Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dension GW 500 as first mod - works :-)

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 07:35 PM
man_of_ice
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dension GW 500 as first mod - works :-)

Ahhhh - last week I finally got back into driving a Porsche by buying a nice 2005 Boxster S.

One thing lacking was bluetooth as well as support for my music library.

I ended up with buying the Dension 500 (bluetooth module backorder - hopefully get one soon).

Although I did not have a CDC, simply taking a cable from the navi drive in the front trunk and inserting the GW 500 worked right out of the box - even without dealer programming. I had checked if a CDC was enabled (holding main and trip - no CD changer showed up), so was slightly nervous.

The entire install took maybe 1 hour of pre-order checking what kind of optical connector I had, if I was able to get the navi drive out of the bay and the cables out of the navi drive etc.etc. Installing the thing took maybe 30 mins tops. Definitely something anyone can do.

Time to decide on storage media. I could route a iPhone cable to the cabin, but that would really screw up the entire idea of using bluetooth phone etc. A hassle to always plug/unplug phone.

So either I had to buy an iPod/iPhone more exclusively for the car, use an USB stick or an USB harddrive.

Decided on the harddrive, as the iPods are expensive (for what I needed them for). USB sticks of 32 GB and similar cost more than a 250+ GB harddrive. And are damn slow.

So I then found a 250 GB USB harddrive that claimed to use 2 watts - which should be enough to run off the USB power cable only. And behold - it worked too. On a streak here :-D

Being on a Mac with iTunes I started to look for any way to export my library and playlists to a mass media. Damn that was hard. Lots of options for Windows, but very little for Mac. In the end I found iTunesExport - here http://www.ericdaugherty.com/dev/itunesexport/

It can extract your music and playlists and convert it. Perfect.

Thats where I hit my first brick wall - and I'm still here without a solution.

The playlists that got exported dont seem to show up on the Dension. And I have no clue why.

So if anyone has gotten m3u playlists working with USB harddrives - could you please try to post 4-5-6 lines of your playlist + tell me where on the USB you put it?

Anyways - first mod done. On to the next one. Been trying to argue with myself if I should do a short stick or the best audio player of them all - sports exhaust :-D

Pics soon

/Thomas
Old 07-25-2010, 12:00 PM
dremora
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you come across the Gateway Indexer on the Dension web-site? It may help you and it's here http://www.dension.com/index.php?pageID=229
Old 07-25-2010, 02:42 PM
man_of_ice
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey - yeah. Found it, but it doesnt solve the playlist issues :-(

I've got various nice playlists in iTunes that I would love to select to play vs. just the complete albums

/Thomas

Quick Reply: Dension GW 500 as first mod - works :-)