBen" and the lights in my house dimmed from the surge. [BTW, "join Rennlist" was a popular second theme.]

This is a recreational forum, you need to lighten up on your fellow users. Otherwise, your input is insightful and I value it.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:45 PM
OCBen
Banned

Ben, as an aside, why is this "use the search" such a Jihad for you? I find your input very helpful, but I searched under "search" with user name "OCBen" and the lights in my house dimmed from the surge. [BTW, "join Rennlist" was a popular second theme.]

This is a recreational forum, you need to lighten up on your fellow users. Otherwise, your input is insightful and I value it.
Blow it out your ***, man. I'm trying to help you find the information you need and you're too stupid to realize it.

If you're really not looking for helpful information and have nothing else to do and just wanna chat about something, say so. Which it sounds like that might be your case. Otherwise you would have thanked me by now.

(how's that draxa?)
Old 01-12-2007, 05:51 PM
Rick in Colorado
Instructor

Blow it out your ***, man. I'm trying to help you find the information you need and you're too stupid to realize it.

If you're really not looking for helpful information and have nothing else to do and just wanna chat about something, say so. Which it sounds like that might be your case. Otherwise you would have thanked me by now.

(how's that draxa?)
Gosh, when my teenagers watch "The OC" on TV, all of the people seem so friendly and bubbly. And...reread my post, I did thank you ("your input is insightful and I value it") - you just need to quit playing cop with all of us. I will continue to read/appreciate your insights, but keep in mind most of us are C-level executives and prefer not to have our hands slapped by people on a powertrip.

Nuff said.
Old 01-12-2007, 06:22 PM
OCBen
Banned

Gosh, when my teenagers watch "The OC" on TV, all of the people seem so friendly and bubbly. And...reread my post, I did thank you ("your input is insightful and I value it") - you just need to quit playing cop with all of us. I will continue to read/appreciate your insights, but keep in mind most of us are C-level executives and prefer not to have our hands slapped by people on a powertrip.

Nuff said.
You call that a thanks??? ... You're only making an observation!

A C-level executive??? ... You're bragging about being a C-level??? .. Oh man, now who is on a powertrip?!

I outrank you. And I don't appreciate your impudent insubordination. Got that??? How dare you talk back to me!

(taking note draxa?)

Last edited by OCBen; 01-13-2007 at 12:46 PM. Reason: For draxa
Old 01-12-2007, 06:45 PM
Rick in Colorado
Instructor

Originally Posted by JohnnyNarcosis
So I hunted all over the internet for the best low profile jack that I could find and the one I found is FANTASTIC.
Wow. Both a low profile and a high maximum height - that's the combo that I was looking for. Thanks to all for the input (including OCBen, I mean it sincerely).

This is an example of why searching is not always all encompassing. This is the first mention of this jack - and - it's what I was looking for.

(draxa: I think that I took that round on points)
Old 01-12-2007, 06:47 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Photo of my AstroPneumatic 200LP low profile floor jack... and a naked beaver.

Last edited by JohnnyBahamas; 05-22-2013 at 12:37 PM.
Old 01-12-2007, 07:09 PM
D.D.
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quick Reply: OT - recommendations for a jack?