997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cost of Speed?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006 | 11:15 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Highest speed on a ticket was 97 in a 55. Only cost me $135 (thank goodness for small counties), and I was 18. Only ticket so far in the 911 (knock on wood) was for "failure to signal lane change" - the guy said he couldn't keep up with me long enough to pace me (he was very unhappy). This cost $145.

On a side note, an article on MSN over the weekend said Georgia is one of the top 4 costliest states for speeding. First time offenders can rack up a $500 ticket.
Old 12-20-2006 | 11:37 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I chuckle at threads like this....it's such a no brainer to exceed the speed limit by large amounts.
IMO are US roads are not conducive to this behavior, for the most part they are in dis-repair and will pound the crap out of you, not to mention the surprize expansion joints, debris...tire snakes, lawn chairs and the like.
A puff of a crosswind is an interesting experience in tripple digits.

High speed driving in urban areas is just plain nuts.

The rush for me is on the track, where you really can experience all the capabilities of the car. Coming into a blind right hand turn that falls away at tripple digits, now thats a rush.

Having driven on the Autobahn where a steady state cruise at 130 is comfortable and relaxing because the roads are designed so, attempting to drive fast on US roads is pale and pointless.

Old 12-20-2006 | 12:16 PM
MyEmily
Racer

Good morning and Thanks Board...Seem most tickets here are issued under 100mph. Just wanted to read some of the story that are outhere.

What's the cost of taking it to the track? California speedway? Am looking to Emily to the Track to let her go wild. But first, gotta attend a driving school. Board, any recommedations?? Again, thanks in Advance!!!

Happy Holidays!!!
Old 12-20-2006 | 12:38 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Sign-up and attend PDE

http://www.porschedriving.com

You will not regret the decision to do so.
It is GREAT
Old 12-20-2006 | 07:45 PM
kw_1055
Instructor

MyEmily, sounds like you are in SF area. Join the PCA. They have track days. Diablo has one coming up in May at Thunderhill near Willows.

BTW, I got pulled over doing 75 when the limit was 65 on 101 between LA and SF. Small town. I don't even consider that speeding.
May be the car.... you think?
Old 12-20-2006 | 08:23 PM
Rick in Colorado
Instructor

A few years ago, my boss (a CEO) was caught dead-to-rights by radar on I70 at 140+ mph in his 540i. 12 points and instant loss of license for 6 months. I think that triple digits gets you into a whole new range of hurt.
Old 12-20-2006 | 08:26 PM
Rick in Colorado
Instructor

Originally Posted by MJones
I chuckle at threads like this....it's such a no brainer to exceed the speed limit by large amounts.
IMO are US roads are not conducive to this behavior, for the most part they are in dis-repair and will pound the crap out of you, not to mention the surprize expansion joints, debris...tire snakes, lawn chairs and the like.
A puff of a crosswind is an interesting experience in tripple digits.

High speed driving in urban areas is just plain nuts.

The rush for me is on the track, where you really can experience all the capabilities of the car. Coming into a blind right hand turn that falls away at tripple digits, now thats a rush.

Having driven on the Autobahn where a steady state cruise at 130 is comfortable and relaxing because the roads are designed so, attempting to drive fast on US roads is pale and pointless.

How do they eliminate the "puff of a crosswind" issue on the autobahn? Just kidding.
Old 12-21-2006 | 12:18 AM
MyEmily
Racer

Nope, I live in L.A. but travel to SF very often. Have several friends living theres and loved Alioto by the Wharf. The I5 was one long straight road. Very similar to the turnpike @ FL. And Speed!!! During my younger days w/ a VW GTI, zipping back and forth on the I5 was a blast!!. Now w/ Emily, mmmmm and you are right, it's the car. Some cops give some respects to the P-car while to other, it's an automatic speed ticket.
Old 12-21-2006 | 05:27 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

I'd expect anyone caught speeding like that would be 1) Thrown in jail, 2) have their license taken away, 3) be considered "bad examples" of what the organizations like PCA and RL stand for, etc. This type of behavior is one of the main reasons the general public has such a poor impression of drivers of Porsches and BMWs - spoiled immature risk takers driving 100-150 on the highways...

Take it to the track. Spend the $150 to $250 a DE costs and enjoy. 4 x 25 minute sessions or more in a safe environment - no traffic, excellent information via flaggers, no kids coming out onto the street on a bike, no sudden lane change from a young mom and her kid swerving to avoid an animal, etc. You might think "there was nobody on the highway", but you might lose control of your car, hit some fluid or sand, have a mechanical problem, blow out a tire, hit a deer, etc. Plenty of people are killed or maimed (drivers, passengers, innocent bystanders) every year driving that fast.

Sorry about the lecture - I've just read too many stories about people driving 100+ and killing themselves and / or others. As a parent, I pray I don't get a call some day that somebody traveling that fast hurt (or worse) my son or daughter.
Old 12-22-2006 | 01:14 PM
bdmason
Instructor

Thank You Ron I'm glad to hear some of you guys are thinkin straight . I originally wrote a similiar post and was basically told to shup up and stop actin like a father.
Old 12-24-2006 | 04:38 AM
racefacerider
Track Day

I got OWNED doing 93 in a 55. It was my first time being pulled over, so he gave me a big break. Regular ticket is over $400; mine was $85.

Quick Reply: Cost of Speed?