Sponsored by:

Painted top hats on C4S rotors

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 09:47 PM
rzundel
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painted top hats on C4S rotors

I thought I would share with you my project yesterday painting my rotors. Since getting the car, I have not been happy with the "quality" of the factory silver painted rotors. They simply looked unfinished to me. I'm a detail kind of guy and this was one detail that needed some attention.

I have attached some photo's of before and after. I am really happy with the way they turned out. I used Dupli-Color high performance caliper paint. The art is in the prep-work. I sanded down all the rotors and carefully masked all areas I didn't want to paint. I took my time and did the job right. It took about 8 hours to complete. Probably longer than needed but I took advantage of the tires being off and fully detailed the inner wheel wells.
Attached Images         

Last edited by rzundel; 01-07-2007 at 11:53 PM.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:14 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Rzundel - the black "top hats" look good with your Turbo wheels!

I did the same thing to my "top hats" last February, but I used silver paint. The paint still looks as good today as it did the day I painted them.

When I painted them, I purposly left some of the rotor exposed so I would get some paint on the inner edge ot the rotor (1st pic). Once the paint had dried, I drive the car around the block and let the brake pads remove the paint from the rotors. Now I have a very clean sharp edge on the new paint on the "top hats" (2nd pic).
Attached Images   
Old 01-07-2007, 10:29 PM
gr8330
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I like both colors. Nice idea for getting a sharp edge Tim.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:58 PM
rzundel
Instructor

Originally Posted by gota911
Rzundel - the black "top hats" look good with your Turbo wheels!

I did the same thing to my "top hats" last February, but I used silver paint. The paint still looks as good today as it did the day I painted them.

When I painted them, I purposly left some of the rotor exposed so I would get some paint on the inner edge ot the rotor (1st pic). Once the paint had dried, I drive the car around the block and let the brake pads remove the paint from the rotors. Now I have a very clean sharp edge on the new paint on the "top hats" (2nd pic).
It's hard to tell by the photo but I also cut about an 1/8 edge up on the rotor to get a smooth line. I hadn't driven the car at the time of photo's to see the after effect. It does make for a smooth line. Thanks for your photo's and response.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:50 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 129 Posts

Let us all know how long the various paints last in that application.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:09 PM
wetstuff
Pro

Hey thanks... After doing Jeff's Prime and Acrylic to all painted surfaces..hide food and polishing tips, etc... I was about to run out of things to do! So now the only decision is what color to do mine in. Good'O!
Old 01-08-2007, 01:44 PM
Sharptt
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both look very good. Using Caliper paint makes sense too. I still wish they equipped the cars with a lighter caliper and aluminum hat.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:49 AM
jacksonking
Racer

rzundel -- what did you use (and how) to detail the wheel wells? That looks amazing and I am just **** enough to take the time to do the same. TIA.

JK
Old 02-12-2007, 11:37 AM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 139 Posts

I planned to do my calipers last weekend but it's just so cold here I decided the paint probably wouldn't cure properly so I put it off. Now adding the top hat job to my list for when it finally warms up.

You guys on the west coast are so lucky
Old 02-12-2007, 11:47 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 129 Posts

On Saturday I dropped by the local P dealer and saw what happens inside all those light grey wheels when they wash the cars and let them sit and rust. They take them for a little spin and the rust from inside the regular rotor vents is flung out onto the back side of all those wheels and it looks terrible. I'm doubly pleased to have gone for the PCCBs.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:51 AM
QKENUFF
Instructor

Very nice look. Makes you wonder why the factory didn't finish them this way, or at least offer a leather option?
Old 02-12-2007, 12:53 PM
jnx
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by QKENUFF
Very nice look. Makes you wonder why the factory didn't finish them this way, or at least offer a leather option?
Leather option, very funny. You may be on to something.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:08 PM
Paladin
Advanced

Very, very impressive, guys. Both the silver and the black look awesome.

I'd love to hire someone to do that for me!
Old 02-12-2007, 02:30 PM
Sharptt
Pro

Originally Posted by Edgy01
On Saturday I dropped by the local P dealer and saw what happens inside all those light grey wheels when they wash the cars and let them sit and rust. They take them for a little spin and the rust from inside the regular rotor vents is flung out onto the back side of all those wheels and it looks terrible. I'm doubly pleased to have gone for the PCCBs.
No problem. The little bit of rust blows away quite simply with a shot of compressed air. PCCBs are certainly nice and should be offered for those who feel the need. But I would prefer that they offer floating rotors with aluminum hats just like the race cars use.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:27 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Let us all know how long the various paints last in that application.
Dan - I painted my "top hats" in mid October of 2006 and they still look as good today as they did the day I painted them, so the paint seems to be holding up well.

Quick Reply: Painted top hats on C4S rotors