Sponsored by:

Oil change at 2000 miles?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 01:10 AM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
Au contraire, Digger. Allow me to introduce myself.

The reason it sounds "very good and logical" is because it is based on scientific knowledge. Granted, not many of you have the scientific background that I do, and as a service to the community here I try to shed light on those technical matters that fall under my purview of expertise, even though many of you may not be able to corroborate it on your own. And so, yes, I do have the background and authority to back up my statements.

P.S. Detailing is just a hobby of mine. Perhaps you're confusing me with someone else.
There is No Bull**** in the above post!
Old 12-13-2006, 01:15 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Pugnacious
You must have been asleep in class when they were talking about oil filtration systems. ... As you can see, the oil filter cartridge is symmetrical; it can be installed in the oil filter canister in either direction.....
What the hell are you talking about, Pug? I never said the oil filter cartridge is not symmetrical.

Have you gone senile??? .... Sheeesh!
Old 12-13-2006, 01:18 AM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by gpjli2
So, Ben, you believe it is not necessary to prefill the filter and you do not recommend prefilling the filter, but you approve of it.
You are making absolutely no sense whatsoever, Gerry.

Speak intelligently if you wish to be understood.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:07 AM
jerryrice
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:
What the hell are you talking about, Pug? I never said the oil filter cartridge is not symmetrical.

Have you gone senile??? .... Sheeesh!

I’m not the one that has gone senile here as I don’t recall ever stating that you said the oil filter cartridge was not symmetrical. I was only pointing out that your
Quote:
...explicit in-depth scientific knowledge regarding wear-in and lubrication...

may not be up to speed when you previously stated in your Oil Change DIY
Quote:
...I think you might be confused. The oil filter cartridge does not seat inside the housing...

I only mentioned the fact that the oil filter cartridge is symmetrical to demonstrate that one end must be plugged for the filter to do its job, in this case plugged (as in seated) by a round metal sleeve located on the bottom of the oil filter canister. The fact is the oil filter cartridge does seat inside the housing, it has to for the filter to properly do its job and filter the oil otherwise the majority of the oil would simply pass through the unplugged opening circulating unfiltered oil throughout the engine. As an engineer I am sure you understand the dynamics in play here and could undoubtedly explain the theory much better than me.
Fencing over an oil change WTF
Old 12-13-2006, 09:03 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by jerryrice
LOL I agree. Some sensitive egos on this forum, not to mention condescending personalities.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:03 AM
OCBen
Banned

I don’t recall ever stating that you said the oil filter cartridge was not symmetrical.
Well, you clearly don't understand logical reasoning very well (no big surprise there), but you don't offer proof of something you're not trying to prove. It distracts from the point you're trying to make.

Geeze, I can't believe you're so hardheaded. You definitely chose the right username because you definitely like to fight over silly matters.

One last time and I really hope it goes through this time, I was referring to the instructions in the official Porsche Service Manual (which I happen to have a copy of) that specifically states to seat the oil filter cartridge into the engine block first, as this makes for easy installation, and then screw the filter housing into it to seat the other end of the cartridge, not back-asswards as you were advocating. Granted it was poor wording on my part, but as Chris Farley used to say: whoopi-frickin-da! -- I was a little careless there!

I made it clear from the start that my DIY instructions were based on the official Porsche Service Manual instructions. And I told you that if you wanted to show a different method of doing an oil change to go through the trouble of putting together your own instructions and sharing them with the community.

Trolls like you never bother to take the time and effort to do anything constructive for the Rennlist community. You instead relish every opportunity to criticize and nitpick the little things that someone may have overlooked in their effort to do something constructive for the community at large that will benefit those looking for help and advice. You should be ashamed of yourselves for such destructive behavior.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:05 PM
OCBen
Banned

However I wouldn’t say I have never had anything constructive to add to the community. Are you forgetting the PM I sent you...
Is that what you consider adding something constructive to the community sending me a pm about a typo??? Is that the best you could come up with??? Is that the extent of your positive contribution here? ... Wow, how pathetic is that?

And you're wrong again. I knew the difference.

Your problem is that you're probably jealous of me and others like me who have made something of their lives. And now in your old age you fritter away your retirement years being vexed by should-a, would-a, could-as. And you resent being corrected by guys half your age.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:33 PM
ChipAZ
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, how many took their oil filters out of their cars last night and can't put them back in?
Old 12-13-2006, 01:47 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

DUH! WHICH END OF THE FILTER GOES UP?
Old 12-13-2006, 01:59 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

you mean there's an UP?
Old 12-13-2006, 02:09 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

com'on guys, it's Christmas time, we should talk about headlights...

Old 12-13-2006, 02:32 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by THPorsche
com'on guys, it's Christmas time, we should talk about headlights...
Now that's a sight for sore eyes.

Hey Tom, maybe you can write a detailed DIY on how to evaluate headlights......for night time use of course.

Old 12-13-2006, 03:40 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Now that's a sight for sore eyes.

Hey Tom, maybe you can write a detailed DIY on how to evaluate headlights......for night time use of course.

Not an expert on it but I think I am pretty good at adjusting them with my hands
Old 12-13-2006, 03:50 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by THPorsche
Not an expert on it but I think I am pretty good at adjusting them with my hands
Sounds like you're more of a "hands on" guy then.......who needs to feel his way around first before coming to conclusions. (double entendre intentional)
Old 12-13-2006, 03:59 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jerryrice
My money is on Ben - Go Ben!!!

Quick Reply: Oil change at 2000 miles?