Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default so what was the final outcome?

so what was the final outcome?
Old 08-31-2010, 10:48 PM
jgoga
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

Anybody know what the final outcome was here?
Old 09-03-2010, 08:01 PM
Scanners
Intermediate

Im surprised no one else has chimed in with this problem, its definitely not normal and it is definitely annoying.
Old 12-07-2018, 01:18 AM
granprixweiss928
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Mine does this too. 2007 C2S 35K now.

my neighbors 2006 C4S does not so this
Old 10-11-2019, 08:50 PM
alpo44
1st Gear

Default sporadic thump!!!!

Did anybody ever figure this out??? Res B was four service appointments deep and then left us all hanging!

what happened?
Old 10-11-2019, 10:13 PM
BLU997
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 103 Posts

I would say Res B signed a non disclosure clause if the factory agreed to replace the Gbox..
Old 09-20-2020, 08:52 AM
ewc
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 65 Posts

Bumping up this old thread bc I have the same issue on my CPO 2010 997.2 base manual — hear and feel a thump in the rear when I push down the clutch fully when changing gears, especially on 1-2 and 2-3 shifts while slowly accelerating at “neighborhood” speed. Seems like the clutch is releasing and then the thump. The sequence is, depress clutch pedal fully and hear a thump before I even shift the gearbox. Oddly, I’ve tried NOT fully depressing the clutch pedal to the floor and it seems to help? Maybe bc the shift happens quicker and revs don’t drop as much?

The OP never posted his solution, and the assumption is that he got a gearbox replacement. Seems like a mixed bag from people on whether this is “normal” or not. I’m taking my car in for a warranty check, and would like to know some key words to tell the dealer so they don’t give me the “they all do that” story. Thanks.

Originally Posted by ECS
Quick question. I have approximately 5k miles on my '06 Carrera S and every 20 to 30 clutch engagements/disengagements there is a minor thump that happens in the rear engine area. Dealer didn't notice anything but it is hard to duplicate. One thought is that it could be part of the adjustable clutch system? Any one notice a similar issue?
Old 09-23-2020, 02:29 PM
ewc
Racer

Nobody has this issue? Seemed kind of common from the earlier threads. My car is going into the dealer next week to get this thump looked at. I find it pretty annoying and detracts from the driving experience as I try different techniques to avoid thumping along.

Originally Posted by ewc
Bumping up this old thread bc I have the same issue on my CPO 2010 997.2 base manual — hear and feel a thump in the rear when I push down the clutch fully when changing gears, especially on 1-2 and 2-3 shifts while slowly accelerating at “neighborhood” speed. Seems like the clutch is releasing and then the thump. The sequence is, depress clutch pedal fully and hear a thump before I even shift the gearbox. Oddly, I’ve tried NOT fully depressing the clutch pedal to the floor and it seems to help? Maybe bc the shift happens quicker and revs don’t drop as much?

The OP never posted his solution, and the assumption is that he got a gearbox replacement. Seems like a mixed bag from people on whether this is “normal” or not. I’m taking my car in for a warranty check, and would like to know some key words to tell the dealer so they don’t give me the “they all do that” story. Thanks.
Old 09-23-2020, 03:37 PM
Alfnado
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by ewc
Nobody has this issue? Seemed kind of common from the earlier threads. My car is going into the dealer next week to get this thump looked at. I find it pretty annoying and detracts from the driving experience as I try different techniques to avoid thumping along.
I get this thump too, mostly 1-2, sometimes 2-3, but not otherwise. Given the dearth of information about a "fix", I assumed it was normal.
The following users liked this post:
ewc (09-23-2020)
Old 06-29-2022, 07:41 PM
Goose 993
Pro

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts

Have this as well. Not a big deal.
Old 06-29-2022, 09:58 PM
ewc
Racer

To update the thread, switching to Function First engine mounts mostly cured the the thump issue. I also recently changed the clutch and the problem is mostly gone and no longer a concern.
Old 06-30-2022, 12:01 AM
Durling21
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

I have a brand new clutch and flywheel and have the thump. Just one of the quirks I’d say.
Old 06-30-2022, 04:09 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 735 Likes on 421 Posts

I have asked about this at two different shops. One shop the not-a-car-guy-SA (more sales associate than service advisor) just immediately started a ticket for a whole clutch replacement and wouldn't stop pushing for it even after I left and a mechanic was waiting for the car to cool. Car cools down, mechanic looks at it. The clutch is fine and the mechanic says it is just a quirk of the self adjusting clutch, which I have never had before. There were more reasons this particular shop lost my business but the non-car-people SAs was crucial IMO.

Next service, I take it in to an owner/mechanic. New shop, new guy—I say that every once in a while, mainly on 350+ mi drives, when I shift after being on the freeway for over an hour, I will get a clunk, or an odd feeling in the clutch. He sells me on just a basic service but says he will look at it. He calls me a few hours later and the car is ready for pick up. He tells me my clutch is good and acting normal. Then, he explains the self adjusting clutch to me again...

One thing I have noticed since getting my car in January of 2018 with only 16k on the odo (a 2006 model), is now that the car is being driven regularly both freeway and canyon drives, Everything has gotten smoother and works with less odd feelings after about 16k more miles have been put on. The motor is WAY more smooth. The tranny is MUCH more smooth. Everything just feels way more buttery now that the car has been driven on road trips and daily + ACH canyon runs.

Quick Reply: Sporadic clutch thump