Dension Gateway 500 iPod Adapter Arrived Today

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 08:39 AM
svinaik
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Folks,

just to share what my dealer tech did. He said that gateway 500 power connection does not have a fuse. It is always hot wired which is probably not a good thing. He has installed a fuse for gateway 500 unit as well.

I had it installed in Cayenne. Hidden under the dash and behind the PCM unit. IPod connection and Aux connection in the center storage box. All hidden.

One thing that new folks should know that when setting up the config mode and also when using the dension interface, give the unit time. Do not try to do things too fast like moving between the different playlists or moving between different menu options. If your Ipod had lots of music, it takes time to go through. I loose the track list details if I switch too fast. Other than that, it is very cool.

I am now getting ready to install in my Carrera (997 with PCM) as well.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:47 PM
pbednarzyk
1st Gear

My Dension unit arrived Saturday, have it installed but looks like I will need to have the PCM programmed to recognize a CD changer. Now the million dollar question, has anybody run the cables for the aux-in, USB, and i-Pod to cabin? If so, how did you route the cables? Install was pretty easy using the power lead for the cd changer on the passenger sided of the trunk and the MOST cables behind the steering pump on the driver's side. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:12 AM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

i-pod and switch Cables are not long enough to run easily from trunk to eg: glove box.
My unit is mounted behind glove box!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/33889996@N00/?saved=1

Last edited by larrytrk; 02-12-2007 at 08:34 AM.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:41 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 421 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by larrytrk
i-pod and switch Cables are not long enough to run easily from trunk to eg: glove box.
My unit is mounted behind glove box!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/33889996@N00/?saved=1
That sucks - I was really hoping to mount mine in the center console. I have an 80 GB with movies and other non-music items on it, so it would be a waste to leave it in the car all the time.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:34 PM
Midnight Blue
Advanced

Originally Posted by gravedgr
That sucks - I was really hoping to mount mine in the center console. I have an 80 GB with movies and other non-music items on it, so it would be a waste to leave it in the car all the time.
From the install pix, it looks like he mounted the DENSION unit behind the glovebox, not the iPOD itself. Doing so, the cable to the iPOD should be plenty long enough to install it in the glovebox, don't know about the center console though.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:23 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Midnight Blue
From the install pix, it looks like he mounted the DENSION unit behind the glovebox, not the iPOD itself. Doing so, the cable to the iPOD should be plenty long enough to install it in the glovebox, don't know about the center console though.
If you mount the Dension unit behind the PCM, no problem with I-pod in center console!!
I wanted it in the Glovebox, There is little enough room in the center console!
Old 02-12-2007, 11:21 PM
brente2
Track Day

Has anyone had the experience that when in the Dension/PCM menu (CD 6) the Dension seems to time-out after a number of seconds and registers the item it was on as being selected?

I have enabled 'toggle' and can move through the menus fine, but if I pause on an item too "long" and haven't selected it yet, the Dension unit registers it as being selected. Is this just normal behavior? Seems like it shouldn't do this, but wait for me to push the **** to select it.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:32 AM
Raptor
Addict
Rennlist Member

Guys: Sorry for the belated post, but I just received my unit. You CAN extend the connection to the center console, as I did in my 993 Dension - same cable connection for the iPod as the iceLink from Dension. Just get a printer serial cable extension. I have 10' extension on my 993. Meanwhile, anyone do the Cayenne install yet - sure could use some pix before diving in.
Old 02-13-2007, 02:55 AM
jfraser
Instructor

Originally Posted by brente2
Has anyone had the experience that when in the Dension/PCM menu (CD 6) the Dension seems to time-out after a number of seconds and registers the item it was on as being selected?

I have enabled 'toggle' and can move through the menus fine, but if I pause on an item too "long" and haven't selected it yet, the Dension unit registers it as being selected. Is this just normal behavior? Seems like it shouldn't do this, but wait for me to push the **** to select it.

Yep...I have experienced the exact issue you describe...Hopefully they'll take care of this in the first firmware uograde
Old 02-13-2007, 07:25 AM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jfraser
Yep...I have experienced the exact issue you describe...Hopefully they'll take care of this in the first firmware uograde
I believe the same thing occurs if you are choosing MP3's in the single CD player or Radio frequencies.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:25 AM
Midnight Blue
Advanced

This is the same behavior that the PCM exhibits across many functions. Even without Dension, if you scroll to select a CD from the changer or a specific CD track, the PCM will accept that selection after a brief period of inactivity even if you do not press the **** to select that item.

For example, when scrolling through tracks on a CD if you don't want to change the current track, you need to scroll back to the current track before the time out period expires else the PCM will change to the track ro which you have scrolled.

I would also like a parameter in the Setup screen to disable this functionality but I think it has been implemented to make the PCM require less attention from the driver while driving.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:19 PM
roger995
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I installed the Gateway myself a couple of days ago....it was a very simple procedure....

Tapped into the pre-installed cd changer cable (I don't have a cd changer) FYI. the red power wire on the gateway connects to the red/green wire of the cd changer power cable....the black wire on the gw500 goes to the brown wire of the cd changer cable.

I held all items in place with the 3m molding tape (VERY strong grip). Install took just under 2 hours (it only took that long because I really wanted the install to be very neat)..I reckon I could do the next one in @45mins.

Fired it up and worked perfectly.

BTW
you can use the traditional pcm controls (the rotary ****)...you don't have too use the <<&>> buttons.
to activate the rotary ****, set the configuration menu to TOGGLE+ (not paging).

I'm extremely impressed with the unit. The actual unit and ancillaries are beautifully made (it doesn't have the 'made in the back of a garage' look that the NAV TV has). There is almost no delay when searching thru very long lists (this was my biggest concern). All random & repeat functions work as expected.

I would have liked to see the artist name in the pcm main screen...not just the song name, but that really is my only gripe....

Best way to describe it is that I'm not sitting here hoping/waiting for improvements thru a firmware update...it already does what I want it to!!
Did you have to get the dealer use his fancy electronics to tell the head unit to find the ipod? Or were you able to do that yourself? Or did your PCM find it on its own? What do you use to 'tap into' the changer cable?

Thanks
Old 02-15-2007, 04:42 PM
hjacobs2000
Instructor

Ok I did the install with no problem ... however the pcm only show cd 5 and 6 as active. I also can't see the cd name or album, only all the tracks.
During the Install after toggling the aux box three time to get it into select mode, I selected the text option, but I don't know how to save it once I selected it How do you shut down the MOST system and restart it again like it says in the installation guide? Help.

2006 Carerra 2 CAB PCM 2.1 NAV

Last edited by hjacobs2000; 02-15-2007 at 05:24 PM.
Old 02-15-2007, 09:01 PM
Midnight Blue
Advanced

Originally Posted by hjacobs2000
How do you shut down the MOST system and restart it again like it says in the installation guide? Help.

2006 Carerra 2 CAB PCM 2.1 NAV
IIRC, you need to turn off the PCM unit, turn off the engine, exit the car, lock the car with the remote, wait 2-5 minutes, then unlock the car with the remote and start her up. I just read this within the last few days, but can not remember the source. Worth a try.
Old 02-15-2007, 09:10 PM
svinaik
Advanced

Hjacobs2000

Try this... On the ITunes playlists rename the playlist by including 1. 2. 3. & 4. before the playlist name. After this synch your Ipod again and then use it with Dension.

Dension unit is expecting to see a numerical number at the beginning of the playlist.

Quick Reply: Dension Gateway 500 iPod Adapter Arrived Today