Sponsored by:

Replaced 997 motors or trannies?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006 | 07:16 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by useridchallenged
How many 997 owners have had their motor or transmission replaced under warranty?

As I get close to the 50k mile point on my 997 and thinking about whether to get the extended warranty / service contract, I'm wondering what the odds of blown motor or tranny are. After all, I view the extended warranty as a safegaurd against high-dollar catastrophic failures (engine, tranny), as the service contracts cost $3500 (more if you purchase one after the car is ex-warranty).
$3500 seems steep..........have you shopped?........ultimately its best if you can get the warranty from the dealer that's your planned primary sevice point........but a little research & leverage wouldn't hurt. If it were $2500 I'd be saying take it w/out doubt.

I just paid for engine replacement in an 02.........fluke, she popped a timing chain.....when that happened, I said to myself, any M96 based cars I'd have in the future I'd either flip before they're off warranty or buy extended.
There will always be 'flukes'. But today's M96 based engines are better.....continue to improve. My replacement engine came with many improved parts, the beefier cam shaft bearings, many pieces with current 997 part numbers.
Old 12-23-2006 | 02:03 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Originally Posted by pcar964
Sorry to hear that. By the way, I didn't think Porsche even bothers repairing these engines, I've never heard of them replacing just the block. Maybe they do things differently over there?
It's not just "these engines", Porsche replaces turbo and GT3 engines en bloc instead of repairing them as well. Unfortunately it's the way they do business these days.

Quick Reply: Replaced 997 motors or trannies?