Sponsored by:

What does your steering wheel feel like at 70 mph

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2006 | 02:15 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Default What does your steering wheel feel like at 70 mph

70 mph on a smooth highway.
What does your steering wheel feel like?
Is it perfectly still?

Mine has a wobble in it. Took it to the dealer. They balanced the tires and said the alignment was ok. Still wobbles at 70-80.
Old 12-16-2006 | 02:17 PM
Matt(inMA)
Not in MA anymore
Rennlist Member

Mine is rock solid. Never a wobble. It shold never wobble. Only Weebles wobble. I'd take it back to the dealer for a closer look.

Matt
Old 12-16-2006 | 02:24 PM
Tedder Bear
Needs a Chuckle
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Matt(inMA)
Only Weebles wobble. Matt
But they don't fall down

By the way, mine's rock solid at 70 - 80 MPH (the steering wheel, not the weeble)
Old 12-16-2006 | 02:30 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

My steering wheel is rock solid even at 140-150.
If the car is not 'pulling' I would imagine that one of the wheels is not properly balanced - they may need to do it again. Did you by chance ever use the Porsche fix-a-flat on your rubber?
Old 12-16-2006 | 02:37 PM
The B
Racer

I have the same experience, after a few visits to dealer, tire shops and more time in the car I've decided that it really depends on the highway. Some are like glass very confidence inspiring ("alligator Ally" in south FL, and parts of the 15 fwy between Vegas and Orange Co.) and others like the 215 in Vegas have my car wobbling and bouncing all over the place at any interesting speed. I would describe all the highways mentioned as new and smooth until I had this car.
Old 12-16-2006 | 02:40 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by The B
... I would describe all the highways mentioned as new and smooth until I had this car.
I hear ya! Put the PASM in sport and you can feel the individual segments of an ant's body as you roll over it.
Old 12-16-2006 | 02:44 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by Coochas
My steering wheel is rock solid even at 140-150.
If the car is not 'pulling' I would imagine that one of the wheels is not properly balanced - they may need to do it again. Did you by chance ever use the Porsche fix-a-flat on your rubber?
Man, I can only dream of going 140-150.....in my Mini. ... In my 997 too. I think the fastest I've gone is 120, and that's a stretch. Been pretty much confined to city driving (local freeways too).

But as far as your wobble, ELUSIVE, it sure sounds like an unbalanced wheel, to repeat what others have said.

It seems to me that if it does it only as you reach that speed it would have to be either in the front end suspension or an unbalanced wheel. Hopefully they are dynamically balancing the wheels.

Ask the tech to go along with you in the car, better yet, have him drive to feel for himself what you mean.
Old 12-16-2006 | 02:45 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by The B
I have the same experience, after a few visits to dealer, tire shops and more time in the car I've decided that it really depends on the highway. Some are like glass very confidence inspiring ("alligator Ally" in south FL, and parts of the 15 fwy between Vegas and Orange Co.) and others like the 215 in Vegas have my car wobbling and bouncing all over the place at any interesting speed. I would describe all the highways mentioned as new and smooth until I had this car.
Good point.
Old 12-16-2006 | 03:06 PM
Pugnacious
Racer

Originally Posted by OCBen
Man, I can only dream of going 140-150.....in my Mini. ... In my 997 too. I think the fastest I've gone is 120, and that's a stretch. Been pretty much confined to city driving (local freeways too)...
Ben, you need to go for a drive! I would be happy to show you around the Julian area. Last Sunday the San Diego region of the PCA came up here for brunch and a few weeks before that the Orange County region of the PCA was up here on a Saturday for lunch. We have some great roads up here I would love to show you and lunch is on me.
Old 12-16-2006 | 03:09 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pugnacious
Ben, you need to go for a drive! I would be happy to show you around the Julian area. Last Sunday the San Diego region of the PCA came up here for brunch and a few weeks before that the Orange County region of the PCA was up here on a Saturday for lunch. We have some great roads up here I would love to show you and lunch is on me.
Can I come too? I was told to never turn down a free lunch.
Old 12-16-2006 | 03:14 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by Pugnacious
Thanks Pug. I'll take you up on it, if you let me buy the beers.

Yeah, I know, I missed the trip with my fellow OCR gang that went up there. I kept getting the emails about it and really wanted to go, but I'm so bogged down with stuff at home that I haven't even made it to the monthly meetings in months. One of these days though I need to go there. Is it great apple cider that's there this time of the year?
Old 12-16-2006 | 03:15 PM
PAULSPEED
Pro

Hi,
I would find another shop to align your wheels. The wheels
them selves might be the problem. Look at the serial numbers on the
front tires and see if the numbers are way off. Sometimes different
production runs poduce very slight differences in tires. You could
also lower the air pressure a couple of pounds.
Paul
Old 12-16-2006 | 03:16 PM
Pugnacious
Racer

Originally Posted by Coochas
Can I come too? I was told to never turn down a free lunch.
You bet!

We have some great roads around here. The best time to enjoy them is during the week when there is less traffic. Weekends can get busy with “flat landers” (tourists form the city) and law enforcement becomes more prevalent.
Old 12-16-2006 | 03:20 PM
Pugnacious
Racer

Originally Posted by OCBen
Thanks Pug. I'll take you up on it, if you let me buy the beers.

Yeah, I know, I missed the trip with my fellow OCR gang that went up there. I kept getting the emails about it and really wanted to go, but I'm so bogged down with stuff at home that I haven't even made it to the monthly meetings in months. One of these days though I need to go there. Is it great apple cider that's there this time of the year?
Ben, I look forward to it! I'll have to trade the beers for diet coke! I think the apple cider is a year round thing.
Old 12-16-2006 | 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by ELUSIVE
70 mph on a smooth highway.
What does your steering wheel feel like?
Is it perfectly still?

Mine has a wobble in it. Took it to the dealer. They balanced the tires and said the alignment was ok. Still wobbles at 70-80.
What tires do you have?

Quick Reply: What does your steering wheel feel like at 70 mph