Door ding avoidance for those daily drivers

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 11:01 PM
kauai_diver
Straight to Video
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door ding avoidance for those daily drivers

Didn't want to derail Dave07997S post inquiring about how many of us are daily drivers...

Just curious to what ends you go through to avoid dings? If I go someplace where like the grocery store I take the extra time to find an end spot or park on the street where I can't get dinged.

I get hard time from friends and family if they are in my car and I do this. I remember one time at the S.J. airport when I picked up my dad, all I'll say it was a good hike from the terminal back to the car
Old 01-04-2007, 11:06 PM
jnx
Three Wheelin'

I agree with this and do the same thing, but while my wife was out if town on business she parked her E Class away from everyone and some moron keyed the entire side from end to end. So sometimes parking way out draws attention.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:12 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

I do all I can to find a spot where someone can only park on one side of me. That cuts the chances of dings in half. Then I park as far to the non-car side of that spot as possible. In parking garages I always avoid parking on a slope where the car above me is positioned so that it's driver's door opens down-slope towards my car. There are some parking lots (mostly at certain restaurants) where I just won't take my Porsche if I can avoid it because I know there is never a good parking place. I don't care if people think I'm neurotic about it.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:34 PM
The B
Racer

LOL, I wish I had this problem, however, I have been liberated...every panel has at least one rock chip, and a repainted rear fender due to severe door ding. I'm over it. Go ahead, get a good door ding so you can just focus on driving the car.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:35 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

I do mostly the same thing.. Far away, park on one side of a spot as close to the curb edge. Away from trees etc.

I also use magnetic ding guards on spots that may be questionable. If I use these, it's in an area well seen by anyone in case some smart a$$ wants to do damage to my vehicle.

I also have a spare "beater" car for around the town trips.

SO what if I have to walk. Funny thing I do notice, the ones always fighting for the closest spots are mostly women with gym clothes on or have return from or going to a gym. Ironic, they'll walk on a treadmill for miles, but God forbid they have to walk across the lot! Odd trait around here.

Also avoid any areas that have a young crowd hanging around which normaly lead to a key job. Amazing how times change... At worst it was a potato in the tailpipe. Now, it seems madatory for them to spot a nice car and key the hell out of it.

Regards,
Deanski
Old 01-04-2007, 11:58 PM
kauai_diver
Straight to Video
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by The B
...Go ahead, get a good door ding so you can just focus on driving the car.
Hahaha thats funny sort of.

Actually not a ding but I do have a deep pit about the size of this period: . on the right rear hip which I had to touch up. Still can see it but doesnt bother me too much, hey its a daily stuff like that will happen right?

Yah Deanski I try to avoid places like a concerts or ball games, I take public transportation for that so I can enjoy some
Old 01-05-2007, 12:42 AM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Had some one shoot right rear of car w pellet gun as I was making left hand turn Drive by style Think he was aiming for tail light, missed by 2-3 inches Thank goodness for paintless dent removal Amazing how those things can draw your eye Wish I had the peace of mind to tune them out.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:01 AM
ECS
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Definitely do everything to avoid the dreaded dings and have been lucky so far. However, my biggest accomplishment has been getting my wife to accept my hunting and pecking for key spots without a derogatory word!
Old 01-05-2007, 01:12 AM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll park anywhere it's convenient. Even next to a loose shopping cart.

Really.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:13 AM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jnx
I agree with this and do the same thing, but while my wife was out if town on business she parked her E Class away from everyone and some moron keyed the entire side from end to end. So sometimes parking way out draws attention.
Same thing happened to my CS at the airport. Now, I always choose an end spot as others have noted, but I also try to stay within a reasonably populated part of the parking garage. Frankly, repairing a door ding costs $99, but to repair the one door panel that got keyed cost $800--you do the math!

Originally Posted by mglobe
In parking garages I always avoid parking on a slope where the car above me is positioned so that it's driver's door opens down-slope towards my car.
Now that is smart...that is a new one for me to think about! One strategy I use that has not been mentioned is to select a particular type of end spot -- one that is adjacent to a spot on the left side of my car. There is a reduced probability of door dings because relatively few cars will be carrying passengers who will be exiting the vehicle on the right side adjacent to the left side of my car.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:13 AM
The B
Racer

[QUOTE=kauai_diver]Hahaha thats funny sort of. QUOTE]

Right, I did not get to feel this way out a choice-just silly events to one car in a short period of time. What are the odds of rock chips on every panel?
Old 01-05-2007, 01:24 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 217 Posts

My '02 M3 was my first, new, expensive car. I was so paranoid, I hardly drove it and sold it after a year with 7k miles. I swore I would never do that, so although I keep an eye out for choice spot and am careful about obviously high risk parking neighbors, I park it wherever is convenient.

I also didn't buy the clear bra because I don't like the looks and rock chips help you get over the butt-pucker factor of the first car injury.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:25 AM
Raptor
Addict
Rennlist Member

Kurt: Always an end spot for perpendicular slots, with the nose close to the non-car side and as much diagonal as possible (when someone pulls in next to me they usually pull in perpendicularly, and that their tail is close to my tail but it also means the door is generally safely afar). SJC, if no end spots available in Term A, use the fourth floor and stay off the ramps. Sanatana, use the lower level, east side. Valley Fair, parallel on the ramps, west side garage. Yeah, I am sort of ****, but so are many of my friends. So far, 35 years of Porsches and never a ding (as I just knocked on wood).
Old 01-05-2007, 02:08 AM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

whatever you do don't park close to the edge of the line. If it's a huge spot, and you park funny far from the curb, you might have a person like a friend of mine park their motorcycle there - or have a car two inches from you - haha - just makes it tougher for you to get in - no dings.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:46 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

For those with short memories (or those who could use more tips):

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/274867-do-you-park-it-differently-specially.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/224510-would-you-take-your-car-to-places-where-parking-space-is-tight.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/175745-car-keyed-again.html

Quick Reply: Door ding avoidance for those daily drivers