Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dension Gateway 500 iPod Adapter Arrived Today

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007 | 01:23 PM
svinaik
Advanced

Originally Posted by Eric - Plug Guy
Aaron, I have forwarded all of this to Dension for review. I'll email you when I have a response.
Eric,

I recently upgraded the firmware to the latest version 1.04. In the previous version (V1.0), I had selected the "+select" mode on the diagnostic screen and could access the tracklists and paging etc. but the firmware V 1.04 resets the gateway 500 to a "Text" mode only which causes the the issues with no details on the tracklist. It could be solved by resetting the mode to "+paging" or "+Select" through the diagnostic mode but the issue is that now the diagnostic mode does not come on even after repeated attempts by switching the "Selector" switch.

I feel stupid upgrading to the V 1.04... previous version was good enough..

Any help will be much appreciated
Old 03-03-2007 | 03:17 PM
rickhuizinga
Advanced

I'm having the same problem with getting the configuration menu to come up using the 1.00 firmware. I've never got it to come up since getting the unit.
Old 03-03-2007 | 06:11 PM
svinaik
Advanced

Originally Posted by rickhuizinga
I'm having the same problem with getting the configuration menu to come up using the 1.00 firmware. I've never got it to come up since getting the unit.
Rick,
I can get into the configuration mode in my 997 dension unit. That unit is still on V1.00 firmware. My Cayenne is now on V1.04 firmware and I have lost the ability to get into configuration mode.

V1.00 on 997 is working fine and I get all the details (Tracklist) when I move between the CD lists but V1.04 is messed up. It only shows the tracklist details when the unit is playing CD5 i.e. "My Ipod" on the startup but as soon I go to any other playlist.. it goes into a zombie zone of "Loading"...

Those who are happy with V1.00, please stay there and do not upgrade to V1.04 till Dension sorts it out.
Old 03-03-2007 | 06:23 PM
rickhuizinga
Advanced

After reading the release notes, it seemed like the focus of the R1.04 release was to support SAAB autos. I was thinking that they might not have spent the time re-testing the Porsche functionality, which was the focus of the R1.00 release. As a result, I decided not to upgrade...

Can't you download the R1.00 firmware and place it on USB drive and "upgrade" the unit to R1.00?
Old 03-03-2007 | 07:17 PM
wolftrap
1st Gear

Yes, downgrading R1.04 to 1.00 revived the ability to enter configuration mode and display track listings in my Cayenne..
Old 03-03-2007 | 07:20 PM
dndodd
Racer

Installed mine today.

Thanks for all the help from this board.

I am just using a USB drive right now it works great. Bought to mainly use for XM. That will be the next project. I didn't want to go with the factory XM because it won't give me stock quotes like the Roady will.
Old 03-03-2007 | 07:27 PM
svinaik
Advanced

Originally Posted by wolftrap
Yes, downgrading R1.04 to 1.00 revived the ability to enter configuration mode and display track listings in my Cayenne..
How do I downgrade?. Is that file available at Dension site?.

Thanks
Old 03-04-2007 | 12:20 AM
msh26
Instructor

Default Help

I just tried to install the Dension unit and although I thought it should be simple I've now got the PSM error and no PCM use now. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, I have the Cayenne unit with Sirius installed (by a professional last April).

1. I removed the CD changer completely, but I could not get the power plug pulled from the unit so I cut the wires intending to splice them with the Dension unit. Does that plug pop off?

2. I've spliced the brown wire from the CD changer to the black wire on the Dension unit and then spliced the yellow/red wire to the red wire on the Dension.

3. Shouldn't I be able to put the Dension in the place of the CD changer? Anyhow I just don't have power to the Dension unit so I need to start there.

Please provide insight. I am kicking myself for not having a professional do this now.
Old 03-04-2007 | 01:58 AM
acf
Racer

Hey msh, the power plug does come out but it is difficult. I had some trouble figuring out the right way to pull the plug and I almost resorted to cutting it but with the help of a friend we managed to track down a clip that needs to be pushed down. Once you do that, the plug slides right out. If you unscrew the metal case that surrounds the plugs on the cd changer, you can see the little clip. I dont think you're far off from getting it to work, so your dension fiberoptic cable doesnt have the red light emitting at all? I read that's one way to see if the dension is getting power.
Old 03-04-2007 | 07:44 AM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

msh, the red/yellow is hot, the brown is ground. look for red light in line before you
hook it all up, push fiber cables together before you place connectors on to make sure they mate properly. Than shut off car and put on alarm. Wait 5 minutes or so for PCM to go off. Than open car and see if it is recognized. It may save a trip to the dealer.
Old 03-04-2007 | 10:40 AM
neil.schneider
Drifting

Mine works and I am extremely hesitant to "upgrade" to the newer firmware. That said, sure glad dension got all the bugs out before release.
The first four playlists are pretty easy to play/understand. The menu system is not that great and once you are in it and playing an individual song it is hard to get back out to the main menu to choose another song. In my experience that is.
Old 03-04-2007 | 01:11 PM
msh26
Instructor

Originally Posted by aaronchanfilms
Hey msh, the power plug does come out but it is difficult. I had some trouble figuring out the right way to pull the plug and I almost resorted to cutting it but with the help of a friend we managed to track down a clip that needs to be pushed down. Once you do that, the plug slides right out. If you unscrew the metal case that surrounds the plugs on the cd changer, you can see the little clip. I dont think you're far off from getting it to work, so your dension fiberoptic cable doesnt have the red light emitting at all? I read that's one way to see if the dension is getting power.
This helps a lot. I knew it had to come out.

Yup, I connected the power without hooking up the FO becuase I wanted to see the lights coming through the Dension and they weren't lit. I'll need to get a volt meter and maybe that 12V cigarette lighter adapater for testing that someone had.

Thanks, Mike.
Old 03-04-2007 | 01:38 PM
atomic80
Pro

Thanks for the tip on sticking with v1.00 instead of upgrading to v1.04. I just downgraded mine.
Old 03-04-2007 | 01:59 PM
msh26
Instructor

Default Sirius

Does anyone have the Sirius (Cayenne unit) installed along with the Dension unit?
Old 03-04-2007 | 04:01 PM
svinaik
Advanced

Originally Posted by atomic80
Thanks for the tip on sticking with v1.00 instead of upgrading to v1.04. I just downgraded mine.
Can you please guide how you went back to V1.00 from V1.04. Do you have the file for V1.00?. If so, can you please email me?. I have been looking at dension site for the V1.00 but cannot get it.
if you have the file, I can PM you and give my e-mail address.

Sincerely appreciate.

Quick Reply: Dension Gateway 500 iPod Adapter Arrived Today