Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New here

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2006 | 09:25 PM
afridi
Racer

Default New here

Hi I'm new and the owner of two BMW M3's (e46 and e36).
I am planning to move to a 997 (letting go of my 46) and havent fully decided on a base vs an S.

I plan to use it as a daily driver (with few exceptions) and track it a few times a year.

Am doing a bunch of searches on basic questions (such as C2 vs C2S and driving on snows etc) but will post the odd question if i cant find answers.

Cheers!
Old 12-25-2006 | 10:38 PM
Jerry Fisher
Instructor

I went from E46 to 997S. Very very happy with S but I do not drive it daily. I am also in Midwest and would go w/a C4 or C4S if it were a daily driver even w/ snow tires. Obviously, the S has more power and bigger tires OEM so the reg Carrera or C4 would probably be a better choice if you are concerned about having more bad weather traction.

I had full intention of trying a non S c-4 when I went to check out the C2S I wound up buying but never went any further than the salesman's desk after I drove the C-2S. I was sold and it was just a matter of hammering out the numbers. I wish I had tried a car w/o PASM just for comparison.

If money is part of the decision..a non S car equipped with the std. equipment of an S ( except the unavailable items even as options on non-S cars) costs around 4.5K -5K less.

Good luck..either car is a big change from the E46 M-3.
Old 12-25-2006 | 10:47 PM
afridi
Racer

Thanks. I wouldnt mind the non S car but am worried I'll be wanting the S soon after I buy the base car.
I'll also have to give the C4 a look.

Am really looking forward to moving out of the e46. Good car for a while, but the e36 still seems better and the Porsche has its own "feel" that I am sure will be entertaining for a long time!
Old 12-25-2006 | 11:27 PM
Jerry Fisher
Instructor

Drive them back to back and decide. The C2-S they had in stock was exactly what I wanted (after they changed out the wheels) so my focus was on THAT CAR HOW MUCH and WHEN CAN I PICK IT UP.

No matter what you buy in a vehicle, you can always want more or find someone bigger and faster.
The performance envelope of a Carrera S is so vast, its hard to imagine using more performance on the street. Except possibly for the mid range torque, I doubt the difference to a C4 is that dramatic.
Old 12-26-2006 | 12:47 AM
jw1977
Pro

I came from an E36 as well as an e46 M3 and can't believe how much better the Carrera S is. I'm surprised by how much more I love the 911 compared to the M3.
Old 12-26-2006 | 01:35 AM
PAULSPEED
Pro

Hi,
I would recommend the C2 S. Nothing would
be worse then followig a 997 S on the track with
your new 997.
Paul
Old 12-26-2006 | 09:15 AM
current47
Intermediate

New to p-car as well and contemplated the same issue (997s vs non-s) a few months back. I only use the car on the weekends and don't intend to drive it in the winter. I ended up getting the 2006/997s for the following reasons:

-Resale value (heard and read that come upgrade time, the s is more desired, retains more value)
-Red brakes (non-standard on regular carrera from what dealer told me)... For me, it was more asthetic than brake performance...
-Power increase (I'm the type that would lose sleep knowing that there is a 997s is out there and I didn't get it)
-It was available in the color I wanted, it had the PSE factory installed, short-shifter, 19in sport design wheels...etc.. I bought it on the spot...

Lastly, as Paulspeed put it...

"Nothing would be worse then followig a 997 S on the track with your new 997"
Old 12-26-2006 | 11:02 AM
afridi
Racer

Originally Posted by PAULSPEED
Hi,
I would recommend the C2 S. Nothing would
be worse then followig a 997 S on the track with
your new 997.
Paul
I think that pretty much sums it for track days