Another Valentine 1 Installation

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 12:22 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by outofmoney
Wow it is clear from the law enforcement website that if pulled over for speeding and officer sees the RD=ticket for certain. This definitely makes me want a stealth unit.
Cheers.

I wouldn't go overboard for the statement of one alleged 'law enforcement officer.' (Besides, we don't really know if these guys are LE people or cop wannabes). I would think that if a LE officer stops a Porsche they can assume that the driver has some sort of 'protection' unit installed, whether it is visible or not, just by the nature of the car. (It wants to go fast).
Old 03-06-2007, 02:51 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Seems to me if you are paranoid about an officer or a thief seeing your radar detector then a stealth install is the only way to go. Either system mentioned here probably provides reasonably equivalent detection.

I think having a V1 mounted way up above the rearview mirror with concealed wiring and where you can flip down the visor is a good way to go and FAR less expensive system. Unless the officer is really looking hard he won't notice the suction cups up in the tinted area of the windscreen.

I'm pretty sure all our cars sit too low for a visual from behind in a standard height patrol car if the V1 is mounted way up high above the rearview mirror. The detector is also hard to see if you are standing along side the passenger side and looking inward. I've never had an officer stick his head inside my vehicle and look up, but then again, with the V1 I've never been pulled over in my 993. That must mean I either drive too conservatively or my detector is doing its job. Its probably a little of both.

If you'll notice in the far away shots of my current and past porsches below you can't see the detectors in either car where they are located. Just mount them up high and you're good. Radar reflects so even if the detector doesn't have the optimal unobstructed line to the rear a radar hit will likely bounce off stuff and set it off.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:49 PM
carpundit
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by outofmoney
Wow it is clear from the law enforcement website that if pulled over for speeding and officer sees the RD=ticket for certain. This definitely makes me want a stealth unit.
Cheers.
Late to the thread - I was researching how to mount my V1.

I was a Trooper once, and I wrote a lot of speeding tickets. My subjective experience is that once the Trooper pulls over your Porsche, you're getting a ticket anyway. But, yes, an RD is a guaranteed ticket - it shows that you're a professional speeder, not an accidental one.

Oh, and the Trooper almost always sees you pulling down your RD, now matter how stealthy you think you are. Troopers' lives depend on their being able to spot what happens inside the car, so they focus on it.

CP
Old 03-29-2007, 12:35 AM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

CP, thanks for the advice. It will make me a lot more cautious even with the K 40. As I've told those on the board before, I can't tell you the number of times I've driven past a state trooper and the K-40 didn't go off. That's because they probably have instant on and didn't have anything else emitting from their car. What we really need is a state trooper car detector, LOL. Take care and thanks again for the insight.

Jay
Old 03-29-2007, 01:29 AM
ChipAZ
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Out here in New Mexico I've noticed that a lot of construction sites, border patrol checkpoints and small towns have some sort of transmitter that sets off my Radar detector. The Highway Patrol turns on their radar at accident scenes. I thinks that's a good idea.

I had a Highway Patrolman do a VIN inspection on my Cayenne. I'm sure he saw the marks on the windshield. Didn't say a word and seemed like a nice guy, but I'm sure he give me a ticket if he caught me speeding too.

I go the speed limit around the local towns where I live. There aren't that many cops around here and I don't want reputation that I drive really fast. They know my car.
The following users liked this post:
JBari (08-06-2020)
Old 03-29-2007, 08:14 AM
carpundit
Three Wheelin'

DJ-
I see you're from CT.
My brother was a Trooper there. They use a lot of laser.
CP
Old 04-01-2009, 10:02 AM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I use my V1, but it works best for the local PD's. The state PD use instant on and it's over.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:07 PM
pbarch1
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I kind of figure if I'm being pulled over I'm getting a ticket. Either I'm not good looking enough or just too guilty, but I've never talked myself out of a ticket.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:44 PM
jasvoboda
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know who installed mine as i I bought the car with 400 miles on it. The Valentine display is in the rear view mirror. The sensors are mounted under the front plate and the rear plate, very discrete. The on/off/volume buttons are under the hand brake in the console. In addition there is a Blinder laser warning light (green/red) inside the overhead light lens. I thought it was pretty cool. No idea how much it cost.
Old 09-29-2009, 12:32 AM
WaltB
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 67 Posts

Dan,

Very nice installation. I went with a different solution to the problem.
I was more interested in operational capability than stealth and mounted my remote on the steering wheel stalk. From there the display is within my field of view while driving. I also had different color bulbs installed in the remote. Blue-Laser (Although my Laser Interceptor jammer orally screams that at me already.) Red-Ka and Yellow-K. (X-Band is disabled)
I found in my cab with the top down that I had a hard time differentiating oral alerts, and that's if I could hear them to begin with depending on my speed. With the remote location and colored bulbs I immediately see the threat and can also identify it by color. (Especially at night) RED-BAD, Yellow-Caution, could be bad.
The actual V1 unit is on the windshield on the other side of the mirror. On my side I felt it blocked part of my upwards view.

Again nice install.

Walt

Here are the pics:

Old 09-29-2009, 01:09 AM
StanThePorscheFan
Rennlist Member

I have just ordered my V1 and was planning on installing it in exact same spot (to the left of the mirror). However, I am just trying to understand why you would use a secondary display so far out of your line of vision, when there is a unit already instaled right where you are so used to throw quick glances at. Also, can't your V1 be clarly seen through the windshield from the front? Enlighten me, please. I must be missing something.
Old 09-29-2009, 01:39 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Actually, the Valentine is not that noticeable from front or rear (particularly if you turn the visor downward). The front view is blocked out by the upper tint. My reactions are not based so much upon the type of alert, as opposed to any alert at all (audible). If you take the time to look at the display before you react you are already behind the power curve. I use it for basic SA,--Situation Awareness, and when on longer trips, slip the cover piece off so that I can see the display for its positional information (arrows) more than the type of band that is interrogating me. Some police enjoy playing with people who have radar detectors up in their windshields by positioning themselves behind the subject vehicle and then issuing a quick transmit to see if anything lights up in the vehicle. Routinely that prompts the subject to reach up and squelch the alert. The reaching up is not missed by an alert cop. If you can squelch the alert with your hand close to the stick shift it doesn't prompt any unusual movement aside from that encountered in typical driving motions. If that display stays dark the police may assume that there isn't a unit up there in the window. (This is particularly true during night operations).

More important than anything that a radar detector can tell you is good experience and intelligence about the area through which you are driving. If you are not certain of the police threats in an area, do not speed,--PERIOD. I use the Valentine 1 for SA and rarely actually look at the display,-but then again, this is during normal operations with speeds close to the marked speed.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:25 AM
NiteJav
Burning Brakes

Received 302 Likes on 178 Posts

Couple of side notes, on my cross country journey last year pretty much every cop I encountered east of the mississippi is using laser. Buying a jammer is no longer so much of a luxury as it is a necessity. You may say I don't speed etc. but the problem with Laser guns is they are very inaccurate if used inappropriately. By inappropriate I mean holding the gun in ones hand. Unless they use a tripod or a fixed point shooting cars that are moving at 65-70mph can result in highly erroneous results. It was proven in England several times. Hit up you tube or google it to see what I mean.

On a side note pretty much any Audi from 2007+ may have whats called audi side assist. The damn thing runs on K-band, so if any of your radar detectors ever go skitzo on K band and there is not a cop in sight look around for a newer Audi and that might be the culprit. (2007+ A8/S8, Q7, A6; 2009+ A4/S4). If you're wondering why they used K band, I am not totally sure but radar detectors are illegal in Germany anyway so they don't care. Then again they still have sections of highway with no speed limit either.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:43 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Also, keep in mind that laser jammers are pretty much illegal in the majority of states.

Walt--I like the imposed multi-colored bulbs (LEDs) as well. Someday Mike Valentine needs to changeover to those.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:12 PM
NA011
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Mike Valentine, I've been using your product since you left Cincinnati Microwave. My only issue is that your Laser warning sound and lights need to be LOUD & bright.

Quick Reply: Another Valentine 1 Installation