Sponsored by:

Piloti Driving Shoes

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 07:26 PM
D.D.
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Piloti Driving Shoes

Anyone here use Piloti Driving Shoes?? If so....how would you rate them for everyday wear and driving.? I am lookimg for a comfortable driving/walking shoe for weekend wear. My deck shoes slip on the pedals when wet and do not offer much support. Any info would be appreciated...Thanks...
Old 11-27-2006, 07:35 PM
Kevin H. in Atl..
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a pair of Piloti "Mulholland" casual driving shoes. Had them for a couple of years, and I like them for casual driving and AX. Very comfortable, but I would not recommend them as "walking" shoes due to the flat sole and lack of arch support. But for just hanging out and driving, they're great. I would definitely buy them again. A high quality shoe imho.
http://www.piloti.com/products/produ...rod_sku=PR11-4
Old 11-27-2006, 08:11 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I use a set of nomex Pilotis for the track. They stand up to a long day very nicely and actually were my only shoes for One Lap in 2005. Don't remember what model (maybe Monaco in Black / Gray), picked them up at BeaveRun. To be honest with you, I my Sperry Billfish shoes are great for driving and everything else (topsiders are thinner for better feel, but aren't that great outside of the car).
Old 11-27-2006, 08:24 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I just ordered some Piloti Prototipos...
Old 11-27-2006, 11:23 PM
JSMDMD
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I got mine.....

I got a pair from Groits last year. Very comfortable to drive in, but I don't use them to walk in very much. As was mentioned before, the soles are flat and they don't give much support when walking.
Heel and toe shifting is easier to do with them, and I can use all the help I can get doing that on the track!
Old 11-28-2006, 10:23 AM
PDQ PDK CAYMAN S
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you really do heel and toe? In a 997 I use the ball of my foot and rock my foot so the little toe area blips the throttle. With that I like to wear a wide shoe. I wear Topsider SB 870 which have a wide sole.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:23 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 217 Posts

I've always wanted to learn how to heel & toe, and after watching a few of the japanese racing video where they show the driver's feet as they go around the track, I think I get the idea of how it works. The problem is a) daily shoes are too bulky (size 12 Nike's) and b) I rarely find myself breaking hard enough to do it (i.e., brake pedal not depressed enough to reach the gas pedal).
Old 11-28-2006, 11:43 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

My Heel and Toe is more like a Ball-of-the-foot and Side-of-the-heel. It's all what is comfortable. I've seen those Japanese videos where they have 3 cameras so you can see the footwork. Great stuff. The way they "stab" is really something. My style is a little more subtle and relaxed - probably because there's no prize at the end of a DE and I want to be gentle on my car. Nothing like getting a "Heel-Toe" just right going into Big Bend...
Old 11-28-2006, 12:26 PM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I've had a few pairs over the years. They are fine for driving, but I don't like them once out of the car. My normal shoe size is a 13/14.
Old 11-28-2006, 02:51 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They have become my every day shoe. Excellent comfort. I've walked all over San Francisco, up and down the hills, and crossed the bridge on foot twice all while wearing Piloti's.

Fantastic shoe that I learned about here. Highly recommended.
Old 11-28-2006, 03:04 PM
spazegun2213
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Sloth
I've had a few pairs over the years. They are fine for driving, but I don't like them once out of the car. My normal shoe size is a 13/14.
you must be a big guy.

I bought a pair of the corsa's for racing and I love them. I can walk around the paddock, race, and drive back home in them with no problems.

I'm a 12EEEE for most shoes so my 13's are a little narrow for me. but there are no EEEE sfi rated shoes that I've found.

Still they are amazing shoes.
Old 11-28-2006, 04:08 PM
icruze
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try some of the puma driving shoes. They come in a bunch of colors and are pretty comfy.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/265348-piloti-shoes-chicago.html
Old 11-28-2006, 05:00 PM
D.D.
Race Car

The Puma's also look like a good choice. I wear a 7 1/2 and really want to "feel" the pedal when driving. I guess from the posts, that I will not have comfortable "walking" shoes and driving shoes together. Thanks for the info....You all have been quite helpful to Santa!!
Old 11-28-2006, 06:45 PM
JSMDMD
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I try....

Originally Posted by 997S X PO BOX
Do you really do heel and toe? In a 997 I use the ball of my foot and rock my foot so the little toe area blips the throttle. With that I like to wear a wide shoe. I wear Topsider SB 870 which have a wide sole.
I do the same thing, using my heel to rotate my foot onto the accelerator pedal while still depressing the brake pedal. I can only do it when braking hard, as that seems to be when the brake pedal and the accelerator pedal seem to be aligned.
I have been thinking about getting a different pedal setup with a wider accelerator pedal to make it easier.
Old 11-28-2006, 07:15 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,039 Likes on 553 Posts

Originally Posted by D.D.
Anyone here use Piloti Driving Shoes?? If so....how would you rate them for everyday wear and driving.? I am lookimg for a comfortable driving/walking shoe for weekend wear. My deck shoes slip on the pedals when wet and do not offer much support. Any info would be appreciated...Thanks...
I have two pair; one dress pair for the office at work and a grunge pair for more casual use.

If they are not on my feet, then I am naked!

Okay, I may have slippers on in the morning to walk the dog.

Quick Reply: Piloti Driving Shoes