Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dension Gateway 500 iPod Adapter Arrived Today

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 06:16 PM
wibble
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nope, apologies if this is a closed forum - I didn't realise.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:12 AM
stevehess
Track Day

Your photos were incredibly helpful

THANK YOU

Steve
Old 07-30-2009, 11:07 AM
stevehess
Track Day

Just came back from Porsche dealer for the software change to recognize a CD changer. Make sure the AUX box switch is in the "service" position before doing this (blue light should be flashing, not solid).

Dealer did not even charge me which is a first

I tapped into the MOST system at the free (disconnected--unused) connector mounted right behind the master cylinder assembly. This connector is intended for the CD changer which I do not have so it is just clipped against the sheet metal going nowhere. (2007 Carrera base model - no CD, no NAV no Phone)

The install took me three hours. The next time I could do it in an hour. That's how that goes. Works the nuts. If any questions feel free to email me at shess1@frontiernet.net

Eric at Bumperplugs was invaluable. I wouldn't dream of buying this anywhere else.

Steve
Old 06-21-2010, 12:00 AM
Musclehedz101
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Question How to disconnect the fiber end from this fiber "butt connector"??

I screwed up doing install of my GW500 for father's day (been working on it for 4 hours...)
Anyone know how to disconnect the fiber end from this fiber "butt connector"??
Attached Images  
Old 06-23-2010, 10:50 AM
Musclehedz101
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Musclehedz101
I screwed up doing install of my GW500 for father's day (been working on it for 4 hours...)
Anyone know how to disconnect the fiber end from this fiber "butt connector"??
In case anyone needs it, here's my resolution posting:
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...all-gw500.html

Old 07-07-2010, 12:42 PM
joafog
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had to open this sublject again! I have bought a used Dension GW 500 for my Porsche 911 (997)! I just have to ask if this is the only fiber cable I need (See pic)? How do I install this fibercable in my car (I have the CD charger)?

Regards

//Joacim
Attached Images  
Old 07-07-2010, 01:04 PM
Paul S.
Pro

Received 66 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by joafog
I had to open this sublject again! I have bought a used Dension GW 500 for my Porsche 911 (997)! I just have to ask if this is the only fiber cable I need (See pic)? How do I install this fibercable in my car (I have the CD charger)?

Regards

//Joacim
the kit originally came with two fiber optic cables (which you have). Scroll up through this thread--everything you want to know and then some is in here. Mine does not have the CD Changer, so I cannot help you with that part of your question.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:00 PM
Musclehedz101
Rennlist Member

To add to Paul's comments:

Answer is it depends...

Answer #1 If you want to keep the Changer you will need to connect to 2nd MOST connector on GW500 unit and will require it's own MOST fiber cable pair. The changer will work when AUX switch is in "Bypass mode".

Answer #2 If you don't want to keep changer...
Option "a" simply unplug CD Changer and plug into MOSt port #1 on GW500, done!
Option "b": You have the necessary cables to complete install. Simply tie in MOST loop after PCM/before CD Changer. (See prior threads on how to).
Old 07-25-2010, 05:29 AM
man_of_ice
Racer

Semi-xpost here - lots of ppl still posting here, so I might have a better chance of an answer.

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-foru...mod-works.html

I ended up NOT using my iPhone or an iPod, but went with a 250 GB USB harddrive instead (those suckers are soooo small and inexpensive these days).

But I cant get the auto generated m3u playlists to work. They are placed in the root of the drive with a name like "favorites.m3u" and look like this:

Code:
#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:208,AC/DC - Highway To Hell
AC_DC\Highway To Hell\01 Highway To Hell.mp3
#EXTINF:305,AC/DC - Gone Shootin'
AC_DC\Powerage\07 Gone Shootin'.mp3
#EXTINF:338,Alice In Chains - Down In A Hole
Alice In Chains\Dirt\12 Down In A Hole.mp3
#EXTINF:343,Audioslave - Shadow On The Sun
Audioslave\Audioslave\07 Shadow On The Sun.mp3
#EXTINF:317,Audioslave - The Last Remaining Light
Audioslave\Audioslave\14 The Last Remaining Light.mp3
Any clue why they dont show up at all?

/Thomas
Old 11-22-2010, 11:03 AM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 130 Posts

Holy thread revival. Anyone have tips on passing the iPod cable/Bluetooth mic into the cabin from the trunk? Pics would be great as I'm more of a visual person
Old 11-22-2010, 12:18 PM
Kuhan
Racer

Originally Posted by bonehead
Holy thread revival. Anyone have tips on passing the iPod cable/Bluetooth mic into the cabin from the trunk? Pics would be great as I'm more of a visual person
I just put mine in this weekend. There are two rubber grommets in the battery bay, one leading to cabin (this is directly behind the battery) and one leading to the trunk (this is on the passenger side).

I used a sharp knife to make a slit in the grommet behind the battery and then poked a straightened coat hanger through. I was being lazy and didn't remove the battery so it was a bit fiddly. I found the end of the coat hanger near the accelerator pedal and hooked the mic cable to it and pulled it back through the grommet. It's easier to pull the cable from cabin to battery bay than the other way around since it's the plug that comes through the grommet and not the mic. By the way, I'm leaving the iPod in the trunk so I didn't pass the iPod cable through.

I then repeated the exercise with the grommet leading from the battery bay to the trunk. This was a lot easier since the grommet is readily accessible.

I was going to take some photos but totally forgot! There are another rennlister's pictures here but it looks a bit different to my 997.

Overall, I was very surprised how easy it was and that everything worked first time!
Old 11-22-2010, 01:01 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kuhan
I just put mine in this weekend. There are two rubber grommets in the battery bay, one leading to cabin (this is directly behind the battery) and one leading to the trunk (this is on the passenger side).

I used a sharp knife to make a slit in the grommet behind the battery and then poked a straightened coat hanger through. I was being lazy and didn't remove the battery so it was a bit fiddly. I found the end of the coat hanger near the accelerator pedal and hooked the mic cable to it and pulled it back through the grommet. It's easier to pull the cable from cabin to battery bay than the other way around since it's the plug that comes through the grommet and not the mic. By the way, I'm leaving the iPod in the trunk so I didn't pass the iPod cable through.

I then repeated the exercise with the grommet leading from the battery bay to the trunk. This was a lot easier since the grommet is readily accessible.

I was going to take some photos but totally forgot! There are another rennlister's pictures here but it looks a bit different to my 997.

Overall, I was very surprised how easy it was and that everything worked first time!
Thanks! That's very helpful. Will still need to figure out how to thread the iPod cable into the glove box.

How did you end up routing the BT mic?
Old 11-22-2010, 01:47 PM
Kuhan
Racer

How did you end up routing the BT mic?
I'm pretty sure you'll need a picture for this!

I brought it up from above the accelerator pedal, along the left side of the center console then left along the trim and to the top of the steering wheel console. I just unlocked the adjustable steering wheel and pulled it out and down and then tucked the wire in the crease. I read somewhere here that the OEM place to put the mic is in the steering wheel console so at some point, I'm going to try and get it in there. Right now it's just sitting above the cuts in the console where the mic should be.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:31 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kuhan
I'm pretty sure you'll need a picture for this!

I brought it up from above the accelerator pedal, along the left side of the center console then left along the trim and to the top of the steering wheel console. I just unlocked the adjustable steering wheel and pulled it out and down and then tucked the wire in the crease. I read somewhere here that the OEM place to put the mic is in the steering wheel console so at some point, I'm going to try and get it in there. Right now it's just sitting above the cuts in the console where the mic should be.
Haha. I think I understand. Unfortunately, I think it's the exact same spot I put my V1 concealed display. Something like this?

Old 11-22-2010, 03:43 PM
Kuhan
Racer

Haha. I think I understand. Unfortunately, I think it's the exact same spot I put my V1 concealed display. Something like this?
Where your cable comes out from the crease is exactly where my mic is. Since it's a small cable, I'm sure you can fit it in there as well. I believe the OEM position is there but under the plastic housing (either on the left or right side). I can't remember where I read this but there are two mic places on the left and right side of the steering wheel console. One is where the mic for the stereo goes so "dynamically" adjust the volume and the other is where the mic for the phone goes.

Quick Reply: Dension Gateway 500 iPod Adapter Arrived Today